Would you call a foul on yourself?

Would you call a foul on yourself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've called fouls/penalties on myself in both golf/pool forever. I don't need/want to win that bad.
You will earn the respect of your opponent, and maybe even more importantly your own self respect, if you make a habit of always calling fouls on yourself, even if you know with 100% certainty that you are the only one who knows you fouled.

In saying that, don’t expect that everyone else you play will do the same, so you need to pay attention. If I clearly see my opponent foul, I will generally give them a few seconds after the infraction to let me know, and if they don’t, then I will let them know what I saw and see how they respond.

Allowing your opponent to get away with a clear foul is almost as bad as failing to call one on yourself. Of course that’s based on the situation. If you are playing for fun and playing a player who for instance doesn’t really understand what is a double hit foul is, and this player is a non competitive player who is not likely to ever play in one of our tournaments in which an opponent is going to call it, I would just let it go.

Last edited:

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Only a matter of time before someone mentions golfer Bobby Jones when these kind of threads pop up.

At the 1925 U.S. Open, Bobby Jones moved his ball slightly while setting up for a shot. No one saw it, but Jones was adamant that the ball had moved and assessed himself a one-stroke penalty, costing him the win, as he went on to lose in a playoff. Praised for his classy move, Jones quipped, “You might as well praise me for not robbing banks.”​

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have called fouls on myself many times. If you go with the BS that the other player is the referee when there isn't an official one then you can't expect him to stay in his chair too. With friends, I call fouls, no question. With strangers I call fouls. If a tournament or other reason forces me to play with a person that doesn't call their own fouls I have various ways to deal with them.

The obvious thing is "when in Rome do as the Romans do." Ignore my own fouls if I make one they can't see. What is much more fun is the fake out when the table is open and I have room to play shape from multiple positions. Even the densest soon realizes that they can't see past my ass on many of my shots! It is wide but it ain't that wide. I play shape to hide my shots.

The most fun is the occasional addition to this. I shoot then quickly jerk my head around to look at my opponent! When I do this a time or two I have had people jump out of their chair screaming "FOUL!" "Really, what did I do? You couldn't see." Soon I have them so worried about these imaginary fouls that they are losing their minds. Meantime, I am in a fine mood laughing at them!

Another thing, if my opponent wants me to be their referee, I will act like a referee. You don't see them with their butts glued to a chair and I get up when I need to in order to see a shot too. If it means hanging directly over or in front of a shot to see, well that is what a referee does!

Most people are more than agreeable with calling our own fouls. I find that works best for everyone. If I find myself playing with people with no honor, I never play them again if it can be avoided. I was more of a fight fire with fire kind of guy when I was much younger and constantly in the grease. Not worth the bother these days.

Hu

No, that's the referees job.
There isn't always a ref.
Let the foul be called. Not calling a foul
on yourself is not cheating. It’s not bad sportsmanship.
It is very poor sportmanship, and shows lacking in character. Winning a game, while getting away with a foul is like cheating on your spouse, or them cheating on you but you don't see it. How would you feel about your marriage if you kept it from them, or find out they kept it from you?

Not to mention, there is an honor system in place when there isn't a ref, as well as when there is one and he/she misses it. If you are known to me to be a player who welches on fouls, then I would treating every shot you take like a ref does when a close shot is about to be made. So that's the alternative.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its a whole different world you live in, natural pool player. when you just play in ten dollar tournaments and play as you probably do for no more than a box of crackerjacks.
go to a poolroom filled with bettors and thieves and gamblers and bet big and see if they are calling fouls on themselves those times when you cant see it. thats the world of higher stakes gambling in pool and whatever. something you will never experience so dont condemn people for acting according to the environment they are in.

its a whole different world you live in, natural pool player. when you just play in ten dollar tournaments and play as you probably do for no more than a box of crackerjacks.
go to a poolroom filled with bettors and thieves and gamblers and bet big and see if they are calling fouls on themselves those times when you cant see it. thats the world of higher stakes gambling in pool and whatever. something you will never experience so dont condemn people for acting according to the environment they are in.
The amount of money you are playing for shouldn't dictate how you play. Also, I wouldn't gamble with cheats.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Naah, I was playing with the half a man part. These days you can be half a man, half a woman, and still have a few halves left over for other things. Off to NPR for me!

Hu
Missed that....funny. You can be 1/2 of the other and still have a set or and be a hole person. Regardless... would a chicken call fowl?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will always call a foul myself, I'd die before I turn myself into the police. Two very different things imo.
Completely different

I always call a foul on myself.

I’m not s snitch or a rat.

Crime and pool are 2 different things. How anyone could confuse them is beyond me.

Fatboy<——plays on the square

Edit : cheating and lying are 2 different topics as well. Not to the lazy minded person, but for people who are deep thinkers. There’s a clear difference

I find its the opposite.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve called a fake foul on my opponent to get him rattled. I had one customer in the 80’s this always worked on. Nothing to be proud of, I was broke and did what I had to do. He spotted me the 7 playing 9B.

It wasn’t big $ pool, just $50-$100/set pool. He couldn’t make a ball after that move. Solid player too. I figured it out by accident once. I wrongfully called a foul-he went off the rails and I won. He never knew the move, it lasted 2 years until I moved to vegas.

Finding a way to win,
Fatboy 😂

R2PQZ

I was playing a famous player in a tourney in Missoula. He cued up very close to the cue ball. He had told me years before he did it because his stroke was not perfect.On this day he was playing with an altered state of mind. Partying all not and not sleeping. I called foul twice as his tip touched the cueball while aiming. I won the race to nine. When the match was over he said you called that on me twice. He said he did a third time and I didn't see it. He has been gone about 10 years and is greatly missed.