Would You Want To Be These Guys???

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
its a 6 hour drive from saskatoon to calgary,the only reason that alex and archer come here is because they are looked after from sml and its easy money,lot of good talent come here which is nice,wish more would come though ,its great to see in my home town,really well put on.ive thoght about entering a couple of times knowing i would get killed but what a dream to play someone like that race to 11.it would be worth the 275.00 entry.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
DaveK said:
Just remember Cameron, to make this comparison meaningful you would have to play Mr. Federer in a tournament with lots of paying spectators in the stands. While it may be rewarding for you, it surely would be a waste of money for the fans, and you might hear about it during the match. Yes, I am making some assumtions about your tennis game ;)

On a similar note, there are quite a few PGA Tour golfers who dislike or refuse to play in Pro-Ams. Just food for thought.

Dave

I am aware, and you are completely right. But I was thinking from a strictly selfish "screw the fans, its my moment" point of view. Also I think it would still be entertaining though, I know I enjoy seeing blow outs from time to time. It's fun to see Federer be so completely dominant. He had 6-0 6-0 6-0 match last year and it was nothing less than awe inspiring.

P.S. However bad you are assuming my tennis game is, you are probably overestimating me :D. The last time I hit the court, I was 12. Since then I use to bat the ball around at home but never on the court. Strangely though Tennis is my second favorite sport along with golf, and I never miss a moment of a grand slam.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Gregg said:
This is actually a good question.

My take is this; Would you rather graduate at the top of your class from a local state school, or graduate with low grades from Yale?

I will also agree that getting smoked 0-32 really brings into question if you really belong at the tournament, nerves or whatever the case may be.

Graduating with low grades from Yale is next to impossible.

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
OK who cares if someone goes 0 - century after all the tournaments, they are still comming out with $$$ in the bank, and a experience that everyone else can only wish they had.

Hell I wish i had dropped the $$$ for the membership and whatnot, And if i came out 0-100 in my matches who cares! because i would be the one with 10,000$ in my bank and great stories of rubbing elbows with the great ones too.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ryan Keller is an APA 6? Well the APA should congratulate itself for what a fine job it has done shaping and molding it's players. Ryan was probably happy to not have won a single game. Maybe his APA rating will go down. :D :D :D :D

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
While I am a little envious of them I would rather not want to be in their shoes. Here is my reasoning.

OK say they get around 5000 for each tournament they place last in.
After expenses and taxes and such I would amke the same amount staying home and working for the week then I would flying out there for no reason at all.

Most of all I would have liked to be able to earn that position, not just have my name picked like in a raffle. I would want to have put my dues in and shot amoung the best for years like the majority of these players have. I would have wanted to already have that professional status when going in to it.

Dont get me wrong. I would jump at the chance to be able to shoot against a pro just to watch them first hand and see what they do and such, for this I am envious. But to play against them on their tour, I simply know I am not ready for that and I want to earn my way into their ranks rather then have it given to me.

Another reason is because of my employment. at my job I dont have enough vacation time to take 3 or 4 weeks out of the year to shoot in a pool tournament I know I will place last in. I need my job to sustain my life and that of my families. Plus even if I did get the time off work, I would like to use some of it to spend with my family. With all this said, if I was a professional pool player and need not work full time to sustain my life and family and I could love off my pool winnings, then absolutely, count me in. But with my job and family and current status as a B player, I know I am not right for the tour and I would not want to put my livlyhood in jeopardy to shoot on it.

Now maybe Ryan and Bernie's jobs are not interfered with. Maybe they do have the time off, good for them, but with all that said I still revert to my earlier arguement, that I could make the same amount they are bringing home from the tourny for that week without leaving my state.

Now maybe next year, if the 100k is still garunteed under the new ownership, than sure I would do it even if I was just picked rather then earning it because I know I would be able to sustain things... but chances are Bernie and Ryan arnt going to be shooting in it next year either and those who are still in it are the ones who earned it. :D

Last edited:

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
Graduating with low grades from Yale is next to impossible.

