WORLD 10 BALL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 Sep 2021), Las Vegas, 9ft, Winner $35K

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intere
Wow, Billy Thorpe put on a great show to beat JL Chang.

At 5-4 ahead, he kicked in the two and ran out, and at 6-5 ahead, he navigated a super-tough runout masterfully to reach the hill.

JL Chang's remarkable long bank of the one ball in rack 13 kept him in the match, pulling him within 7-6. Billy misfired on a fairly routine kick safe at 7-6, enabling Chang to reach double hill, but at double hill, Billy broke wet and made a super-tough shot on the one to set up the winning runout. He had to negotiate a bank shot on the four, but then again, Billy is a Derby City bank pool champion.

This is the Billy Thorpe I'd like to see at the Mosconi Cup! Well played.
Interesting tidbit, one of those last games looked like Chang was the victim of a bad rack by the ref..

Reactions: sjm

BlueRaider

Registered
LOL, obviously not a world championship --- just a Charlie Williams event masquerading as a world championship. Earl was America's last world champion, beating Bustamante in the final of the 2002 WPA World 9-ball Championship.
What makes it not a world championship? Genuinely curious as I wasn't following pool when it happened. It looks like the field was pretty strong.

SVB, Alex, Dennis, Busty, Kiamco, Appleton, Archer, Oi, Niels, Ralf, Engert, Lee Vann, and Mika are names I see who finished in the money.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes it not a world championship? Genuinely curious as I wasn't following pool when it happened. It looks like the field was pretty strong.

SVB, Alex, Dennis, Busty, Kiamco, Appleton, Archer, Oi, Niels, Ralf, Engert, Lee Vann, and Mika are names I see who finished in the money.

probably not enough added money so WPA didn't sanction it. this was the case with some of the straight pool events by dragon promotions. i don't understand the flak CW is getting however. maybe someone can explain that

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

First and foremost it didn’t have WPA sanctioning. Irrespective of what I or anyone else thinks of the WPA, sanctioning is important to keep just anyone from slapping “World” on their tournament. World Championships usually come with strict qualifying criteria, broad international participation and a minimum prize fund. While there were some good players in that event, that tournament failed to meet any of those criteria.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 2 TV Table Stream schedule

day2 .png

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sullivan Clark is interesting so far. 694 fargo but has beaten Aranas and Morra. Never heard of him but see that he’s from New Zealand.

BlueRaider

Registered
Corey just looks so shaky playing rotation on a big table now. I root for the guy I feel like I'm holding my breath when he's at the table running out, even when he starts with ball in hand.