Would you go two tables or not??

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't see myself developing enough of a 3 cushion game that I need to play on the real deal but it would be a nice way to develop my game and get some variety.
No carom or snooker tables to be found anymore. I practice billiards on any table I can get to. The cool thing pool wise is you learn to run the ball with plenty enough precision for position.

tomatoshooter

No carom or snooker tables to be found anymore. I practice billiards on any table I can get to. The cool thing pool wise is you learn to run the ball with plenty enough precision for position.
Sometimes I play a game with 2 object balls and a cue ball. If I can get the cue ball to touch both object balls I get a point. Touch both and sink one is 2 points and sink both is 4 points. I know there was an early billiards game very similar. I like playing different games because you take different kinds of shots. One of the local pool halls has a couple of carom tables, I need to spend a couple of hours on one.

NevadaP

One table and make use of the additional space. Lounge area, TV, bar… Space is a much more valuable commodity in the long run…

I can almost guarantee that one of the tables will almost never be used.

The only exception that I would personally make, would be if one of the tables was for a completely different game. Say snooker or 3-C.
Exactly what I would say.
Room space is the one commodity which you can't add later.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I play a game with 2 object balls and a cue ball. If I can get the cue ball to touch both object balls I get a point. Touch both and sink one is 2 points and sink both is 4 points. I know there was an early billiards game very similar. I like playing different games because you take different kinds of shots. One of the local pool halls has a couple of carom tables, I need to spend a couple of hours on one.
Kinda Pyramid or English-ish. The Chinese play something with three balls and a cueball. The rules escape me but one of the objects is to hit three balls with the cue ball. I call that part trilliards. I practice just that part to tighten up my caroms. Good drill.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I though about this thread for a couple days. Read some good posts.

My 4¢ (had to raise my prices because of inflation)

I’ve been down this road of more than one box at home. I had a huge house in Vegas-those here who saw it understand. Those who didn’t see-will never understand. Let’s just say I could have had 50 tables and not ran out of room.

Ok what’s the point?

I had a main playing room, was amazing. Many champions past & present played there. That room usually had a GC in it, occasionally my Diamond. Both 9’ tables. Because that room was best what ever was in there got 90% of the use. Maybe 95%.

In another perfectly outfitted room I had a 12’ Riley steel block tourney snooker table. With everything done perfectly and plenty of room. Was rarely used.

I never added a barbox or carom table because I knew they wouldn’t get much play.

The main room where all the play was is where we always played, practiced, gambled, sat around and talked. It held rail birds as well as players and was comfortable. Which created a nice environment. We did the Mosconi Cup prep meetings and practice in that room comfortably.

The point is it’s not how many tables you have, it’s the atmosphere you build out that makes a home room great.

The barbox mite get some use, but at what cost? Space is the cost. Giving up that space in 24x24 is a lot to pay to have a barbox. Imo.

If I was a hardcore 3C player maybe make the case to have a 9’ & carom table. But that’s not me. Ernesto has that set up at his house and he likes it. It’s been done before. Mike Massey had a carom table at his spot 10 years ago.

If I had 24x24 I’d build out a single table done absolutely perfectly. If there’s room you can add a poker table in what would be the extra space for rail birds while the pool table is in use. If that’s your thing as they can be moved in & out easy and only use up storage space when not in use. I’m not a poker player but that’s a option. The extra space is better than a barbox clogging things up. That’s my point. 2 pool tables in 24x24 is tight imo. One done properly is the better choice.

A barbox is the last idea for the extra space-imo. Because it’s not portable like a poker table or sitting area. Your results may vary. Your space your call. Congrats on having a wonderful room! Do it your way and enjoy!

I’ve built out many many home rooms, and that’s my 4¢ opinion.

Best
Fatboy <———needs to set up his box.

Last edited:

406jwh

Ok I though about this thread for a couple days. Read some good posts.

My 4¢ (had to raise my prices because of inflation)

I’ve been down this road of more than one box at home. I had a huge house in Vegas-those here who saw it understand. Those who didn’t see-will never understand. Let’s just say I could have had 50 tables and not ran out of room.

Ok what’s the point?

I had a main playing room, was amazing. Many champions past & present played there. That room usually had a GC in it, occasionally my Diamond. Both 9’ tables. Because that room was best what ever was in there got 90% of the use. Maybe 95%.

In another perfectly outfitted room I had a 12’ Riley steel block tourney snooker table. With everything done perfectly and plenty of room. Was rarely used.

I never added a barbox or carom table because I knew they wouldn’t get much play.

The main room where all the play was is where we always played, practiced, gambled, sat around and talked. It held rail birds as well as players and was comfortable. Which created a nice environment. We did the Mosconi Cup prep meetings and practice in that room comfortably.

The point is it’s not how many tables you have, it’s the atmosphere you build out that makes a home room great.

The barbox mite get some use, but at what cost? Space is the cost. Giving up that space in 24x24 is a lot to pay to have a barbox. Imo.

If I was a hardcore 3C player maybe make the case to have a 9’ & carom table. But that’s not me. Ernesto has that set up at his house and he likes it. It’s been done before. Mike Massey had a carom table at his spot 10 years ago.

