Why only USA and Europe in the Mosconi Cup?

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering about why only USA and Europe are in the Mosconi Cup? It seems they are missing some of the best talents in pool without Asia or Philippines. It would be great to see the top four regions in pool compete on the best stage in pool. How would the USA do in that context? On a side note, why are there not more tournaments like the Mosconi Cup? I would love to see the US Open and more pro tournaments with a rowdy crowd like that. I think that would generate A LOT of interest by non-pool players and advance the sport. Seed the crowd and let it happen.

Geosnookery

Perhaps. However Americans, like all nationalities, like winners. Americans would often finish last.

Most popular sports in the world by viewers

Soccer
Cricket
Field Hockey
Table Tennis

Compare them in the USA to an interest in American football, baseball and basketball. Insane interest even at the high school level. Americans aren’t going to watch being defeated repeatedly by Asians in pool and the talent gap is growing. In contrast the USA could likely field 50 teams that could defeat any other country in basketball.

I remember once turning on the tv and a basketball game. Score was something like Team USA 70, Canads 12. …likely quickly switched to Hockey or Curling just to keep some dignity.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering about why only USA and Europe are in the Mosconi Cup? It seems they are missing some of the best talents in pool without Asia or Philippines. It would be great to see the top four regions in pool compete on the best stage in pool. How would the USA do in that context? On a side note, why are there not more tournaments like the Mosconi Cup? I would love to see the US Open and more pro tournaments with a rowdy crowd like that. I think that would generate A LOT of interest by non-pool players and advance the sport. Seed the crowd and let it happen.
Been that way from the start. Tradition. As for rowdy fans?? Screw all that. The MC's lunacy once a yr. is more than enough. Want rowdy then go to a football game. I like applause for good play but not that euro soccer-style craziness.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The euro fans at the Mcup are mellow, go to Europe and see other sport and you’ll understand. Americans are stoic fans at best.

Can’t compare America to Europe. 2 places 2 cultures. Both have their ways.

Americans have this notion that everyone should be “American” it just don’t work like that.

Trotting the globe one country at a time,
Fatboy😀✈️✈️

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The euro fans at the Mcup are mellow, go to Europe and see other sport and you’ll understand. Americans are stoic fans at best.

Can’t compare America to Europe. 2 places 2 cultures. Both have their ways.

Americans have this notion that everyone should be “American” it just don’t work like that.

Trotting the globe one country at a time,
Fatboy😀✈️✈️
The Euros in Vegas one yr were complete and total tools. One popped off to a friend and ended up in the emergency room. They're good at running their mouth but not much else.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I think it would liven things up. If you added China (or Asia) and each team played two shorter matches, you could increase the variance so everyone had a shot at winning (for fan interest).

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wouldn't want the MC crowd at any other event. but there is some merit to wanting a more engaged crowd than we have at most contemporary events - it adds pressure, table gets tighter, every shot gets tougher. i like that. the world championships in the noughties were great in that regard

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You've got the World Cup of Pool for that, a doubles event having teams from dozens of countries. This year, it was won by Team Germany.

Europe vs Asia in a five-on-five team match might be interesting, as they could combine to field ten players having a Fargo Rate of over 810, but don't call it the Mosconi Cup.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
In contrast the USA could likely field 50 teams that could defeat any other country in basketball. I remember once turning on the tv and a basketball game. Score was something like Team USA 70, Canads 12. …likely quickly switched to Hockey or Curling just to keep some dignity.
Was that one the year the "unstoppable" USA olympic team crapped the bed and lost to Argentina. Or maybe one of the more recent outtings that they managed to win by small margin. "50 teams"...? Maybe a few, if they get the rolls. ;)

...and maybe we should give some credit to the baseball teams out of Japan. They aren't no slouches...

Yes, the USA is dominant in the games they are simply obessesed about, or the other games only they play (football).

Geosnookery

You've got the World Cup of Pool for that, a doubles event having teams from dozens of countries. This year, it was won by Team Germany.

Europe vs Asia in a five-on-five team match might be interesting, as they could combine to field ten players having a Fargo Rate of over 810, but don't call it the Mosconi Cup.
Also depends where events are held. In Taiwan? Hong Kong? Some events in the last couple years don’t have all been best Asians attending.

Reactions: sjm

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because USA and Europe have been competing in golf’s extremely popular Ryder cup for many decades before the Mosconi Cup was invented, to be pool’s version of the successful Ryder Cup.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The Euros in Vegas one yr were complete and total tools. One popped off to a friend and ended up in the emergency room. They're good at running their mouth but not much else.
Funny because a lot of my friends from there are very good boxers. Guess your friend got lucky

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because USA and Europe have been competing in golf’s extremely popular Ryder cup for many decades before the Mosconi Cup was invented, to be pool’s version of the successful Ryder Cup.
Just for accuracy's sake: The Ryder Cup was US vs GB until '71 then vs. GB&I until 1979 when all of Europe was allowed. They did it because it was a total mismatch with a few exceptions. Once Euro players came in the Cup became what it is now.