Wired breaks idea

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
We all love to see packages, the more the better.
Being old school, we didn't have to worry about templates, or people working on analyzing the rack like the players of today do.

It's also not much fun to see the same ball go in the same pocket each break.

How about if you make a ball or more than one ball, that ball comes up on the spot (just a single ball.)
Don't need the rule for 10 ball, but for 9 ball it seems that you could at the very least make people break the balls.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We all love to see packages, the more the better.
Being old school, we didn't have to worry about templates, or people working on analyzing the rack like the players of today do.

It's also not much fun to see the same ball go in the same pocket each break.

How about if you make a ball or more than one ball, that ball comes up on the spot (just a single ball.)
Don't need the rule for 10 ball, but for 9 ball it seems that you could at the very least make people break the balls.
This has been resolved,
pull the money ball out of the rack and place it in the center of the table, break begins with a smash on it first, the money ball into the rack, if it the money ball pots, it spots.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple: require slug racks !
Templates could be cut or simply vandalized for that. Just occurred to me that you could add a diffuser to the playing field. For instance a perimeter of pinball bumpers around the rack. Break and remove for play. What I like is playing 9 or 10 ball out of a full rack. New rules governing the extra balls etc...

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Templates could be cut or simply vandalized for that. Just occurred to me that you could add a diffuser to the playing field. For instance a perimeter of pinball bumpers around the rack. Break and remove for play. What I like is playing 9 or 10 ball out of a full rack. New rules governing the extra balls etc...

I’m never going to be satisfied with pool now that I know there could be pinball bumpers

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are no packages in alternate break.
Sure there are -- alternate-break packages. I usually post counts of those whenever I do stats on alternate-break events.

[And another type of package in an alternate-break event would be total B&Rs in a row by both players.]

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Sure there are -- alternate-break packages. I usually post counts of those whenever I do stats on alternate-break events.

[And another type of package in an alternate-break event would be total B&Rs in a row by both players.]
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Packages are in winner breaks only.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Ya I see that. Then you still make the wing ball and play the 1 up table by the corner pocket. Wing ball comes to the spot and you can still run out pretty easily. Not pattern racked but packages are still coming cause you play shape for the 1 in the corner and squat the rock in the middle. Especially true with template racks= predictable. Predictable=packages.

terpdad

Registered
I think breaking from the spot, the 3 point rule, alternate break &/or "old school" racks already take care of this issue. That said, I don't think people should be penalized for having a good break. You usually see a ~33% break & run rate in most professional events. If the pros are running out 1/3 of the time, I don't think it's much of a concern for regular Joes. I also like everything made off the break staying down unless there's a scratch. Again, why penalize someone for a job well done (or a little luck)?

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's time to grow into big boys and play by the rules. If you can't, maybe you should stick to your league night. Winner breaks. You don't get a handicap spot.....practice and learn to play. 3 fouls means you lose. If you get a tough draw, don't ask for your entry fee back. Learn the several different ways to foul a shot and accept that pushing through the ball is not your amazing stroke. Maybe you run your mouth and whine at Mom when you're home, but try it playing pool and we'll stuff your head into the side pocket.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I never have been able to count packages. The results are tallied with the money in my pocket. So consecutive wins is all I can track. In 8 ball my record is 22. In 9 ball I had two 17s and a 13. In the 9 ball I just know my opponent never had a chance to win a single game. The two 17s ended in surrender the 13 ended by closing of the bar.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Packages are in winner breaks only.
That's how I feel. Packages not only make a mark on the scoreboard but inflict some psychological damage on an opponent, leaving them in the chair to fry for extended periods of time, sometimes even getting them out of stroke.

Yes, one can convert a break and run on several consecutive attempts in an alternate break format, but that's not a package as the term has always been used in our sport. That said, converting several consecutive break and run attempts, even in an alternate break format, is a noteworthy accomplishment.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
There are no packages in alternate break.
YES there are.

And those are very exciting especially if BOTH players do it back and forth. Much more exciting that one guy in a practice routine. Imagine two players competing for the highest package in the same match. The crowds would love some of that.

Jeff Livingston

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
..alternating package's, patterns?
like, winner racks an alternative? some may call it a challenge;

FT9a.jpg
FT9b.jpg
FT9.jpg
ft10a.jpg

FT10.jpg

:cool:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
sure watching packages is fun for dedicated pool players. but not so much as its boring for the general public and mildly interested players.
all you do is limit your audience and that hurts pool in general and limits the money tournaments can make, and makes it less desirable to put one on.