Would it be possible for a Remake of The Hustler to be good?

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chip, it was Fat's who coded out, Fast Eddie when on to work the college, then hustled art before getting burned out. Then, I'm back.

That's exactly right,,I sometimes type faster than thinking. In the Book color of money,,Fast Eddie and Fats have money coming to them for an ABC World of Sports shoot out. Fats dies days before it happens. Now that's really the start of the book in some ways and the movie didn't cover the book at all. I thought the book was a great read but hell i'm just an old man now. What I thought could happen is this,Fast Eddie and and Cruise have been booked to do the Wild World of Sports shoot out Fast Eddie is found assuming room temp and Cruise has to head off in a different direction,,same as the book but with different antagonists .. Then follow Tives's work from that side to do the movie like the original book...

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chip, OK I can see that now. Since Eddie would die off early you just been an old guy with bright blue eyes.

I like the switch from pool to art hustle and back. The scene taking down the hot stick college professor I think was stolen by Pool Hall Junkies.

Anyway that is where a re-make should come from. It keeps it in the family.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy smokes, it just hit me. Dr. Dave as the college professor. It's perfect. Ya just got to stick to the book.

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The next movie opens...

with Vincent playing at a major tournament when an announcement is made that Eddie has passed and the room stops, no balls moving, no noise at all

Vincent, his girlfriend and Eddie's girl (from COM) are the only people at Eddie's gravesite/funeral.

Eddie's girl opens the trunk of her car and gives Vincent the bushka, says Eddie wanted him to have it.

Vincent realizes that he wants to change his life. His girlfriend tells him she's been holding out on him and they have a nice bankroll/investments and they decide to buy a poolroom

They start an annual fast eddie tournament, lots of opportunities to feature pool and pros here.

She's pregnant they have a kid, he hates pool and his parents, he loves pool and his parents

Some bad things/bad people happen, write your own script here.

In the end Eddie breaks the bushka over the bad guys head and they mount the pieces on the wall behind the counter at their room and live happily ever after.

The kid comes into play in the next movie, part 4.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with Vincent playing at a major tournament when an announcement is made that Eddie has passed and the room stops, no balls moving, no noise at all

Vincent, his girlfriend and Eddie's girl (from COM) are the only people at Eddie's gravesite/funeral.

Eddie's girl opens the trunk of her car and gives Vincent the bushka, says Eddie wanted him to have it.

Vincent realizes that he wants to change his life. His girlfriend tells him she's been holding out on him and they have a nice bankroll/investments and they decide to buy a poolroom

They start an annual fast eddie tournament, lots of opportunities to feature pool and pros here.

She's pregnant they have a kid, he hates pool and his parents, he loves pool and his parents

In the end Eddie breaks the bushka over the bad guys head and they mount the pieces on the wall behind the counter at their room and live happily ever after.

They all go bust and open up a drive through daiquiri and crawdad kiosk in Logansport Louisiana.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
More like after 2 Fast Eddie tournaments they realize the money is in leagues and start an APA endeavor. They rake in all the money from running 14 leagues and the league players realize whats really going on and shoot them both dead...

Just a theory....

JV

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've got an idea for one of those 15min shorts: They go on the road, get coronavirus and they all die. Roll credits.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I was thinking of me to take Paul's place as an elderly Eddie. But your version knocks him off in the early part of the first act. So forget about it.

I wish these wantabee script writer's who are trying to modernize the story would read the book. Yeah I know, OK Boomer.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a different type of filmmaking today.

Mostly, you are correct--everything is digital and ends up looking too good (more real than real life).

However, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" was filmed in Panavision (35mm film) along with a couple of scenes in 16mm and 8mm. Giving the cinematography a classic look.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mostly, you are correct--everything is digital and ends up looking too good (more real than real life).

However, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" was filmed in Panavision (35mm film) along with a couple of scenes in 16mm and 8mm. Giving the cinematography a classic look.
There are still quite a few film-makers who still use film. Actually digital is more real like, so much so than a lot of actors did NOT like it at first because you couldn't hide behind the soft focus of film. Its either real or its not and film tends to act like a filter/buffer. Can't hide in digital. It shows warts and all.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see that Hollywood has been doing remakes of some really old classic movies in recent years, so I wonder if a remake of the classic pool movie, The Hustler, could possibly be good?

I think probably not, but I am curious to read some other opinions about it.

If not, then I would be happy to see any really good pool movie with good actors, that is not cheesy in any way, and one that any serious pool player or fan would really enjoy.

I think it would need to show real world situations, like nits arguing over spots that they probably do not need, and maybe a gritty movie with Mafia type people involved, like in The Rounders for example.

Just good actors, an interesting story that any real pool player could relate to, and no over the top cheese. Is that too much to ask?

I have seen the previews of the movies that a few members posted about, and they look horrible, and I have no interest in watching them.

I want another great pool movie, like The Hustler, if that is even possible.

Apparently you have a lot of time on your hands.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Remake never are as good as original.

True Grit.:angry::angry:

Magnificent 7.:angry:

Hollyweird don't get it, they keep doing it, loosing money.

Can not replace John Wayne, Robert Duval, Al Ponchino, and the other great.

No screen writter with idea?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Remake never are as good as original.

True Grit.:angry::angry:

Magnificent 7.:angry:

Hollyweird don't get it, they keep doing it, loosing money.

Can not replace John Wayne, Robert Duval, Al Ponchino, and the other great.

No screen writter with idea?

Actually, I preferred Jeff Bridges (winner of a best actor academy award) and Matt Damon (a frequent nominee for the best actor academy award) as the two lead characters to John Wayne and Glenn Campbell in the 1969 original (Robert Duvall had a small part in the original). Also, the 2010 remake was a huge moneymaker, with a budget of $38,000,000 and a worldwide gross of $252,000,000. So much for losing money.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well we watch the Hustler last night after recording it on TCM Sunday, forgot most of the film. It was great, even being in black & white.

Jackie Gleason, Paul Newman, and George C. Scott are all dead, but their ability to play the parts that payed was great. All three could act without being support by special effects.

Today if they remade this classic, it would be special effects, in color, IMHO could never be as good as the original.

Well we watch the Hustler last night after recording it on TCM Sunday, forgot most of the film. It was great, even being in black & white.

Jackie Gleason, Paul Newman, and George C. Scott are all dead, but their ability to play the parts that payed was great. All three could act without being support by special effects.

Today if they remade this classic, it would be special effects, in color, IMHO could never be as good as the original.

I think that Indie movies have really great acting, and they are usually low budget, so an Indie remake would not have any Special Effects. Just great acting, hopefully.