Why tables lose their level?

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had RKC calibrate my GC, and it plays phenomenally, but its lost its level. Both rails cause the ball to roll inwards about 1/4in when rolled from head to foot. I'm wondering why tables lose their level?
This is a home table and I play every day usually. It isn't subject to high levels of play from other people, so there doesn't seem to be a reason for the table to lose its level, other than weather, foundation movement possibly, what else?
The table is on the first floor of the house with a slab foundation.
A buddy asked me the other day why tables lose their level if they started out level, and I didn't have a good answer for him.
Help me out AZers.
Thanks for your thoughts-Ryan

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But....

But it's not a Southwest GC.... :)
I was hoping for a bit more, but it's that simple?

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Chances are, the table settled a little bit and it effected the roll of the table.

Is the table sitting on carpet? If so there is a greater chance that it could have settled out of level. Once the table has been in the same location for a few months it should be "settled in" although there are other factors that could throw it off.... humidity, leaning on the table, loosened hardware, etc.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table had been setup for a year prior to Glen working on it, so I would think the carpet and pad would have been compressed. He did not disassemble the table. I'll double check the hardware to ensure everything is tight. Thanks-Ryan

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
......Both rails cause the ball to roll inwards about 1/4in when rolled from head to foot....

if i've understood your statement correctly, it sounds like you're saggin in the middle. which is not an unusual or particularly difficult issue to deal with.

pain in the arse? yes.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little support?

Well then it sounds like I need a little support, and it may be a job for Glen. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Gold Crown is on a floating slab. The floor cracks and I'm sure there is always some settlement. Very thin carpet is glued to the floor. I had some issue the first few years.
I think sitting on table/rails does not help. Not saying you did...just another reason to lose level.

I am not a mechanic, but my table is on a wooden floor, everytime we have a rainy week the table loose it level. Most probably wood absorb a lot of moisture and move. I have a car jack and precision level handy so every the table is out of level, just jack up and adjust. As long as the slate pieces are level then its easy to relevel the table. I can do it in less then 5 min. If you don't have a precision level, a frame mirror will do, put the mirror in the table bed and spin one of the ball ( make sure the ball and the mirror is clean ). The spinning ball will roll down to the low side of the table and you will now where to adjust the level.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well then it sounds like I need a little support, and it may be a job for Glen. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

What happens, is when slate is shimmed up for being swayback side to side, extra weight is being displaced on the cross members to support the lifting of the center of the slate, over time the cross members drop just a little under the extra weight, which is why most tables need to have the slates dialed in for level over a period of time, sometimes 2 or even 3 times, even with Diamond's:grin:

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I had my GC3 pretty level but it does go off every few months. I don't reshim for fear of popping a seam, I just adjust it by using the legs. Is this the wrong way? I really don't want to reshim, bondo, recover etc...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I thought I had my GC3 pretty level but it does go off every few months. I don't reshim for fear of popping a seam, I just adjust it by using the legs. Is this the wrong way? I really don't want to reshim, bondo, recover etc...

Frame level, and slate level are 2 different things:grin:

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RKC, I think you should take a Jamaican vacation, there's a GC3 waiting for you if you ever decide to...

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Gold Crown III.

My question is: What is the best way to check the level and adjust the legs if needed? I guess what I am asking is:

1. Will an ordinary level suffice? I realize a machinist level is probably required but not many have or can afford. Any tips as far as steps to use in placing the level at various positions on the table?

2. In adjusting the legs, is it OK to use a small jack and where is the best place or just how do you do it so as not to do any damage to the slate joints.

I appreciate any and all info on this subject.

Thank you

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am not a mechanic, but my table is on a wooden floor, everytime we have a rainy week the table loose it level...

Yeah I think some folks would actually be a little surprised at how much wood can swell and shrink, and how fast. A word to the wise: When you're working with wood, you're working with water.

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
Will an ordinary level suffice? I realize a machinist level is probably required but not many have or can afford.

I'm not a mechanic ... but I have an 8-inch Sterrett. A carpenters level will not do the job! Besides, it'll impress your friends when they complain that your tables are not level and you say, "Excuse me while I whup this out!"

A new 8-inch Sterrett can be had for ~$85 off of eBay. If you have a GCIII I would think you could afford one but times are hard.

I've developed my own progression for using it that works for me (depends on the type of table). So as far as placement for a GCIII goes I'll let a mechanic cover that question.

Last edited:

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Gold Crown III.

My question is: What is the best way to check the level and adjust the legs if needed? I guess what I am asking is:

1. Will an ordinary level suffice? I realize a machinist level is probably required but not many have or can afford. Any tips as far as steps to use in placing the level at various positions on the table?

2. In adjusting the legs, is it OK to use a small jack and where is the best place or just how do you do it so as not to do any damage to the slate joints.

I appreciate any and all info on this subject.

Thank you

This may sound crazy, but when I adjust the legs on my GC3, I kneel down under the table with my hands around the foot I want to adjust and use my back to raise the table. Just enough to reduce the friction of the foot I want to adjust and turn in quarter turn increments. Of course my back is pushing up on the frame, not the decorative skirting. I wouldn't know where to try and jack this thing up from...

I'm not telling anyone to do this, I'm not a mechanic. It's just something I've done to be able to do minor tweaks on my table. Maybe a mechanic might get a laugh out of it and tell me I'm doing more harm than good? As for the level, if you use a machinist level once, you can't imagine doing a table without one afterwards.

Last edited:

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may sound crazy, but when I adjust the legs on my GC3, I kneel down under the table with my hands around the foot I want to adjust and use my back to raise the table. Just enough to reduce the friction of the foot I want to adjust and turn in quarter turn increments. Of course my back is pushing up on the frame, not the decorative skirting. I wouldn't know where to try and jack this thing up from...

I'm not telling anyone to do this, I'm not a mechanic. It's just something I've done to be able to do minor tweaks on my table. Maybe a mechanic might get a laugh out of it and tell me I'm doing more harm than good? As for the level, if you use a machinist level once, you can't imagine doing a table without one afterwards.

Sounds like you have this down to a science. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was honestly hoping a real mechanic would chime in and let me know if my "method" was doing any harm before you tried it...