World Title Event in the USA

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Who would you think the World Pool Association would talk to FIRST to coordinate a World Title evnet in the USA

I know the BCA is suppose to be the USA representative, but the BCA is more of an Industry rep and not a very successful one according to their own figures for trade shows for the last few years.

Who would be the most logical person that the WPA would talk to about orgainizing a full fledged World Title event?

Qualifiers: Tournaments for USA players
Venue; the location of the event
Staffing; I would assume the WPA will staff the TD and Referees.
Tables; transported to the venue, set up and maintained during the event

I don't know of any organization other than Mark Griffin's that could handle this event.

Is there any other choice?
 
We had the 14.1 this year

Tom,

Charlie WIlliams and Dragon Promotions had the WPA World Straight Pool Championship just a few months ago. Any promoter can petition the WPA for an event.
 
Jerry,

Thanks for clearing that up Jerry. I didn't know that it would be so easy to petition and get an event sanctioned by the WPA.

I guess if Charlie Williams and Dragon Promotions can do it, any promoter can? Just meet the sanction requirements?
Which are?
 
I don't personally know him, but
I've read some posts about Jay Helfert
organizing events and all.

AnitoKid


Tom In Cincy said:
Who would be the most logical person that the WPA would talk to about orgainizing a full fledged World Title event?
 
Tom

I honestly do not know what is involved in gaining the sanctioning. I would imagine there are guidelines to which one must adhere. You can find out all the details by emailing the WPA at: info@wpa-tour.com. Hope this helps.
 
They also require percentage of purse as a fee. IIRC it is 5%? (This was supposedly the reason the IPT refused to get WPA sanctioning.)
 
They get 5% for a $50,000 tournament and also 5% for a $500,000 one? I think the percentage needs to be on a sliding scale. 5% for a $50,000 and 1% for a $500,000 tournament. 1% would still be $5,000 for saying, "I bless you." Johnnyt
 
. . bless U, Johnnyt.

I take cash, credit card, or paypal.

with all the blessing does that make Ian Anderson the Pope of Pool?
 
Johnnyt said:
They get 5% for a $50,000 tournament and also 5% for a $500,000 one? I think the percentage needs to be on a sliding scale. 5% for a $50,000 and 1% for a $500,000 tournament. 1% would still be $5,000 for saying, "I bless you." Johnnyt

That's exactly what I thought at the time; the WPA seemed to be acting as a deterrent to high-purse tournament organizers. However given how much of the IPT's history is shrouded in mystery I have no idea if the WPA were really insisting on this or if the IPT actually made any genuine effort to negotiate with them. It is perfectly possible the IPT just wanted an easy excuse to avoid any kind of oversight of their organization.
 
Last edited:
kano said:
. . bless U, Johnnyt.

I take cash, credit card, or paypal.

with all the blessing does that make Ian Anderson the Pope of Pool?

Maybe he will be the POOP of pool after the 21st...or maybe not. Johnnyt
 
Is the US Open sanctioned by the WPA? If it is I bet Barry don't pay them no $10,000 for it. Johnnyt
 
Dragon Promotions and Barry Behrman have had the biggest international fields in the USA for world class events with The Predator International, World 14.1, and US Open. Though keeping in mind Behrmans US Open has had problems paying players in the past and he only does one event a year.
Dragon does multiple international events, might be the best suited .
 
Back
Top