Wondering how to sell a Balabushka cue stick? List it on here or is there another place?

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I don't see one bit of Bushka in that design, guess he should've had Showman build a cue
The producer, director, actors and film crew loved what Dan created. Wrongly or rightly they were after just a bit of dazzle, no clear historicity and knew that no significant or extended closeups would be available to invite critical assessments as to authenticity or brand consistency.

In any case, COM grossed over $53 million (more than five times its $10 million budget), so everyone was quite happy.

Newman was of course pleased with the Oscar he won for his role (undeserved IMO) He deserved it more for "The Verdict" and "Absence of Malice" -- nominated for both and lost. Everyone knew the COM Oscar was an industry consolation prize for his many earlier losses.

Arnaldo

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
i used to play with george. told him build me a cue shortly there after at the golden cue he handed me one.
think it was around a 100 bucks. double the price of the better palmers. and he was my friend, sort of.
still got it. leather wrap no inlays. soon will sell my old cues.
Great for you. Hope you can enjoy the money while you are living!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
here's my oldest bushka, an interesting design l think and also dated by Pete to be from late 50's early 60's.

Bushka-Green-buttsleeve-lg.jpg
Bushka-Green-full.jpg

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check garage sales, they are out their. People have in closings 30+ years.

Seek and you might find. Friend does garage sales weekly.

He always says you got any watches? One week he got two Rolex’s for next to nothing.
On a similar note, back in the late 70s or early 80s, when I still lived with my parents, my dad was looking to buy a pool table for our basement. We were looking at used ones in the newspaper classifieds. One day we saw one advertised and the women didn't know anything about it except it was big, heavy and green. It was about a 30 minute drive from our house.

The table turned out to be junk. We thanked her for showing it to us and she led us back out of their unfinished basement. On the way up the stairs I noticed an old pool cue case (coffin case of some sort). I asked her if that was a pool cue. She said she thought so. I asked her if I could look at it and she said sure. When I opened it I thought I recognized it as a Bushka but wasn't sure (it had Bushka rings). I asked her if it was for sale and she said sure. When I asked her how much she wanted for it she called her husband. He already left work so she couldn't reach him (before cell phones). My dad and I waited for him to get home.

About 10 minutes later he came home and she explained we were interested in buying his pool cue and case. He said "that's a Balbushka and worth a lot of money, it was my uncles". I suggested he take it out of his basement (it was jammed in the stairwell with old paint cans) and store it in his bedroom. He said he would. I bet he left it there, forgot about it, and it eventually got sold at a garage sale when he kicked off.

middleofnowhere

Registered
On a similar note, back in the late 70s or early 80s, when I still lived with my parents, my dad was looking to buy a pool table for our basement. We were looking at used ones in the newspaper classifieds. One day we saw one advertised and the women didn't know anything about it except it was big, heavy and green. It was about a 30 minute drive from our house.

The table turned out to be junk. We thanked her for showing it to us and she led us back out of their unfinished basement. On the way up the stairs I noticed an old pool cue case (coffin case of some sort). I asked her if that was a pool cue. She said she thought so. I asked her if I could look at it and she said sure. When I opened it I thought I recognized it as a Bushka but wasn't sure (it had Bushka rings). I asked her if it was for sale and she said sure. When I asked her how much she wanted for it she called her husband. He already left work so she couldn't reach him (before cell phones). My dad and I waited for him to get home.

About 10 minutes later he came home and she explained we were interested in buying his pool cue and case. He said "that's a Balbushka and worth a lot of money, it was my uncles". I suggested he take it out of his basement (it was jammed in the stairwell with old paint cans) and store it in his bedroom. He said he would. I bet he left it there, forgot about it, and it eventually got sold at a garage sale when he kicked off.
I like your story, the part I like most is that you and your dad were actually honorable with this guy and didn't try to steal the cue. When the guy said it was worth a lot of money we don't know what he considered a lot of money. You guys could have maybe offered him $400 for it and he might have taken it, but you didn't. In fact you did the opposite you gave him advice.