Would you prefer to see 10-foot Tables in Championship matches?

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a recent Tournament played on 5 x 10 Pool Tables. It seemed like some very good players struggled. Should more matches be played on the 10 footers? Does it separate the "Men from the Boys"? In my old neighborhood poolroom,there were two 10 footers,and mainly One-Pocket and Bank Money-Matches were played on them. Occasionally,a Straight-Pool match might be played on them.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I should have asked if you think that a Ten foot table shows who has the stronger overall game between two players,more than a Nine-footer?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I should have asked if you think that a Ten foot table shows who has the stronger overall game between two players,more than a Nine-footer?

Again, I think you should make this a poll -- it would be interesting to see the feedback you'd get.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely not. I don't even want to watch the match if they are playing on a different table than I play on. Pool rooms aren't going to put 10' footers in and there's no where to practice on 10' footers. How am I or anyone else supposed to judge where their game is, if their not even playing on the same type equipment as the pros. Even the pros would have a hard time finding a 10' footer to practice on, why do I want to see or would I pay to see a pro play on tables that they haven't had a chance to practice on except maybe a couple of hours at a tournament. I think this is absolutely the wrong direction to move in for pro pool, and I think when thought threw it really doesn't make a lot of sense. I won't support it by buying any streams with 10' foot tables nor am I buying any DVD's of any tournament played 10' foot tables.

If anything room owners are going in the opposite direction which I don't like to see either, they are taking out 9 footers and putting in more BB.

The league players don't seem all that interested in professional pool to start with. I think all people are doing by trying to have the pros play on different equipment is creating more of a disconnect than there already is. I would be willing to bet that 98% of the league players have never played on a 10' footer, for that matter they don't even have a concept as to how much harder it is to play on tight pocket 9 foot tables. Further more they don't really care! All a league player sees, if you can even get them to watch pro pool is if a professional is missing shots and that's about as far as it goes.
So I say please, leave the 9' foot tables alone.

If you want to make the game harder and apparently some of you do, play 15 ball rotation I grew up playing that and it's a great game, much harder.

If you don't like that game then play 9 ball with a full rack of balls, the nine regular balls (1-9) and say six solid yellow balls. But here again even though I like the idea of this game, you'd be playing something the average player doesn't understand. Play the game with the regular nine ball rules, where you have to shoot them in in order but as long as you make a good hit on the lowest ball if something falls you keep shooting. This way if one of the solid yellow balls is blocking a pocket you can combo it in, or make it with a carom or how ever as long as you hit the lowest ball first like in regular nine ball. Then after the yellow is made it would spot up right away, and you keep shooting.

Basically all the solid yellow balls are for is to make running out harder, by blocking position lanes and shots, forcing more exact position play, and bumping balls to achieve position. The same thing some are trying to achieve by monkeying around with the tables (10' footers).

What are room owners more likely to do, take out two 9 foot tables to put in one 10 footer, or buy six solid yellow balls. I know what the real answer is, LOL, neither, you're right. The six solid yellow balls would really be for when pool is filmed, on a stream or TV match, you could play this game with a reg set of balls it's just less obvious where the blockers are that's all. My thoughts on bringing back, the dead (Ten Footers).

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a recent Tournament played on 5 x 10 Pool Tables. It seemed like some very good players struggled. Should more matches be played on the 10 footers? Does it separate the "Men from the Boys"? In my old neighborhood poolroom,there were two 10 footers,and mainly One-Pocket and Bank Money-Matches were played on them. Occasionally,a Straight-Pool match might be played on them.
Unless 10 footers became the norm in pool rooms everywhere there is no point. People want to see the same game played that they play. I can play the same golf courses the pros play, same with tennis and so on. For the public they have to have a connection to the game and identify with the pros and the game being played. To do that they have to be playing the same game. Since they are not going to be installing 10 foot tables in pool rooms any time soon, what would be the point.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Unless 10 footers became the norm in pool rooms everywhere there is no point. People want to see the same game played that they play. I can play the same golf courses the pros play, same with tennis and so on. For the public they have to have a connection to the game and identify with the pros and the game being played. To do that they have to be playing the same game. Since they are not going to be installing 10 foot tables in pool rooms any time soon, what would be the point.

I feel similarly. I'm not very interested in the 10 footers. There are absolutely none anywhere near me. I want to see games that I can play as well.

Also, it was revealed recently that SVB does not like the 10 footers either. He said that there are just too cumbersome and some shots just aren't possible because of limited body position.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think the movement towards tiny pockets and ten foot tables is mostly a macho thing. Like, "let's lay 'em on the table and get out a ruler and see who shoots straightest." It doesn't have a lot to do with quality pool. Pool is about more than who can drill in long shots or who is better at contorting his body to stretch across the table.

Seeing pros miss more doesn't interest me as a spectator, or as a player.

As for separating the men from the boys... I think a long race and challenging games like 10b and 1pocket and 14.1 does that. I'm not interested in a game where the equipment is the deciding factor between two very skilled players who are close in skill level.

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yessiree!!

