WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the first-round matchups. There are others, but two players in particular who could be on a rapid rise we are not tracking very well are Yapp and Capito.
1622922940762.png

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Many people are ranting about Klenti....and why Matchroom won’t give him more time...
...it’s all Kaci’s fault...paperwork he didn’t stay on top of. ( grammar Nazis..did I end that sentence illegally? )
You make a good point here. Kaci is deserving of more attention than he gets, but he shot himself in the foot here as a no-show on pool's biggest stage. He may have been, at least to a point, unlucky here, but he must hold himself accountable for the outcome. He might just win one of these down the road. Fine player.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You make a good point here. Kaci is deserving of more attention than he gets, but he shot himself in the foot here as a no-show on pool's biggest stage. He may have been, at least to a point, unlucky here, but he must hold himself accountable for the outcome. He might just win one of these down the road. Fine player.
I can’t really look down my nose at him....I’ve done it.....but I got lucky.
I was going to Britain in two days and discovered my passport would expire while I there....
...but one of my best friend’s sister worked at a passport office....had it four hours later...picked it up at her home after she finished work. :)
...but if I had to miss the plane, it was all on me.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the first-round matchups. There are others, but two players in particular who could be on a rapid rise we are not tracking very well are Yapp and Capito. ...
They have just 16 tables, right? So why would they schedule some of the races to 9 on those tables just an hour apart?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They have just 16 tables, right? So why would they schedule some of the races to 9 on those tables just an hour apart?
Seems to be wishful thinking unless they'll be using a fifteen second shot clock.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the first-round matchups. There are others, but two players in particular who could be on a rapid rise we are not tracking very well are Yapp and Capito. View attachment 597707

Thanks
OMG 15 <700
3x500s
12x600s

I am surprised Vincent Halliday is 500s. Didn't he play in WCOP? Unless I got him confused with his twin. 😃

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably just placeholder (indicative not exact) times.
Shortest match would be 9 racks and longest match 17 racks. Assuming 7 minutes per rack match would vary from 1hr to 2 hrs
They have 80 matches on day 1 and 2 so they need to do 5 matches per table and need 10 hours table time if all matches go to maximum 17 racks
They allocated 9 hours (4.5 hrs afternoon and 4.5 hrs evening) not counting 1.5 hr break in between. If need to evening matches probably finish midnight

session times.JPG

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks
OMG 15 <700
3x500s
12x600s

I am surprised Vincent Halliday is 500s. Didn't he play in WCOP? Unless I got him confused with his twin. 😃
Yeah, pretty shocking. Anyone less than 650 probably shouldn't be playing at all at this level, but this year is just different. It will make for a great story if any of the sub 650's win even one match, but it may not happen at all.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, pretty shocking. Anyone less than 650 probably shouldn't be playing at all at this level, but this year is just different. It will make for a great story if any of the sub 650's win even one match, but it may not happen at all.
Ya winning 1 match would be good performance for them. It's great that Matchroom pay $500 to those who win just 1 Group match. So they pay 1st to 96th and only those who lost 2 consecutive matches in row get nothing.
I don't recall past World championships or any majors where they pay 75% of field with zero entry fee :)

prize1.JPG

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ya winning 1 match would be good performance for them. It's great that Matchroom pay $500 to those who win just 1 Group match. So they pay 1st to 96th and only those who lost 2 consecutive matches in row get nothing.
I don't recall past World championships or any majors where they pay 75% of field with zero entry fee :)

View attachment 597754
I know where you are coming from but don't share your opinion. I see paying 65/96th place as $16,000 poorly spent. I'd rather see it go to players finishing higher. I'll be happy for anyone that cashes but don't endorse this kind of payout structure. Of course, if the purses rise enough over time, I'll sing a different tune.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is gonna be a lot more "upsets" than normally. Because handling pressure is gonna be huge part of this year. It is different due no competitions lately.
I noticed that myself yesterday. Had first pool competition in 7 months and we had 32(max) and full field player open tourney. I was shaking so many times during tourney. So odd. I had to spot some games to wire for everyone and short games but i won it after couple comebacks.
There was also mini shootout where race to one 9-ball, winner takes all and pot was 720 €. Pressure did get me in semis on that and i lost that one with multiple chances on one rack. I believe you can see many meltdowns this year WC too.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's on now (DAZN) What a great production by Matchroom especially compared to that POS that the WPA forced on us for what 7-8? years of embarrassment in Dubai! This year is looking GREAT! What a terrific arena! Gorst losing 6-3 to Magi in his first Match. Thorpe, Alcaide.Yapp won in the first round also. It's the Group Stage now and anyone who loses first match still can get through.

Gorst coming back, 6-5 down now. Boyes wins his first match.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know where you are coming from but don't share your opinion. I see paying 65/96th place as $16,000 poorly spent. I'd rather see it go to players finishing higher. I'll be happy for anyone that cashes but don't endorse this kind of payout structure. Of course, if the purses rise enough over time, I'll sing a different tune.
Matchroom will add more and more money to events. They know audience want bigger payments. Then it is more interesting. You will see it in future. That was strategy of making Snooker bigger in past. They just need to get rolling and some good sponsors and there we go!

Reactions: sjm

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What some may not know though is that the players are paying their way to this event even though there's no entry fee. I know specifically that at least one outlier needed support from the community to be able to afford to make the trip. I know because I donated to the cause. This may not be a big deal for the favourites that generally have heavy sponsorship but this isn't the case for all.

I get that isn't any different then any other major tournament, but I personally don't view these international Matchroom events as a regular tournaments. These players are representing their respective countrys, and I think being rewarded for simply making a little a noise a great gesture for those on the bottom end.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What some may not know though is that the players are paying their way to this event even though there's no entry fee. I know specifically that at least one outlier needed support from the community to be able to afford to make the trip. I know because I donated to the cause. This may not be a big deal for the favourites that generally have heavy sponsorship but this isn't the case for all.

I get that isn't any different then any other major tournament, but I personally don't view these international Matchroom events as a regular tournaments. These players are representing their respective countrys, and I think being rewarded for simply making a little a noise a great gesture for those on the bottom end.
Thanks for that.

This was contrary to my understanding. In many countries, the pool federation will finance the participation expenses of its members. I have seen this done in the past. Of course, the usual formula wasn't used this year, in that the WPA did not have its usual control of the invitation process. Normally, the WPA would decide how many invitations each country would get, and then the federations would attend to the invitations after that, This year, looking at the field, I suspect that wasn't done, so perhaps expense reimbursement is off the table for those not selected by their country's federation is unavailable. I suspect, however, that most of the top European players are getting reimbursement from their federations.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I suspect, however, that most of the top European players are getting reimbursement from their federations.
I'd imagine that as well. It just doesn't seem to be the case for my particular country. That said, it's not like I have my fingers on the pulse of what if anything the Canadian governing body does. I also know there was a Fundme put together to help reimburse the Canadian players after the World Cup travelling mishap.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd imagine that as well. It just doesn't seem to be the case for my particular country. That said, it's not like I have my fingers on the pulse of what if anything the Canadian governing body does. I also know there was a Fundme put together to help reimburse the Canadian players after the World Cup travelling mishap.
Not a valid comparison here. The World Cup of Pool, to my knowledge, is not a WPA sanctioned event and doesn't carry world ranking points, so it falls outside of this discussion.