Would You Want To Be These Guys???

jjinfla

Banned
Let's see now. Mika lost his first match today 8-0. I guess that makes him a has been.

When you are on the bottom there is no place to go but up.

Last place in the IPT is still heads and shoulders above no place in the IPT.

Jake

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
You know, when I was a just a teen, every summer day that was okay, I'd play tennis with this boy. He just about always beat me 6-0, 6-1, and sometimes 6-2, but every game went to a tie breaker.

Sometimes the final score really doesn't explain the entire match.

Barbara

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
I talked to Ryan and he is humbled by his losses. He said he was extremely nervous and just couldn't get out. Ryan is an APA 6 that put his application in then agonized whether to accept the tour card or not. I for one am glad he had the gumption to put in an application on an unknown tour that everyone else sat back to watch and wait on.

And just so you know...I ALMOST won a match at the NAO, going hill-hill with a qualifier, and that was after I was stuck 7-3, with him on the hill. :eek: I have only posted 3 measly break and runs, but I messed up at least 16 (average 4 per set) at the WO where I hung the 8 or the ball before it. :mad:

Back to the practice table....or need bigger pockets, lol.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ryan Keller is OK in my book. He pursued a dream, and those empowered to do so gave him the opportunity he sought. Once chosen, I cannot fault him for following his dream. Every indication is that he's in over his head, but blame that on those who chose the original 150, and not on Ryan Keller.

Good luck to Ryan in his next IPT event.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I don't see why getting your ass kicked by the worlds best players is embarrassing. Especially if you are not of that caliber yourself.

I wouldn't mind getting pummeled 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 in a tennis match against Roger Federrer. I would only hope that he would be nice enough to humour me a bit and keep me in the rally for a bit. Or atleast not serve all ace's :D.

The only question is whether or not they should have turned in their tour card and I am happy they didn't. It's a chance of life time to play with your heroes.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually a good question.

My take is this; Would you rather graduate at the top of your class from a local state school, or graduate with low grades from Yale?

I will also agree that getting smoked 0-32 really brings into question if you really belong at the tournament, nerves or whatever the case may be.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Eric. said:
Actually, the pay is $5000.

But there are some expenses. I don't think finishing last in an IPT event is terribly profitable, and is a loosing proposition if you consider opportunity costs.

Eric. said:
Personally, I'm a little envious. I can't play near the top players either and am kicking myself for not submitting my IPT app.

Just enter the DCC .... or save up and buy more raffle tickets than Willie.

Dave

DaveK

Silver Member
Cameron Smith said:
I don't see why getting your ass kicked by the worlds best players is embarrassing. Especially if you are not of that caliber yourself.

I wouldn't mind getting pummeled 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 in a tennis match against Roger Federrer. I would only hope that he would be nice enough to humour me a bit and keep me in the rally for a bit. Or atleast not serve all ace's :D.

Just remember Cameron, to make this comparison meaningful you would have to play Mr. Federer in a tournament with lots of paying spectators in the stands. While it may be rewarding for you, it surely would be a waste of money for the fans, and you might hear about it during the match. Yes, I am making some assumtions about your tennis game ;)

On a similar note, there are quite a few PGA Tour golfers who dislike or refuse to play in Pro-Ams. Just food for thought.

Dave

DaveK

Silver Member
Gregg said:
My take is this; Would you rather graduate at the top of your class from a local state school, or graduate with low grades from Yale?

It would be more like flunking out of Yale in the first semester, imo.

Dave, who didn't like the 'just apply and we'll pick' method in the first place, thankfully it will improve should the IPT carry through on everything

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
DaveK said:
But there are some expenses. I don't think finishing last in an IPT event is terribly profitable, and is a loosing proposition if you consider opportunity costs.

True, it's a break even or losing proposition. I was just responding to the poster who thought that for this tourney, last paid $13k.

Just enter the DCC .... or save up and buy more raffle tickets than Willie.

I've got tentative plans to hit DCC and I may have to break my piggy bank and try to outspend Williebuymore :p

Dave

Eric >DCC...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
DaveK said:
Dave, who didn't like the 'just apply and we'll pick' method in the first place, thankfully it will improve should the IPT carry through on everything
How many AZBers wished that they had applied, knowing that they could have easily been picked for the first year?

The redux fantasy has crossed my pea-brain more than once.

Fred

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
I would never give up a chance to find out how I stand against some of the worlds best. If it costs me a few bucks for travel and accomodations who cares.

