Why tournament blue?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to find a 9-foot table in a public room in Utah is tough. I heard that the University of Utah Student Union had a couple so I checked it out. Unfortunately, their school colors are red and white. I lasted about 20 minutes before my eyes begged for mercy. Almost as bad as the old, and now-closed, Pinky's in Colorado Springs. Their name says it allView attachment 585812.
Damn nice tables tho.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to find a 9-foot table in a public room in Utah is tough. I heard that the University of Utah Student Union had a couple so I checked it out. Unfortunately, their school colors are red and white. I lasted about 20 minutes before my eyes begged for mercy. Almost as bad as the old, and now-closed, Pinky's in Colorado Springs. Their name says it allView attachment 585812.
Obviously the color scheme is more important than anything else! I deal with this all the time with homeowners listening to their interior decorators on their pool table's cloth color choice. It's particularly a problem in college towns where the tables on campus and the surrounding area request colors matching the college's team colors. Sometimes they'll even pay to have the really cheap quality (but expensive to order) polyester cloth that has the college's logo right in the middle of the table!

289FIA

If I may sir...a lot of us here are gear heads as well as pool guys....

"289FIA" Gotta be something Ford Powered, fast and fun! Yes? Care to share details??
289 FIA Shelby Cobra replica ... built by ERA Replica Cars in New Britain, Ct. It is a dead nuts on replica of CSX 2345 .. one of the 5 original 289 FIA Race Cars that campaigned in Europe and was not wrecked. The original is in a Cobra museum in Colorado. Car has Jag IRS, the ERA racing rear end (they split the Jag hubs and have outboard brakes); 331 Stroker motor built by Keith Kraft Racing in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. On a chassis dyno put out 446 HP at 6000 rpm, and 326 to the rear wheels; Tremec 5 speed. Painted navy blue .. no stripes .. tan leather seats. Wanted a car that would be like the one I would have ordered in 1965 .. if I had the $$$ instead of having been a college freshman at the time. Had a poster from Mechanics Illustrated on my wall as a kid . . the summer that Carrol Shelby introduced the Cobra and ran photos of the same car (painted different colors) in 4 different car magazines in the month of July. A yellow car, green car, red car, black car. Gave the impression that he was in production and rolling .. when in fact he only had ONE prototype body from the Brits .. and a 260 V8 from Ford.

Attachments

• Cobra Time.jpg
    Cobra Time.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 70
  • ERA Fia Cobra.jpg
    ERA Fia Cobra.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 68
  • ERA 289 FIA.jpg
    ERA 289 FIA.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 73

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
289 FIA Shelby Cobra replica ... built by ERA Replica Cars in New Britain, Ct. It is a dead nuts on replica of CSX 2345 .. one of the 5 original 289 FIA Race Cars that campaigned in Europe and was not wrecked. The original is in a Cobra museum in Colorado. Car has Jag IRS, the ERA racing rear end (they split the Jag hubs and have outboard brakes); 331 Stroker motor built by Keith Kraft Racing in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. On a chassis dyno put out 446 HP at 6000 rpm, and 326 to the rear wheels; Tremec 5 speed. Painted navy blue .. no stripes .. tan leather seats. Wanted a car that would be like the one I would have ordered in 1965 .. if I had the $$$ instead of having been a college freshman at the time. Had a poster from Mechanics Illustrated on my wall as a kid . . the summer that Carrol Shelby introduced the Cobra and ran photos of the same car (painted different colors) in 4 different car magazines in the month of July. A yellow car, green car, red car, black car. Gave the impression that he was in production and rolling .. when in fact he only had ONE prototype body from the Brits .. and a 260 V8 from Ford.

Super nice! I bet that is a lot of fun when the weather is good! Thanks for sharing!