Though it's true bringing 10ft tables back might be a bit inconvenient, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the players face the challenge of the 10 footers. As far as seperating the "men from the boys," that's what Earl was screaming before he got his ass handed to him by Landon! Earl was right about one thing. Everyone is running out these days. A race to 7 could be determined by the winner of the flip or lag. Even races to 15 don't seem to level the field. The point is, something has to be done to bring out the skills without dragging a tournament out for days and days. If I won the toss or a lag, I have the potential to beat Archer or anyone in a race to 7. Put us on a 10 footer, my lack of skills will shine through! Ten foot tables, in my opinion, is exactly what pro pool needs!

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
Yes! I would be very interested. Irving Crane told me he always had an edge since he had one of these tables to practice on and was used to playing on it while others where not. 10 footers would be fun to try and get used to as well in the pool halls IMHO.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing having a tournament on 10-foot tables proves is who plays on 10-foot tables best. That's about it. If you had a tournament with the same people on 7-foot tables, there's reason to believe you will have entirely different results and that tournament would also prove who is best on 7-footers.

Does it separate the "men from the boys"? I dunno. Go to Vegas during the BCAPL and see how you fair against "the boys" on the 7-footers in the action room. I'm not knocking the idea of 10-foot tables. On the contrary, I think it's important to have tournaments on varying equipment to keep things fresh. However, there are some great players that have constructed really beautiful games especially designed for small tables that I would never knock as being inferior.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Though it's true bringing 10ft tables back might be a bit inconvenient, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the players face the challenge of the 10 footers. As far as seperating the "men from the boys," that's what Earl was screaming before he got his ass handed to him by Landon! Earl was right about one thing. Everyone is running out these days. A race to 7 could be determined by the winner of the flip or lag. Even races to 15 don't seem to level the field. The point is, something has to be done to bring out the skills without dragging a tournament out for days and days. If I won the toss or a lag, I have the potential to beat Archer or anyone in a race to 7. Put us on a 10 footer, my lack of skills will shine through! Ten foot tables, in my opinion, is exactly what pro pool needs!
Maybe as a novelty but would it in the long run be beneficial to the game? That is what really matters and will bring fans and ultimately money to the game. What is good for the game and not the pros is what matters. I am sure there are some golfers who would like to play on 12,000 yard courses with all par fives but that is a selfish reason to change the game.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes! I would be very interested. Irving Crane told me he always had an edge since he had one of these tables to practice on and was used to playing on it while others where not. 10 footers would be fun to try and get used to as well in the pool halls IMHO.

Unfortunately a lot of your fun might be taken away just trying to find a pool room that has one, good luck.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO 10 and 12ft tables should be the only sizes produced. Ever.
If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe as a novelty but would it in the long run be beneficial to the game? That is what really matters and will bring fans and ultimately money to the game. What is good for the game and not the pros is what matters. I am sure there are some golfers who would like to play on 12,000 yard courses with all par fives but that is a selfish reason to change the game.

I think it's important to note that 10-foot tables will never become the norm. Simply put, there are too many poolrooms out there that use standard 9-foot and so long as that's the case, the standard will remain 9-foot. A tournament played on 10-foot tables would have to be an event outside of a poolroom which would keep it as a novelty. If there is any direction poolrooms are going in, it's smaller, not bigger.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It does not.

Freddie <~~~ let's have a 500 foot table to see who has the stronger overall game

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't want to change the game. I just think the bar needs to be raised. If I'm going to play in a pro tournament, I would rather play on 7 foot tables. Why? Because I have a chance to win. Not because I play better than them on 7 footers, but because the game is easier on 7 footers. If I'm watching a pro tournament, I don't want to see some banger like me win a toss and run the set out on a 7 footer against Alex. Now, if that same banger went head to head with Alex on a 10ft table and managed to make a game of it, that would be interesting. To me, getting rid of as much of the "luck" factor as possible is a good thiing.
There are good points on both sides of this topic. The reality is, 10 foot tables are inconvenient for poolrooms, and individuals. The days of the big poolrooms with the big tables is becoming a thing of the past. The economy and the moral stance of government these days is forcing pool into a novelty status altogether. I would love to see poolrooms like we saw in "The Hustler" and even "The Color of Money" make a comeback, but I just don't see it happening. Diamond bringing back the ten foot table is an attempt to step in that direction. Just my humble, uneducated opinion, of course...

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
[...]
Freddie <~~~ let's have a 500 foot table to see who has the stronger overall game

We already do, and it's a game that, like pool, is also known by name that is a four-letter word -- golf.

;)
-Sean

apa8ballchump

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who do you want to see win?

Do you want to see the same people win over and over again. Do you think there is a chance for a player of a lessor skill level to go to a tournament to play on a 10 foot table that they are not used to. Just to watch the same person win over and over again. Try this: Punch yourself in the arm in the same spot, and tell me when it hurts and stop. That is what it is like for people of lessor skill level to go play in a tournament that they have no chance to win. How many pool rooms have room to put any 10 footers in them. If you have pro tournaments on them a player would have to move where they have at least one to play on. You know that is not possible. And how many other people will play on a table that makes them look silly. How many bar tables can you put into that space. I like to play on them for 1-pocket but haven't for a long time. Do people think that the lower the race that the best players still don't win. The rum runner in vegas is a race to 6 I do believe is on bar tables and SVB has won how many times? So if you make it a long race and bigger the table how many people will show up?

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"championship..."

Let's not forget, the original post asked about "championship" matches, not every tournament. Chances are, in championship matches, we are going to see the same players anyway. Watching Alex and Johnny battle it out will be entertaining for a long time!