Wonderful communication from a cuemaker (No, Really!!!)

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
I'm hoping to add a breath of fresh air to all the anger and frustration being exposed lately regarding experiences with cuemakers. I'd like to tell y'all about my current cue on order. Please let's not derail this thread by talking about bad experiences, there are plenty of existing threads for that.

I know this might be better off in another forum, but hopefully it can stay here for a while. We need some good cuemaker threads in the main forum for a change.

I decided to order a cue from Jim Lee at J&D Customs about a month ago. I sent Jim a PM as many tire kickers do I'm sure. He responded promptly. When he didn't hear from me when I said I would call (I ended up going deeper in the local tourney than I thought) he sent me a nice follow up the next day suggesting good times to get in touch.

Since then we have spoken on the phone multiple times and I started the order on 4/7/08. As of now, we are less than a month since the order, and I already have 11 emails back and forth with Jim discussing all sorts of details. I've seen pictures of multiple pieces of wood and we have both made great suggestions on the build.

Before any construction has even begun, I've had a wonderful experience.

Now for the kicker. I know that many of you are thinking "I have great communication with Ernie or Dennis or Timmy or blah blah fancy guy" and that is great. From what I hear most of the high end cuemakers are wonderful people who truly deserve the successes they are experiencing.

I want people to know that if they are looking for constant encouraging communication, a wonderful cue, and PHENOMENAL lead times and prices, that they have options.

Jim Lee at J&D Customs has been building cues for a long time, and has nothing but happy customers so far in his short time selling cues here on AZ. Whether his current offerings are your style or not is irrelevant as he is quite capable and willing to build whatever you are looking for.

For what it's worth, I'm getting a beautiful wrapless plain jane with fancy ring work, to my exact build specs (as we laid out and agreed to on our build sheet) for ~$400 give or take and 3-4 month lead time. And realistically I'll probably receive it earlier.

Give Jim a call, you'll be pleasantly surprised. 812-654-1400

Here's the latest picture Jim sent me of the Tulipwood for my forearm. :D

HPIM2046%20%28Small%29.JPG

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Awesome. Just awesome.

It's good to hear that Jim's offering up such great service. Some folks say that the market is absolutely flooded with cuemakers now. I think they're right...and can understand the gripes that folks may have with that.

That said, though...it's also providing a ton of people all kinds of choices...and giving them an opportunity to venture out and get something EXACTLY the way they want it...for close to EXACTLY what they'd like to spend.

I've had an experience similar to yours with another cuemaker here on the boards...and it's been great.

Congrats on your experience. Sounds like Jim Lee is a good guy to reach out and talk to.

Be good,

Mark

Milo

NPL CHIX, WE DID IT!!!!!
Silver Member
I also have a good story about my custom cue

I am from washington state. I play with a Clark cue, which I love.
About 6 yrs ago I put myself on his wait list for a cue. Knowing he had a long list, I knew it would be at least a couple yrs til he got to me, which I was happy to wait. The following Christmas my dad gave me a very strangely wrapped triangular box. The last thing I thought it would be was a Clark cue. When I opened the box, there it was. I asked my dad in amazement, "how in the hell did you get this". My dad, knowing I wanted one very badly, told me he went into Clarks shop and asked him to make one for me, and if possible could it be ready by xmas time. (btw, he asked him in Nov.) Clark said no problem, it will be ready.
I was so touched by this. So ya see, there are good cue builders out there.
I am new to AZ. I have been reading some threads that really concern me.
I dont think it is fair to blast the builders on a public site. Just my opinion.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Ive had nothing but great communication with Eurowest Cues. They have went out of their way for me and have always been really easy and great to work with.

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear this. Good communication is the key to a great buying experience. My cue maker has baqsically responded with short and somewhat curt answers.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuemakers

Dawgie said:
Glad to hear this. Good communication is the key to a great buying experience. My cue maker has baqsically responded with short and somewhat curt answers.
o.k. here is my man {steve lomax] just made the blue book, but buts out quality-- i know as i have a matching pair of break&shooting cue. with the leather wraps. a thing of beauty and with good quality. come in my place a lot and is good man!!!:D :D :D

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
i have a pj being made right now that will be amazing. the piece of wood he found for me is simply stunning. wait till it's completed and pics are up.

and jim's communication is perfect. not only does he give u updates, he'll also go through the trouble of taking pictures at every step of the way to show u the cue's progress and is willing to make any changes in order to keep his customers happy!

GoTulane

Shizzle-rific
Yeah, Jim is one of the many good ones

YEs, Jim of J&D is one of many good cuemakers out there. It is sad to see all the people having issues with some of the ones here posting on AZB. :(

Next time talk to Jim. His work is great, and once you see the ones that AZB'ers are having made by him, his wait will get LONGER!! The man does have a full time job, on top of building quality cues. Always finds the time to talk and respond to questions. I have one being made now, and we are designing a new one - MY GOTULANE cue - it will be my avatar showcase cue.
But please wait to contact him until I place my next order, because I do not think I want to wait much longer. :D
Once Danktrees, James, Powerlineman, King, and myself post our cues, the wait will grow, and Jim will be a very busy man - of course I wonder how he can get much busier. But no matter what - His communication is GREAT!!!

So Dank, James, Powerline, & King - DO NOT POST FINISHED PICS of our cues UNTIL I GET MY NEW ONE IN THE WORKS - and I suggest you do the same!!! Otherwise it will be like the 4th of July weekend at Disney World - and I hate lines!!!!!

Glad to see others have found your skills!!! Except the wait will just get longer:(

Jim - Keep up the good work - do what you do best!!!

Michael

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
haha yea i might have him start another one for me eventually. i'll have to talk to him about it after this current one is finished.

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
mullyman said:
Do you have an email addy for Jim?
MULLY
PM is fine if he doesn't want it public

James said:
Give Jim a call, you'll be pleasantly surprised. 812-654-1400

From my original post. Tell him James with the tulipwood cue sent you :D

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mullyman said:
Do you have an email addy for Jim?
MULLY
PM is fine if he doesn't want it public

Its best to pm him, or call the number in my sig. He'll be more than happy to talk to you even if it is a feeler call.

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
powerlineman80 said:
Its best to pm him, or call the number in my sig. He'll be more than happy to talk to you even if it is a feeler call.

I answered this question like 3 weeks ago :p

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
powerlineman80 said:
Just getting the thread bumped to drum up more views and possible calls;) :p

You want more calls? CHECK THIS BEAUTY OUT!

I've been holding off on updating this thread until the end. Jim has been communicating often and thoroughly.

Today's updates are just too beautiful though. Check out these pieces of wood. This is WITHOUT any finish on the wood. Wow.

HPIM2552Small.jpg

HPIM2553Small.jpg

There will be the same ringwork at A,B,C,D, and E. With two shafts. For less than my economic stimulus check. I'd say that's money well spent!

Oh, P.S. I'm getting the cue about 2 months EARLY. That's right. I ordered in mid April and it's almost done.

-J