If I had 24x24 I’d build out a single table done absolutely perfectly. If there’s room you can add a poker table in what would be the extra space for rail birds while the pool table is in use. If that’s your thing as they can be moved in & out easy and only use up storage space when not in use. I’m not a poker player but that’s a option. The extra space is better than a barbox clogging things up. That’s my point. 2 pool tables in 24x24 is tight imo. One done properly is the better choice.

A barbox is the last idea for the extra space-imo. Because it’s not portable like a poker table or sitting area. Your results may vary. Your space your call. Congrats on having a wonderful room! Do it your way and enjoy!

I’ve built out many many home rooms, and that’s my 4¢ opinion.

Best
Fatboy <———needs to set up his box.
Thanks for the response..I have pretty much made up my mind to go with the 9 and sell my bar box. I enjoy playing on the 9 the most and I think have a room that is more open and easy to move around in is more advantageous not to mention I can really set it up. The more I stare at the space the cooler ideas I have for how to make it enjoyable

Jordan

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response..I have pretty much made up my mind to go with the 9 and sell my bar box. I enjoy playing on the 9 the most and I think have a room that is more open and easy to move around in is more advantageous not to mention I can really set it up. The more I stare at the space the cooler ideas I have for how to make it enjoyable

Jordan
Great idea.

I’d bet you would rarely use the barbox when you have a 9’ table. I thought about setting one up. Jay Helfert and I had inventory on my property and I could have easily “set one up” and never did as I knew it would just catch dust.

That extra space is crucial when building out a comfortable room to play in. You’ll use it. And also just being in a more comfortable spacious room feels better.

One suggestion, not many go this route but it’s the dead nuts. I like to put indoor/outdoor carpet as flooring with no pad. So when you play long sessions your legs don’t get tired. Also table doesn’t settle like on thick padded carpet.

The last trick is run the carpet up the walls 60-64” inches(you can go a bit higher or lower a bit it’s not a precise number-what ever the carpet measures is fine just over 60” is fine). Eliminates all the echo and the room will feel bigger with better acoustics. Also if a ball hits the wall or someone leans a cue(bad idea) the carpet holds it and they don’t fall. I learned this idea from Mary Kenningston she had carpet up the walls in her pool room Cuetopia in Vegas. It might sound weird but it’s the best idea period. Also use dark carpet-when your down on a shot most of the time there’s nothing to distract your vision. Unless your lined up with the chairs etc. Trust me on this. I was around pool for almost 20 years before I learned this and was in 100’s of pool rooms before I saw it in her pool room.

I ran the carpet up the walls on my next home room. Gin!!! The mortal Hungarian nuts!

Best

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those trilliards are awesome. I see the shot clock ticking. Is he on a run?
Yes, he made 6 points in a row. To make one single point, you have to make 3 caroms in a row. The first shot is a carom into any two balls. The second shot is a carom into any two balls (I'm not sure if one may have to be different than the first shot). The third shot you have to carom the CB into all 3 balls. All 3 of those together equal one point, and you can continue your inning. I played this game a few times in Taiwan, (15 years ago), and its hard just making one point.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, he made 6 points in a row. To make one single point, you have to make 3 caroms in a row. The first shot is a carom into any two balls. The second shot is a carom into any two balls (I'm not sure if one may have to be different than the first shot). The third shot you have to carom the CB into all 3 balls. All 3 of those together equal one point, and you can continue your inning. I played this game a few times in Taiwan, (15 years ago), and its hard just making one point.
This looks like fun!

And yes very hard. Looks easy when guys play real strong.

phreaticus

Guess I’ll be the outlier. Obviously keep the 9 but I would love to have both. Ideal for me would tight big table & nice fun easy 7’ also. Your sq footage seems slightly challenged to have comfy room for both, but if you can get proper playing space for both, I’d definitely go for both.

Nice problem to have!

✌️

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I’ll be the outlier. Obviously keep the 9 but I would live to have both. Ideal for me would tight big table & nice fun easy 7’ also. Your sq footage seems slightly challenged to have comfy room for both, but if you can get proper playing space for both, I’d definitely go for both.

Nice problem to have!

✌️
It is a great problem to have 💪💪

Ed13

Set up my pool room with a 9' GC3 and a 12' snooker table. Had both tables refinished to match. Also have a designated area for darts, trying to decide if I want 1 or 2 boards. Another area for poker or board games. Next week will be setting up a 2 channel stereo and a 85" TV as well to watch baseball and football.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those numbers don't add up. 9 'x 4.5' you need about 19' x 9' minimum.
That leaves approximately 6' x 15'.
The 7''er needs about 17' x 14'.
I could be wrong,,, I was onced in '76

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having an internal battle in my head..have a 24'x24' man cave ...also have a 9 foot goldcrown and a 7 foot brunswick ..can fill the space with both tables and have a small lounge area or just run the 9 and have a lot more usable space. What would you guys do?

I like the idea of having both a 7 and a 9 in the space just not sure it's overly necessary.

If you already have the tables I vote for both, especially if you host friends a lot.

You can even get a table top(or make one) cheaply to use as a buffet or table from time to time too.