If you ever have any aspirations to make a living at pool then this would have been a good reality check.

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
DaveK said:
It would be more like flunking out of Yale in the first semester, imo.

Hi Dave,

While many did not like the application process, that means that all those people now in the top 100 that never had a 'name' would not be there either. Guys that may only be known locally because they never hit the pro circuit, like my husband, Mike Zimmerman, or those that were only known in their own country.

Think of all the great qualifiers that no one had ever heard of before. This would not have happened if everyone had not had a shot and was only based on world rankings. And the qualifiers never would have come out if there was no one to replace in the IPT. ;)

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
If everybody took that attitude, local tournaments would have at most a half dozen people in them. The rest of the entrants know they don't stand a chance, but just want to play and it's worth the entry fee to them.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
catscradle said:
If everybody took that attitude, local tournaments would have at most a half dozen people in them. The rest of the entrants know they don't stand a chance, but just want to play and it's worth the entry fee to them.

You can say that again.

A few weeks ago, yours truly played Mike Davis in a 9 ball event at First Break in Sterling, VA. Race to 5. He won. So what. He won 5-0. So what again. I played fast and loose, got ball in hand a few times, ran some balls, dogged the 9, So what?? Now, guess what? I might just win the next time we play. How do I know that? Well, first of all, he missed some shots he should never have missed. Secondly, he lost to Brandon Shuff later in the tournament. Maybe he didn't bring his best game to the table. Perhaps he was concentrating on his hamburger. Whatever. But in a race to 5, unusual things can happen. And while nobody will win a tournament that has several pros in it, even in a short race, on luck alone, or getting the rolls, those are elements of the game. So, can I win against Mike Davis? Of course I can. The $20 entry fee was well worth the experience.

The mental game is huge...

Flex

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Playing agains the good ones ...

I think it is good to see certain players play or to play against them, it is a reality check on just how good yiou are, and a reality check on just how good they are. Sometimes you hear about certain players being a bigtime gambler winning lots of money, and seeing them in person, in a match on the net or TV, or playing against them, gives a much better perspective and helps you fit them into the 'big picture', and not just a regional picture.

The pros make mistakes, miss balls, don't always get shape, and make logic mistakes in games. Watching or playing against them, you get a much better handle on their strengths and weaknesses. Many times, you will see players that always make the same type of mistake time after time, and then begin to understand why they always lose to a certain other player. I have counted many times when a lessor player on the food chain should have played a safety on their opponent (high percentage) as opposed for going for a low percentage shot. The lessor player could have maintained the advantage better, but did not choose to. Unless you are playing Efren, your opponents kick shots are guesses at best.

There were some players in the IPT - Reno tournament that I have heard so much about hiow good they are, never got to see them shoot in person, but failed to get to round 2 or 3 in the tournament. It readjusts your thinking a little.

Last edited:

DaveK

Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
Hi Dave,

While many did not like the application process, that means that all those people now in the top 100 that never had a 'name' would not be there either. Guys that may only be known locally because they never hit the pro circuit, like my husband, Mike Zimmerman, or those that were only known in their own country.

Think of all the great qualifiers that no one had ever heard of before. This would not have happened if everyone had not had a shot and was only based on world rankings. And the qualifiers never would have come out if there was no one to replace in the IPT. ;)

Qualifiers are fine, that is a good way to fill out a pro tour. Paper based applications were a silly way to fill out a pro tour. It was simply expedient.

Dave

DaveK

Silver Member
supergreenman said:
I would never give up a chance to find out how I stand against some of the worlds best. If it costs me a few bucks for travel and accomodations who cares.

So did you enter the big SML tournament in Calgary, a mere 2 hours drive to the south, in order to play with the big boys like Alex and Johnny ?

Dave

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
There were some players in the IPT - Reno tournament that I have heard so much about hiow good they are, never got to see them shoot in person, but failed to get to round 2 or 3 in the tournament. It readjusts your thinking a little.

That's a good point in general, but one tournament isn't necessarily a large enough sample size. Thorsten Hohmann was knocked out in the first round in Reno, and he even lost to Loree Jon Jones. He's still one of the best in the world despite that poor showing.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
DaveK said:
So did you enter the big SML tournament in Calgary, a mere 2 hours drive to the south, in order to play with the big boys like Alex and Johnny ?

Dave
I would have liked to but I found out about it too late.
P.S. it's 3.5 hours :p