World 10-Ball Championships, Feb-Mar 2024, Las Vegas, The Rio

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a good match btwn Gorst and Ko Pin Yi.
Yes that was superb match :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

fsr kpy.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll be there for a couple of days for the WC10B. I decided not to stay at the hotel based on multiple previous bad experiences. I think the new owners also have to get rid of all the previous senior staff if they want change.

A simple test will be whether small, unripe bananas are still $4 at the snack bar by the playing area. I talked to someone who talked to a food service person there. The cost of ingredients for meals had to be held to 10% of the price. I've heard multiple times that the standard for restaurants is 30%. Maybe that has changed with the remodel. We'll see if it comes through on the bananas though, because those cost less than 20 cents wholesale.
I had forgotten about the midnight thieves. Two years ago the Polish players had someone come into their room in the middle of the night and take their money. It happened again just now to someone else. Here is what Wictor has to say in a recap of his "Rio Experience":

That’s crazy. Definitely the worst hotel I have ever been to.
2 years ago they stole all my money. Security and police officers done nothing. The hotel didn’t want to share recordings…
Last year few days after checkout I got charged 300$ for deep cleaning
😅
. I need to send chargeback request to my bank which in the end got back my money because Rio didn’t want to explain what was wrong and didn’t have any proof that room was left in bad condition.
Besides that there are always problems at the reception. They always try to charge me for some hidden taxes, fees etc.
In Europe everything it’s more civilized when it comes to accommodations.

Last edited:

Monti

Pagu had Filler beaten couple times. I hope he continue that trend! :)
I think you are less likely to catch a run in 10 ball. Alex beat him in 9 ball , I don’t see anything other than a simple win for Filler here , he is the form player

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I had forgotten about the midnight thieves. Two years ago the Polish players had someone come into their room in the middle of the night and take their money. It happened again just now to someone else. Here is what Wictor has to say in a recap of his "Rio Experience":

That’s crazy. Definitely the worst hotel I have ever been to.
2 years ago they stole all my money. Security and police officers done nothing. The hotel didn’t want to share recordings…
Last year few days after checkout I got charged 300$ for deep cleaning
😅
. I need to send chargeback request to my bank which in the end got back my money because Rio didn’t want to explain what was wrong and didn’t have any proof that room was left in bad condition.
Besides that there are always problems at the reception. They always try to charge me for some hidden taxes, fees etc.
In Europe everything it’s more civilized when it comes to accommodations.

This was a post this year from FSR about someone coming into his room in the night with a rfid scanner and pick for the door latch:

IMG_0659.jpeg

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I wonder if the Rio even has security.

I assume that’s who is breaking into these rooms at night.

I learned from that post that there is a little tool crooks can use to unlock the security latch, so other than pushing furniture in front of the door like FSR there is no way to keep your hotel door locked.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I assume that’s who is breaking into these rooms at night.

I learned from that post that there is a little tool crooks can use to unlock the security latch, so other than pushing furniture in front of the door like FSR there is no way to keep your hotel door locked.
I think I've seen locks that you can use on hotel doors. A pair of vise grips on the existing latch might do the trick. Maybe some kind of alarm?

google... google....

1708979255025.png

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's disgraceful. wiktor and his polish compatriots got bulglarized two years ago at the rio, lost a lot of money. now it happens again??

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just ordered one of these:
1708982824472.png

Yup. That's what I remember seeing. Simple mechanical that blocks entry. I think I prefer to have an alarm. I'd like to know if someone tried. Also, in an emergency, I don't want the paramedics slowed down any more than usual.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got home from there yesterday. Each night I had to show my room key to the security guard to be allowed access to the elevator up to my floor.
A couple years ago the elevator was unguarded during the day but at night you needed to show your room key.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A couple years ago the elevator was unguarded during the day but at night you needed to show your room key.
Having something that looks like a room key seems like a fairly low barrier to entry. Not the sort of thing that will stop someone who can get past the electronic door lock and the night latch. Similar to the lock on my front door, which keeps out only the honest and clueless.

VVP

Registered
Is there any explanation anywhere about how they came up with the list of players for the Men's World 10-ball event? Found it very strange that only one Filipino, Carlo Biado, is on the list. I also saw posts from Sanjin Pehlivanovic and David Alcaide expressing disappointment that they were not chosen. I hope there is a reasonable explanation out there.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there any explanation anywhere about how they came up with the list of players for the Men's World 10-ball event? Found it very strange that only one Filipino, Carlo Biado, is on the list. I also saw posts from Sanjin Pehlivanovic and David Alcaide expressing disappointment that they were not chosen. I hope there is a reasonable explanation out there.
The general criteria for selecting players for World Championships is listed on the WPA website. I have not seen a specific annotated list of the selections for the current WC.

Reactions: VVP