Wood vs. Carbon Fiber cue ball squirt (with a twist)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Dave.

You said the Predator Revo shaft creates much less CB deflection than a typical solid maple shaft, but that has not been my experience in the one or two Revo shafts I have tested. I have another Revo shaft that I will test later today. If possible, I will post a video with the result.

Also, I enjoyed the video you earlier posted and I agree with all those things you listed as being the true advantages of carbon fiber shafts.

Thanks,
Roger
Depending on size, taper, ferrule, etc. some maple shafts deflect less than others. That being said every CF shaft i've test-hit (about seven types) has deflected less(sometimes a lot) than any solid shaft i've had on hand. Some of those were fairly small with short, light ferrules and the cf still deflected less. The 12.9Revo deflected WAY less than just about any cue i'd ever used.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi, Dave.

You said the Predator Revo shaft creates much less CB deflection than a typical solid maple shaft, but that has not been my experience in the one or two Revo shafts I have tested. I have another Revo shaft that I will test later today. If possible, I will post a video with the result.

"Much less" is a matter of perspective. I probably should have just said "less." I look forward to seeing your video. FYI, in my experience, a good way to test for and quantify differences is the natural pivot length test.

Also, I enjoyed the video you earlier posted and I agree with all those things you listed as being the true advantages of carbon fiber shafts.

I'm glad you liked it.

Best regards,
Dave

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember having a conversation with Earl Strickland some 20+years ago concerning the CueTec cue he was endorsing at the time and he swore by it saying that he had never played with a better cue at any price...shortly after this conversation was when he ran 11 racks with it! I personally could never play with one and have stuck to the wooden cues.

And after he was no longer playing with Cuetec cues he said "they destroyed my game". He also had a highly modified shaft vs their stock one, it was all wood and tapered straight a lot further than a "pro taper" would be. It looked to be the same taper to very close to the joint. I think his break cue was their fiberglass clad one, but his playing ones that I saw were wood not coated.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to wonder, whether many of the pros who have adopted black/CF shafts are so impressed with them, merely because of the LD characteristics? Many players were likely so very long successful with an old school/premium/exclusive builder solid maple cue they were much attached to, it might well have been their first extensive LD experience (?).

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to wonder, whether many of the pros who have adopted black/CF shafts are so impressed with them, merely because of the LD characteristics? Many players were likely so very long successful with an old school/premium/exclusive builder solid maple cue they were much attached to, it might well have been their first extensive LD experience (?).
Pros are walking billboards for cue/shaft makers. They can play top level with anything. A lot like golf, people go buy what they see pros using.