Wood ID?

JimL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The owner of the pool hall were I play league likes to give me old house cues that have interesting figure.I'm finishing up a cue that I used some odds & ends to put together using one of these old house cues for the forearm.
I'm wondering if any of the pros here can identify this wood.

Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• House Cue 001 (Large).jpg
    House Cue 001 (Large).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 213
  • House Cue 002 (Large).jpg
    House Cue 002 (Large).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 222
  • House Cue 005 (Large).jpg
    House Cue 005 (Large).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 209

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Looks a lot like alves to me....but I'll give the nod to Eric in the next post as I'm not too familiar with SE Asian woods.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Looks like SE Asian acacia to me. It's commonly seen in house cues, especially the Valley cues of the last ten years. Lots of Chinese & other Asian cue manufacturers use this wood. It's great wood, almost always showing some curly figure & a very nice chatoyance. But being a house cue, could be anything.

JimL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like SE Asian acacia to me. It's commonly seen in house cues, especially the Valley cues of the last ten years. Lots of Chinese & other Asian cue manufacturers use this wood. It's great wood, almost always showing some curly figure & a very nice chatoyance. But being a house cue, could be anything.

Thanks Eric,the wood does have a curl figure thats almost iridescent in spots.The pics are lousy so they don't really show that.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Thanks Eric,the wood does have a curl figure thats almost iridescent in spots.The pics are lousy so they don't really show that.

They show enough, and with your history of the wood it makes it a pretty easy guesstimation. I'd love to find a stock pile of the lumber alone, but it's not so easy to get. Salvaging house cues is the easiest way.