DangleShot

Apparently started due to the way color TV's filtered the Simonis tournament green that Diamond used on their tournament tables .. the green showed as a light blue to TV viewers .. and Diamond started to have people requesting the "blue" cloth. So they worked with Simonis to produce it .. and it is as easy on the eyes to play on as green .. and has become a very popular cloth .. all due to TV. Research was done on various colors to determine the optimal colors for minimizing eye strain and reducing shadows. Apparently the light grey is one of the best, with pale gold, tournament blue, and tournament green right behind. Was interesting to read that Willy Mosconi would ONLY play on light gold covered tables later in his career due to him being able to see the balls better on that color cloth.
I have a few videos taken of shots I played on my home pool table covered with 'standard green' granito taken a few days apart with the same lighting and the cloth looks anywhere from fairly blue to dark green across the videos. I should say I am partially color-blind... every time I play on a modern powdery 'tournament blue' color it looks electric and actually hurts my eyes a little. Most pool table cloth I've seen in my lifetime seems to be aqua/teal/blue-green, in between green and blue...my cloth is definitely closer to spruce green. I have less problem seeing the edges of balls than seeing the colors of the balls themselves...many older balls or ones that have faded or yellowed make it really tough to tell the difference between 2 and 4, 6 and 8, 3 and 7, 1 and 5, and the striped balls are even worse because usually glare can obscure most of the color on the ball. The brand new balls my dad bought in the early 80s from day one had most of the stripe colors very faded from the solid balls. I actually liked playing on the deep burgundy cloth in college even though I was covered in red dye and red chalk after.

Bill

289FIA

Don't have my rails installed yet .. didn't ship the correct pockets .. so my rails go on tomorrow .. however I was able to test my light box on the Simonis Tournament Green cloth .. looks great to me. Light has 6500 lumens and 4000 Kelvin.

Attachments

• Light test at night.jpg
    Light test at night.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 74

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So am I the only one who heard this story. I cannot remember where I got if from but there a couple of people I could mention but I will not do so because I am so unsure of where I got this. But I can assure you it is not something I dreamt up. and it came form some one in the pocket pool business.

So I was told that a standard color set of pool balls (Centennials or Aramith) was sent to a scientific color research company. ( I know that's a mouth full, but I can't recall who or where the balls was sent to). And it was asked of the research, "what color best shows the most contrast for these colored object balls?' And the color that came back was tournament blue. I believe there may be some validity to this story because I think it is not a coincidence that the U.S. Tennis Tournament playing surface happens to be very close to a Tournament Blue color. The Australian Tennis Open is also played on a bluish color but with a slightly grayish tint. It could be something about the light blue color on our eyes and it could also be something about the TB color and the contrast to the standard color of pool balls. And so I may then add, I cannot for the life of me why these new soft pastel ball colors have been introduced. They seem to disappear against the light blue color of TB cloth. You cannot say that these new soft colored pool balls recently introduced stand out or have more contrast against the tournament blue cloth.

Let the comments begin.

SurfTopics

The worst color is red. Hollywood Billiards went to red and red chalk in an effort to beautify the room. Besides making the place look like a boudoir, I played two days there and I had that stuff on my shaft and in my case for weeks.
I agree red is the worst. I have a friend with red cloth table. Fun to play with him but horrible conditions even though the cloth is still relatively new. Too hard to see and too messy. I even think red chalk skids more. Balls skid all the time on that table, more than anywhere else I've seen.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give me green. It was green forever until television/video pushed blue and the lemmings piled on.

Hmmm. When I learned to play in the early 70s it was on GC 1 tables with blue cloth that appeared to be Simonis or something similar (low nap), so blue was around before TV. I had to adjust to green when I got old enough to play on 7 footers in bars.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been looking at different Simonis color charts on the internet .. doesn't appear any more "bright / intense" than the tournament blue .. just a different color. A very clear contrasting green that is "bright" could be a great thing .. traditional green with easier / clearer ball recognition. Best of both worlds. Maybe do two tables to evaluate .. then the rest?

Be careful about judging color of cloth by viewing it on a computer monitor. Most consumer grade monitors are not true color. Ones that are tend to cost more than your computer. Simonis mentions this on their website http://www.simoniscloth.com/simonis-styles and they offer to send individual swatches or a swatch folder.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When the president of the start up I worked sold the company he started buying cars and bought a Shelby Cobra 427. It sounded beastly even at idle. He made the mistake of letting his wife, who was kind of a wild child, drive it and she swapped ends on dry pavement before his eyes after punching the throttle. Luckily nothing was harmed and she didn't get to drive it again.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to have it installed on my GC IV, but I also need some new rubber and the quality of work around where I live in central IL is scary! When it was installed I found what was supposed to be competent people in my area, and they installed the dome washers upside down and the pocket castings aren't exactly flush.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Very nice Cobra!! I thought the race version Cobras had the jacking attachments instead of the bumperettes?? I built Cobra kit car for a customer that I keep suggesting the jack attachments to replace his bumperettes. Its a 427 replica with a Kaase 514, Ford top loader, and a 9".

