Why only USA and Europe in the Mosconi Cup?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny because a lot of my friends from there are very good boxers. Guess your friend got lucky
Hardly. Marine DI for over 15yrs. Knocked-out that mouthy prick with one shot. He doesn't box, he fights. BIG difference. One time got goaded into a deal with a supposedly 'Golden Gloves' boxer in San Diego. Lasted all of about a minute max. Mr. Golden boy needed some serious medical attention when it was over.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering about why only USA and Europe are in the Mosconi Cup? It seems they are missing some of the best talents in pool without Asia or Philippines. It would be great to see the top four regions in pool compete on the best stage in pool. How would the USA do in that context? On a side note, why are there not more tournaments like the Mosconi Cup? I would love to see the US Open and more pro tournaments with a rowdy crowd like that. I think that would generate A LOT of interest by non-pool players and advance the sport. Seed the crowd and let it happen.
I'm guessing two reasons. First they want viewers and they figure Europe vs USA will draw viewers. Second they want Europe to win and Europe vs Philippines could get Europe's butt kicked and result in lower viewership for future events.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing two reasons. First they want viewers and they figure Europe vs USA will draw viewers. Second they want Europe to win and Europe vs Philippines could get Europe's butt kicked and result in lower viewership for future events.
I don't think they want EU to win. We (the US) roasted them until Euro pool caught up. They're just better than we are now. Simple as that.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering about why only USA and Europe are in the Mosconi Cup? It seems they are missing some of the best talents in pool without Asia or Philippines. It would be great to see the top four regions in pool compete on the best stage in pool. How would the USA do in that context? On a side note, why are there not more tournaments like the Mosconi Cup? I would love to see the US Open and more pro tournaments with a rowdy crowd like that. I think that would generate A LOT of interest by non-pool players and advance the sport. Seed the crowd and let it happen.

There are other events for other countries. It's like asking why don't we have trucks racing in the F1 races. Asia Games have pool in it although that is not with US or European players, World Cup of Pool has various countries, in fact, most major tournaments will find Asian vs US vs Europe playing, just not in teams.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've got the World Cup of Pool for that, a doubles event having teams from dozens of countries. This year, it was won by Team Germany.

Europe vs Asia in a five-on-five team match might be interesting, as they could combine to field ten players having a Fargo Rate of over 810, but don't call it the Mosconi Cup.
They had World Team Championships 3 times around 10 years ago. At least 4 person per team. 40+ countries
Won by UK, Taiwan, China. Didn't take off in popularity. Am sure Matchroom would have done far better job running it. :LOL: