Will this size room work?

usmcss

Registered
Thanks Rake and ChrisinNC!

This has become a real pain in the ass! My wife now doesn’t want it in the living room and she’s not overjoyed about the kitchen/dining room!

Might just have to go back to the original plan of the Dining room and use the smallest cues, WHICH I DON’T WANT TO DO!!!

And as ChrisinNC said, this was my math error!!!

Thanks Guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you didn’t take delivery yet, can you change your order to a 7’ table? Even that will be too big for your space, but it will at least be slightly better than an 8’ table.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like becoming a family politics Q more than a math Q at this point. But i do have to wonder what would be wrong with configuring the "too small" room which is still pretty big? into the LR and using the current LR for the family rec room?

If the "other" room is somehow adjacent to the current LR or DR, I'd keep peace in the family by knocking out the entire wall, putting up a header or steel beam, and combining both floor spaces. :thumbup:

smt

usmcss

Registered
Since you didn’t take delivery yet, can you change your order to a 7’ table? Even that will be too big for your space, but it will at least be slightly better than an 8’ table.

We have been thinking about that. Thanks!!!

usmcss

Registered
sounds like becoming a family politics Q more than a math Q at this point. But i do have to wonder what would be wrong with configuring the "too small" room which is still pretty big? into the LR and using the current LR for the family rec room?

If the "other" room is somehow adjacent to the current LR or DR, I'd keep peace in the family by knocking out the entire wall, putting up a header or steel beam, and combining both floor spaces. :thumbup:

smt

Knocking the wall out won’t work. And my wife just feels that the Living room should be the place for tv for everyone. If I could make this work with the tv and chairs it would be a done deal for the living room. Maybe raising the tv up or putting it on the wall will do it.

I will get the dimensions of the room.

Man I want this to work!!!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

Same thought I was having. I wouldn't even consider an 8 ft in that amount of space and would cancel the idea of having a pool table completely if those were the only two choices. What is going to happen is that playing on it is going to be so frustrating that it is going to be used exactly twice before it is never used again and is relegated to future use as nothing more than the new laundry folding table.

A 7 ft table may end up being the same story with it also potentially being way too limiting and frustrating to use but at least with that one there is enough chance that it could be dealt with that it might be worth the risk to see. No chance the 8 ft is worth the risk because there is not much doubt about what is gong to end up happening.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about this:

1. Switch to 7': It will make placing the table in ANY room in your house easier. It will also be easier to make balls, and will probably be more fun due to that for your family.

2. Put the table in the middle of the living room. Move the couch backwards as viewing the picture all the way against the end of the living room wall. Then move the TV on top of the fireplace, so it is closer to the couch so your eyes don't strain as much viewing it. It will be at a right angle, but it looks like you have a wrap-around couch, so maybe not a big deal.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You my friend are going to have to play the long game with your wife. Cancel the order, and be totally bummed out about it.
Buy her something nice, and slowly start moving the living room downstairs. Start using that space for the 'new living room'.
Have the kids down there, set up the theater, you know, make it nice. Then when everyone is down there watching TV
pounce on the 'old living room' becoming the new billiard room...You have to have some patience and perseverance, and time, but you can do this.

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You my friend are going to have to play the long game with your wife. Cancel the order, and be totally bummed out about it.
Buy her something nice, and slowly start moving the living room downstairs. Start using that space for the 'new living room'.
Have the kids down there, set up the theater, you know, make it nice. Then when everyone is down there watching TV
pounce on the 'old living room' becoming the new billiard room...You have to have some patience and perseverance, and time, but you can do this.
If you really want to play it up make the downstairs room a man-cave and start doing things like family movie night down there. Get them all used to hanging out in THAT room, then "give up" your man cave for the kids and re-address the pool table in the living room. Sacrifice until you get what you want.

Disclaimer: I advise this course of action which I would never follow myself. Consider carefully. :grin:

usmcss

Registered
Guys!!! I can’t say how truly appreciative I am for all your comments, I have read them all and it has made me come to the final conclusion that the table needs to go in the living room or it’s not going to work.

I changed the room around and put the dining room table in it which is close to the size of the table and my wife is a go!!!

We have to adjust the position of the TV and get some new chairs or move some from other rooms but it’s going to work!

Again guys, THANK YOU!!!

e639f7426846f14e13ce488fb5f991e4.jpg

usmcss

Registered
It’s starting to come together. This will be the setup for the time being. I think it’s perfect. Just have to get the indentations out of the carpet, that’s what the ice cubes are for on the carpet.

I’m 51 years old. It’s just me, my wife, my 27 year old son, father in-law and 3 dogs!

Can’t wait til Monday!!! Will post pics when it’s installed!

Thanks Guys!!!

33d553b76b3c8ec9cbc808c2b18d5249.jpg
c9e695867c5ac5ee2aa60bbb9a659c27.jpg

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations on the wife giving the thumbs-up.

Only other thing I suggest is put tape on floor exactly where the rails noses are and move the tape one way or another till you have enough room for your cue AND your back foot while in stance.

Also, keep in mind that good players most always stand as far as possible from table when looking at the ball's layout on table not to mention the cue ball/object ball relation in order to get in correct line and move into and make stance.

It just as much trouble to move a table a few inches as it is to move a long ways.

Check, recheck and then check again. It will save you regret and work...not to mention money and stress.

Good luck,

Rake

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Lawnboy,

Been sitting here right now brain storming. My wife has been really cool about this, giving up the dinning room. The living room was out of the question! I’m sitting here now like a little kid hoping she caves and says just put it in the living room but I doubt it.

Garage is out.

Man I really thought this was going to work. Just thought I would have to raise the cue on tight rail shots.

I will update. Thanks a lot!!!

You need to fix your floorplan. From what I can tell, the labels "Dining Room" and "Living Room" are switched and need to be corrected.

usmcss

Registered
Congratulations on the wife giving the thumbs-up.

Only other thing I suggest is put tape on floor exactly where the rails noses are and move the tape one way or another till you have enough room for your cue AND your back foot while in stance.

Also, keep in mind that good players most always stand as far as possible from table when looking at the ball's layout on table not to mention the cue ball/object ball relation in order to get in correct line and move into and make stance.

It just as much trouble to move a table a few inches as it is to move a long ways.

Check, recheck and then check again. It will save you regret and work...not to mention money and stress.

Good luck,

Rake

Thanks Rake, great advice I didn’t think of that!!!

usmcss

Registered
You need to fix your floorplan. From what I can tell, the labels "Dining Room" and "Living Room" are switched and need to be corrected.

I’m thinking your joking Cory but just in case, I just moved that dining room/kitchen table into the living room to use to see how the pool table would work in there.

And so there is no confusion, the pool table was originally going in the dedicated dining room which I never took a picture of, that room is the small room that this whole post was about. Then we were thinking it might go in the kitchen area that we had the table you see in the living room. Picture of kitchen above.

Will post pics when it’s all done.

usmcss

Registered
Guys, can’t thank you all enough!!!! If you guys didn’t tell me the table wouldn’t work in the other room I would have put it in there and been pissed off!!!

Guys just left an hour ago!!! There’s not one tight shot!

Thank You!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob

bd1c4f6d0b3efcc2e557a48ce6b894fb.jpg
b6146276f5d154cd4f796039f31593d6.jpg
3038405db7b8d6d51f6543ed6b7171f6.jpg

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody owes the wife something in return. Hope it don't break you.

Mine got a house remodel in return for having pool table in common area.....ouch $$$$$.... lol.... the things we do for pool!