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Green has always been the color for pool/billiards/snooker. That is because our games were originally played outdoors on a lawn. At some point our games were moved indoors and the color of the cloth stayed that green color. Now days, we have more selections and recently tournament blue has become the color of choice. I read a study years ago that (I wish I could find it) MAN developed better eyesight looking at landscape coloration (via evolution) which is green and could distinguish better with those shades of green. There is little glare with the color green and IMO this study pointed out that the color blue, like the sky, makes it harder to distinguish objects and distance etc.

289FIA

Very nice Cobra!! I thought the race version Cobras had the jacking attachments instead of the bumperettes?? I built Cobra kit car for a customer that I keep suggesting the jack attachments to replace his bumperettes. Its a 427 replica with a Kaase 514, Ford top loader, and a 9".

The racing version did ... I had this built to replicate as closely as possible the car I would have purchased in 1965 if I had the money back then in high school! The body was splashed on CSX2345 .. one of the original 5 FIA race cars.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
So the FIA race version came with racing jack plates and the street version came with bumperettes?? Does yours have the extra wheel opening detail that the first showroom models did?? I learned an alarming amount of info building that replica for my customer, his I think is the more popular replica version 427 car with the fatter rear fenders. There are so many Cobra "experts" out there who dont even realize that there were several different versions of the Cobra bodies even beyond the fact that none were probably identical because they were all hand rolled. There was a guy up here in Manitowoc building exact Cobra copies with the big tube frames and aluminum bodies until Shelby shut him down.

289FIA

So the FIA race version came with racing jack plates and the street version came with bumperettes?? Does yours have the extra wheel opening detail that the first showroom models did?? I learned an alarming amount of info building that replica for my customer, his I think is the more popular replica version 427 car with the fatter rear fenders. There are so many Cobra "experts" out there who dont even realize that there were several different versions of the Cobra bodies even beyond the fact that none were probably identical because they were all hand rolled. There was a guy up here in Manitowoc building exact Cobra copies with the big tube frames and aluminum bodies until Shelby shut him down.
KIrkham Motorsports builds aluminum cobras ... 427's, 289FIA and I believe they added the slab side .. the car that was actually sold to the public. They sell aluminum bodies to Shelby American if Shelby gets an order for an aluminum bodied "continuation" car .. as they still sell the cobra but with a fiberglass body on the standard model. Mine was built by ERA Replica Cars in New Britain, Ct. They have been building superb quality fiberglass cobra replicas (289 FIA, 427SC, and even the Ford GT40). They stopped making the GT40 a few years ago .. it was an exact replica .. and even 12-15 years ago it was a $150,000 car. Kirkham has their aluminum bodies made at a former MIG fighter factory in Poland .. all cad cam equipment. They started flying raw bodies in 747 jets .. then developed jigs to carry them in ocean containers.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
KIrkham Motorsports builds aluminum cobras ... 427's, 289FIA and I believe they added the slab side .. the car that was actually sold to the public. They sell aluminum bodies to Shelby American if Shelby gets an order for an aluminum bodied "continuation" car .. as they still sell the cobra but with a fiberglass body on the standard model. Mine was built by ERA Replica Cars in New Britain, Ct. They have been building superb quality fiberglass cobra replicas (289 FIA, 427SC, and even the Ford GT40). They stopped making the GT40 a few years ago .. it was an exact replica .. and even 12-15 years ago it was a $150,000 car. Kirkham has their aluminum bodies made at a former MIG fighter factory in Poland .. all cad cam equipment. They started flying raw bodies in 747 jets .. then developed jigs to carry them in ocean containers.
ERA is the best replicar as far as I am concerned. I would have liked to have gotten a hold of one of their GT40 bodies. Did they quit the GT40 line or just the complete cars?? I think I saw that place in Poland on the interweb you speak of. Were they not building complete cars in Poland??

JC

Coos Cues
My 9' diamond pro had blue on it since it was set up back in 13. When it was time to recover recently I decided on green. Just tired of looking at the blue. I have no regrets. Variety is the spice of life.