Wood filler?

Biloxi69

Registered
This guy broke off his tip/tenon. I was going to tap/clean the area and work up a new tenon. I figure I ask the guys here first. Is there a good filler that hardens like wood so I can tap/thread for new tenon? Also this is a laminated shaft. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

biloxi69

Attachments

• 53A124A1-037F-411E-A51D-2BC940899925.jpeg
    53A124A1-037F-411E-A51D-2BC940899925.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 99

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bore it out clean, then glue in an extra long plug. After the glue/epoxy dries, turn down the extra length to form a new tenon.
Don't use wood filler.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Thanks GB. Do you recommend Titebond wood glue or epoxy?
Epoxy, and make sure it is not a thick one, I use west system 205, heated for a few seconds in a microwave to about 90 degree F, not higher as that will kick the reaction too fast and it will harden WAY too soon. If it's too thick and you push that plug in the hydraulic pressure will split the shaft right along those splines. Make sure to put glue relief grooves going around it(rings) and then 2 of them lengthwise so the excess epoxy can escape without building up pressure. I use a Q-tip to wipe the epxoy around the inside of the bore and let it sink in a couple minutes, then add a bit more, and also coat the plug. A bit messy, so put down a cover for your lathe bed. ****IMPORTANT***** Insert plug slowly, let the excess escape as you push it in....too fast and you will split the shaft!!!!
I also dry fit the plug, and when seated fully, I use a pencil to mark the plug where it meets the shaft so when installing with epoxy, I know when it's seated fully, as the pressure can make it feel seated but actually isn't. Hope this helps,
Dave

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bore it out clean, then glue in an extra long plug. After the glue/epoxy dries, turn down the extra length to form a new tenon.
Don't use wood filler.
Use the above method. Definitely go with epoxy and cut grooves around your tenon for extra glue holding. Do not make the fit super tight as you don't want to split the shaft.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Epoxy, and make sure it is not a thick one, I use west system 205, heated for a few seconds in a microwave to about 90 degree F, not higher as that will kick the reaction too fast and it will harden WAY too soon. If it's too thick and you push that plug in the hydraulic pressure will split the shaft right along those splines. Make sure to put glue relief grooves going around it(rings) and then 2 of them lengthwise so the excess epoxy can escape without building up pressure. I use a Q-tip to wipe the epxoy around the inside of the bore and let it sink in a couple minutes, then add a bit more, and also coat the plug. A bit messy, so put down a cover for your lathe bed. ****IMPORTANT***** Insert plug slowly, let the excess escape as you push it in....too fast and you will split the shaft!!!!
I also dry fit the plug, and when seated fully, I use a pencil to mark the plug where it meets the shaft so when installing with epoxy, I know when it's seated fully, as the pressure can make it feel seated but actually isn't. Hope this helps,
Dave
Rubber bands , just to be safe .

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Bore it out oversized. Plug, then bore the plug to retain low deflection properties. Top with a lightweight ferrule that has a cap. Epoxy is good.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
file a flat side on the plug to relieve hydraulic pressure from the epoxy........... use 5 minute epoxy.............. done it a few hundred times........... no failures

Kim