WORLD 10-BALL TEAMS CHAMPIONSHIP (6-11 Sep), Klagenfurt, Austria

Stevexjfe

The issue with the CW events was that they were presented and staged as if they were true World Championships even in years where they failed (or did not attempt) to gain sanctioning. For example, when Appleton won, they played a record with "God Save the Queen" as he received his medal, despite the fact that the event was not a sanctioned world championship that year. I don't believe that any other event producer has even attempted to misrepresent their event in a similar manner.
I thought the 2008 event was WPA sanctioned, on the WPA website it is sanctioned as a world championship.

Is the World Team Championship & World 10-Ball Women's Championship this year sanctioned by the WPA?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I thought the 2008 event was WPA sanctioned, on the WPA website it is sanctioned as a world championship.

Is the World Team Championship & World 10-Ball Women's Championship this year sanctioned by the WPA?
Yes, the 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2010 were WPA sanctioned, but I referred to the one won by Appleton a few years later after sanctioning was no longer even sought for the Dragon Promotions World 14.1 event. The problem was that Dragon continued to present it as if it were a true World championship, which it was not. In fact, at the time, there was little doubt in my mind that the European Straight Pool Championships featured a tougher field than that found in the Dragon event.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Yes, I've had the pleasure of meeting her. She's a pretty straight shooter and her 657 Fargo places her sixth among American women. Wishing her the best.

She played awesome today, especially for using borrowed equipment. I like this format for team events more than for individual events. The content the first day was pretty good.

Reactions: sjm

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DAY 2 Live Stream Schedule
Free Stream (2 tables on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/WorldBilliardTV and https://streamstak.com/billiardtv/ ).

Women's 10 Ball from 9am Austria time (3am EST)
Brackets:
https://cuescore.com/tournament/bracket/?id=17973148 )

Teams from 7pm Austria time (1pm EST) with USA vs Great Britain and Austria vs Portugal. Will be 2 matches streamed on each stream
Brackets:
https://cuescore.com/tournament/bracket/?id=17808250

day2a.jpg

day2b.jpg

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. Though only the Women's 10 ball championship carry ranking points since WPA only has rankings for individual play.
They are using different rule sets- Teams event using Predator rules while Women's 10 ball using WPA rules. So for eg. early 10 ball combo count as win in Teams but in the Women's 10 ball, the 10 ball is respotted

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are starting Teams matches 3 hours earlier right now

Winner Round 1 (best of 5 sets)

USA (Tyler Styer/Joey Tate/ April Larson)
Vs
GREAT BRITAIN (Jayson Shaw/ Darren Appleton/ Kelly Fisher)

Now playing 1st set Women's singles April Larson vs Kelly Fisher (Race to 4)

AUSTRIA A (Albin Ouschan / Mario He/ Jasmin Ouschan)
Vs
PORTUGAL(Grilo/Santos/ Rocha)

Now playing 1st set Women's singles Jasmin Ouschan vs Sara Rocha (Race to 4)

Brackets https://cuescore.com/tournament/bracket/?id=17808250

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did Team Netherlands forfeit after the 1st set to Team Slovakia? I saw on the brackets it was 1-0 Team Slovakia and then saw Team Netherlands on the losers side.of the bracket. If they did forfeit, does anyone know what happened?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stevexjfe

Yes, the 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2010 were WPA sanctioned, but I referred to the one won by Appleton a few years later after sanctioning was no longer even sought for the Dragon Promotions World 14.1 event. The problem was that Dragon continued to present it as if it were a true World championship, which it was not. In fact, at the time, there was little doubt in my mind that the European Straight Pool Championships featured a tougher field than that found in the Dragon event.
Sorry I thought you were on about the 2008 WPA World Ten-ball Championship won by Darren Appleton, my bad 🤦‍♂️ I know about the "World 14.1 Tournament" by Charlie Williams, definitely not a world championship. these are all the current WPA World Championship events-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Pool-Billiard_Association#Sanctioned_tournaments

Reactions: sjm

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First:
I really like watching 9 ball.

Second:
We had a lot of discussions about 9ball break, racking, pocket size and so on and so on...
After watching the tournaments in Klagenfurt I wonder, if 10ball might be the way to go for professional pool or at least the discipline that is interesting to watch without all the break shananigans.

The pockets in Klagenfurt aren't that tight (I tested it), but still we see a lot of missed shots.
Everyone is forced to break hard and it needs skill and control to pocket balls on the break.
We see a lot of clusters and difficult layouts, which leads to a lot of tactical battles.

Long story short...I really enjoy this tournaments.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... After watching the tournaments in Klagenfurt I wonder, if 10ball might be the way to go for professional pool or at least the discipline that is interesting to watch without all the break shananigans. ...
You are apt to see just as many shenanigans in 10-Ball if a triangle rack is used and one of the players is racking. From Tin Man 3 weeks ago:

"As for 10 ball, that break is more solved than 9 on the spot 9 ball. I thought that was a known thing. 10 ball hasn't been considered harder than 9 ball for the top players for many years because with templates and a pop break they average 2 balls a break with ridiculous control over the spreads. No, we have to stick to 9 ball."​
I'd like to see some experiments among top players playing 10-Ball with the 10-ball racked on the spot.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The commentators are unaware that Steve Holem won the Canadian 8-ball championship a while back…beat Alex in the final.
They were surprised he played so well.
Yes, very typical. Majority of commentators are clueless about unknown or lesser known players cos they are too lazy to google or do some basic research. To them, the players they know about are favorites to win 😁
Holem looks like Alex twin but a bigger and younger one.

This is probably shot of tournament so far

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes, very typical. Majority of commentators are clueless about unknown or lesser known players cos they are too lazy to google or do some basic research. To them, the players they know about are favorites to win 😁
Holem looks like Alex twin but a bigger and younger one.

This is probably shot of tournament so far
Cornerman and I talked about that…if he ever retires…we figure a bio should be filled out by every player going on stream. Hell, poker and golf commentators will tell you what their aunts do for a living.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
team philippines with chezka would have a chance. but with rubilen i think it will be difficult