and then take a hair dryer to dry it out
rather than wait the hours necessary to dry out on its own
will that damage my simonis cloth?
No, I do it all the time with a fan.

Reactions: bbb

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think it will hurt anything as long as temps are not too high. You really shouldn’t need a dryer though if you are just using a damp microfiber cloth. From my experience there really isn’t much of a wait time if the microfiber cloth is just damp.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
after vacuuming
if i wipe the table down with a damp cloth
and then take a hair dryer to dry it out
rather than wait the hours necessary to dry out on its own
will that damage my simonis cloth?
Getting the cloth wet allows the weave of the cloth to stretch more than normal, which means it loses its elastic memory to stay tight, so whats going to happen is the cloth is going to loosen up, and start playing slower.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don’t soak the rag. Clean it when you're done with your session and let it dry naturally.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just vacuum it. No need for a wet rag but if you must (as pointed out already) use and EXTREMELY wrung out microfiber rag. If it is taking hours to dry it is waaaaay too wet.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its my experience that vacuuming only doesn't take up 100% of the chalk. The only way to come close is to vacuum about every hour of play.
I'm normally too lazy to vacuum that often unless I'm getting ready for a tournament. In a 3C tournament the table is vacuumed after every game or every hour to 90 mins.

The Cobra suggest warm water and I agree even though my table is heated. I wring out as much water as I can possibly get out of the rag before wiping. It's a light wipe. Not a scrubbing action. Slightly more pressure than simply dragging the rag over the bed cloth.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its my experience that vacuuming only doesn't take up 100% of the chalk. The only way to come close is to vacuum about every hour of play.
I'm normally too lazy to vacuum that often unless I'm getting ready for a tournament. In a 3C tournament the table is vacuumed after every game or every hour to 90 mins.

The Cobra suggest warm water and I agree even though my table is heated. I wring out as much water as I can possibly get out of the rag before wiping. It's a light wipe. Not a scrubbing action. Slightly more pressure than simply dragging the rag over the bed cloth.
Most pool rooms i've been in you're lucky if they vac once a week.

• Wow

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My results have been different. I vacuum every 4th or 5th use of my table. Zero chalk dust on the slate when changing the cloth.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My results have been different. I vacuum every 4th or 5th use of my table. Zero chalk dust on the slate when changing the cloth.
That doesn't surprise me, but I'm more interested in maintaining consistent angles of the CB. Chalk changes the angles. The table shorter shorter.
After vacuuming, the cloth still picks up chalk. My vacuum is powerful. Brand that many auto detailers use. It's not a Rainbow but.....

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting the cloth wet allows the weave of the cloth to stretch more than normal, which means it loses its elastic memory to stay tight, so whats going to happen is the cloth is going to loosen up, and start playing slower.
I wonder if that principle applies (in much more of a minor way) to high humidity? Would the higher wool content of 860/860HR make it more likely to loosen up with time (as opposed to 760, which seems to better maintain it’s stretch)? While green 760 will speed up after it get well worn (and blueish with chalk stain), 860 seems to stay slow (?). Maybe the loss of tension is balancing out the polishing effect of wear/play?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wonder if that principle applies (in much more of a minor way) to high humidity? Would the higher wool content of 860/860HR make it more likely to loosen up with time (as opposed to 760, which seems to better maintain it’s stretch)? While green 760 will speed up after it get well worn (and blueish with chalk stain), 860 seems to stay slow (?). Maybe the loss of tension is balancing out the polishing effect of wear/play?
860HR has the same 70/30 wool/nylon blend, therefore are more humidity resistant IF the cloth was installed tightly, and correct. But yes, humidity will loosen the bed and rail cloth up noticeably if they're not installed correctly.