wire threading....???

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone explain to me about wire threading tenons and ferrules? From what I have seen they look to have about the best fit of all tenon ferrule combinations.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone explain to me about wire threading tenons and ferrules?

It's just wire like inserts to strengthen the threads, helicoils are the most commonly used I think.

From what I have seen they look to have about the best fit of all tenon ferrule combinations.

Based on what? I'd bet they would eventually bind on the pin and then destroy the parent wood in the process of removing the shaft. It would happen, just a matter of when. Wood is too soft for wire inserts.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
It's just wire like inserts to strengthen the threads, helicoils are the most commonly used I think.

No, they are a modified thread that is shallower than standard. Gives more meat on the tenon and ferrule material. Thought I had a picture of one of my tenons but can't find it. I'll just steal DZ's instead.

Attachments

• 2N2B1369a.jpg
    2N2B1369a.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Murray edited his reply with the close up pic just as I was posting. I will add the link to the page that pic comes from. Last two paragraphs. Requires yet more custom tooling.

http://dzcues.com/ferrule-1.html

Last edited:

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Hey, I stole his picture first!

I do mine a bit different. I'll have to take some pictures later.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, they are a modified thread that is shallower than standard. Gives more meat on the tenon and ferrule material. Thought I had a picture of one of my tenons but can't find it. I'll just steal DZ's instead.

Yeah I missed the ferrules and tenon part of his question. Looks like a good joint, lots of glue surface. I've never used that.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would call it, a person had an idea and the tools were not redly available so he made his own. DZ does some really neat things and we are privileged that he shares what he does.
Neil

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ya that's exactly what I'm talking about, with the strength and fit you wouldn't even need glue. There must not be very many cue makers that do or know how to do it cause I haven't been able to really find any info about it. The threads looks kinda like compression threads.

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would call it, a person had an idea and the tools were not redly available so he made his own. DZ does some really neat things and we are privileged that he shares what he does.
Neil

That makes sense, makes me sad to look at my 5/16 18 compressed tenons lol. I agree he shares a lot a lot of great info and his cues are gorgeous.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
That is 5/16-14 but I also do 3/8 on some materials. I just made dies for the shaft side. Live thread the ferrules.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did you decide to make the wood side the skinny thread and the plastic the thick thread ?
I know there will be a reason, but it is just not obvious to me this morning.
Neil

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
So I can live thread the ferrule with standard tooling. I've put up the video before. You can find it on my utube BMT1968

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
So I can live thread the ferrule with standard tooling. I've put up the video before. You can find it on my utube BMT1968

Murray, I guess it doesn't make a difference then, structurally, whether the "meat" is on the ferrule or the tenon?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Murray, I guess it doesn't make a difference then, structurally, whether the "meat" is on the ferrule or the tenon?

The ferrule material is stronger than the wood so I think it would make a difference.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The ferrule material is stronger than the wood so I think it would make a difference.

Yeah Chris, common sense would seem to promote that but then again when combining materials maybe common sense can be thrown out the window.. I really don't know..