Would this be interesting to you?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DVD drill of the night:
I set up a few 3 ball patterns exactly like the video and shot them over and over! The first few are pretty basic but each one builds off of the previous one! This was so much fun for a pool drill! Since it's been a day or two since I watched the drills, I paused the vid to locate the object balls and planned my runout before watching his explanation again (mainly to see if I matched/remembered Tors way) reminder, so far for these 3ball drills we are only using center cueball and playing natural angles and speed control.

The one time my runout was planned differently I shot it 10times in a row successfully (make sure I wasn't crazy) and then went back to Tors way 10 times! Tor insists at this point to keep the cue ball on 1/2 the table so I'll admit at first I was a little long on a few shots. And then I was so focused on speed control a few times my object ball never reached the pocket. Lol at that point I turned up the music and quit over analyzing these simple outs! I clicked off about 3hrs like it was 10minutes!!! Never once getting lazy or losing focus. Like I said, it was fun!

Drill tip: with 3 balls the only critical position is going from the one to the two. On the DVD the screen is highlighted with a target shape circle, so I used a 3x5 note card for my shape zone target and also used chalk cubes for rail targets. It's super important that you visualize the rail points and cueball resting points before you shoot!

Tor threw in a gimmick shot between the 3ball and 4ball patterns on the DVD. I will probably set it up a few different ways like his examples, but tomorrow's goal will be to continue on the 4ball set ups. I think Tor put these random shots or tips in between the drills to keep it from being boring so I will respect his lesson plan and make an effort to do everything he says.

These drills went into my permanent notebook (for now)
I also went back into my notebook and gave the drills two ratings (1-10) for importance and the other rating is for the fun factor. I believe from past experiences to be consistent with a lesson plan you got to stay slightly entertained so when I create my own lesson plan Ill break up my least favorites with the fun ones mixed in!

The best feeling in the world is thinking about that pool table on the drive home from work, im I wrong? Lol

Big Jay

Registered
I love reading the updates on how everything is going!!! I am very sorry about the family problems and send my prayer's as I have told you in person!!! I can see improvements in your game even if you can't!! The 8 hrs we spent playing 9ball a week ago was crazy fun and I look forward to doing it again sometime!!! Even though I lost 36-40 it was a crazy 76 games we played!!! Keep up the hard work and I look forward to future posts!!!

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started doing this drill yesterday, I'm going to see if I can get to 3k, this is going to be a HUGE mental challenge for me, I'm going to focus on nothing but pause on final stroke and hitting dead center. I'm not going to worry about any draw, follow, left/right English.

I'm also going to limit it to 250 shots and about 62 min time limit twice a day, can I do 300 a session ? Sure but I'm looking for quality not quanety.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started doing this drill yesterday, I'm going to see if I can get to 3k, this is going to be a HUGE mental challenge for me, I'm going to focus on nothing but pause on final stroke and hitting dead center. I'm not going to worry about any draw, follow, left/right English.

I'm also going to limit it to 250 shots and about 62 min time limit twice a day, can I do 300 a session ? Sure but I'm looking for quality not quanety.

You will also need to focus on sliding the cueball to different distances, have the ball skid 2feet before rolling, then 4feet, then 6feet etc. this is important later when playing shape on a long straight shot and you want to roll forward a few inches after contact, or stop it dead etc. you are correct and saying it's mentally challenging, you will probably need to reduce the pocket size also just to stay engaged. It's to easy just to fire balls in for a 2000-3000 ball count. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to order the DVD that covers rolling and slide, but this particular drill I'm just focusing on center CB final pause and follow thru, by the time the DVD comes in I will be able to skip the 3k stroke test and move right along.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I do the 3000 I would do 100-300 in a row. Each session changing the place I would hit the cue ball.
100 draw, 100 low right etc trying to hit a specific part of the pocket. It is a fun exersize to see if you can make it to 3k.
I like the sliding cue idea, gotta try that next time. Great thread mvp, i look forward to keeping up with it.

Reactions: mvp

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thsnks for taking the time to do this for community and sorry to hear about the family. I find this extremely interesting and of great value, I've been wanting to really work on book, video ect... for years but haven't had the table to do so until recently. I'll have it up and going hopefully by mid September.

This thread has made me want to follow along with Tors videos as well. I'll be ordering them and will aspire to work though them in the same manner as you. I couldn't imagine not seeing a vast improvement in ones game. Once again thanks for taking the time to document this.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered the digital download versions last night, i get so impatient when waiting for stuff thru the mail, 11 hours of videos total.

My table won't be set up for at least a month so I can wait for the DVDs.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mvp, I hope things are improving with your family and I just wanted to thank you for this, it's been quite an enjoyable ride, even if I'm fairly certain I will never have the discipline to follow your path. I respect your original idea and even more the fact that you haven't given up on the training plan as well as not giving up on giving us detailed overview of the process. You, sir, are an inspiration!

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for the encouragement and family well wishes, I did end up losing my mother in law this week, pool is on hold for a few more days,

My current pool drill:
I've worked my way into Tors 4ball drills, I'm using the notebook circle sticker things still, and currently have 4 different patterns layed out. I've probably done each one around 50times and I have them dialed to match the video.

My personal variation:
Now before I shoot any layout, I place a 2x4 piece of thin paper down as my shape zone on all 3balls (1st one is ball in hand) I do this alternating my layouts so it's not a memory type thing. I must end the session landing on every target on all 4 layouts or i start over.

My random thoughts:
Playing shape onto a paper target smaller than a dollar bill sounds hard, it wasn't until I did the layout a few times that I could do it. But now it's so simple on these preplanned layouts!! It's just a matter of speed, and angles, the drills insist vertical axis only, but I'm not gonna lie!!!! I did spin my way back into shape more than once lol. It would be so beneficial to create millions of 4-5 ball layouts and practice them! It's really never ending!

My goal this week:
To get through the family issue, funeral on Monday. Probably won't stand at the pool table until Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll give an update if I get to the next chapter, hopefully by Saturday.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for not updating this lately, I'm currently stuck around the two hrs a week practice time. Cleaning out my late mother in laws house mixed in with crazy developments at work make it tough to get to the table. But when I do I'm playing 9ball ghost to escape from my day to day issues! This experiment really was showing GREAT results fairly quickly. But to be fair I was at the table 20hrs a week for months. So is it the time or the material????? I personally think it's both!

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow!!!!!!!!!
What a difference a month can make in life! now I'm officially being transferred to Jasper Indiana full time for work. so it's fair to say I never gave up on pool but it will have to take a back seat for a while! To be honest I've had a little time here and there to play, I tried once just to relax but it doesn't seem right! I can't complain about have more work responsibilities! Thank you all who encouraged me with this thred, I will be back to start at the beginning once I get settled!