Like any graduate school, this is true. Just trying to create some type of analogy.

The problem I have with him being an APA SL6 and qualifying is that I would KNOW a bunch of other shooters who are far better than he is within my armature pool league.

Some of the SL7s in our league are a few balls ahead of the SL6, and would be no contest in a race to eight on a full size table.

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
While I am a little envious of them I would rather not want to be in their shoes. Here is my reasoning.

OK say they get around 5000 for each tournament they place last in.
After expenses and taxes and such I would amke the same amount staying home and working for the week then I would flying out there for no reason at all.

Most of all I would have liked to be able to earn that position, not just have my name picked like in a raffle. I would want to have put my dues in and shot amoung the best for years like the majority of these players have. I would have wanted to already have that professional status when going in to it.

Dont get me wrong. I would jump at the chance to be able to shoot against a pro just to watch them first hand and see what they do and such, for this I am envious. But to play against them on their tour, I simply know I am not ready for that and I want to earn my way into their ranks rather then have it given to me.

Another reason is because of my employment. at my job I dont have enough vacation time to take 3 or 4 weeks out of the year to shoot in a pool tournament I know I will place last in. I need my job to sustain my life and that of my families. Plus even if I did get the time off work, I would like to use some of it to spend with my family. With all this said, if I was a professional pool player and need not work full time to sustain my life and family and I could love off my pool winnings, then absolutely, count me in. But with my job and family and current status as a B player, I know I am not right for the tour and I would not want to put my livlyhood in jeopardy to shoot on it.

Now maybe Ryan and Bernie's jobs are not interfered with. Maybe they do have the time off, good for them, but with all that said I still revert to my earlier arguement, that I could make the same amount they are bringing home from the tourny for that week without leaving my state.

Now maybe next year, if the 100k is still garunteed under the new ownership, than sure I would do it even if I was just picked rather then earning it because I know I would be able to sustain things... but chances are Bernie and Ryan arnt going to be shooting in it next year either and those who are still in it are the ones who earned it. :D

Hi Heath,

Ryan is fully sponsored by his job and they are proud that he made it on the IPT. They pay for his flights, lodging and entry fees. And he realizes that he is one lucky dog!

The bar that he plays in regularly even covered his special table with IPT cloth.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
Hi Heath,

Ryan is fully sponsored by his job and they are proud that he made it on the IPT. They pay for his flights, lodging and entry fees. And he realizes that he is one lucky dog!

The bar that he plays in regularly even covered his special table with IPT cloth.
Well in that case, by all means. He has no good reason not to do it. :D Lucky dog.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
jimmy-leggs said:
its a 6 hour drive from saskatoon to calgary,

Yep, that's about right ... but of course the green one lives in Edmonton, so it's the drive from Edmonton to Calgary down highway 2 (Calgary Trail to the Deerfoot Trail) we were discussing.

Dave

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbara said:
You know, when I was a just a teen, every summer day that was okay, I'd play tennis with this boy. He just about always beat me 6-0, 6-1, and sometimes 6-2, but every game went to a tie breaker.

Sometimes the final score really doesn't explain the entire match.

Barbara
And that little boy whose ego you inflated grew up to be Pete Sampras . . . . :D

Last edited:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Linda Carter,

I don't mean to single you out however you post here and play on the tour, so you are fair game as far as I'm concerned.

You seem like a nice enough person, but your elitist attitiude is begining to show. You are not a world class player, not even close. You have no business fronting as such, and your tour card was not earned in the slightest. You barely have the skill to win a single match, you should not be playing on this tour.

I can see why Strickland is pissed off with you, people like you are lowering the prestige and standards of the IPT. You should also apologize to Earl for insulting him, he is worthy of the IPT, you are not.

That is all.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
hey smashmouth i have no idea where your coming from but earl has about as much class as a piece of $hit.he is a mouth piece that sharks people ,puts down players,errogant,prejudice loser,he should not be on the tour just for being an a$$hole.i have no idea the history between linda and earl but i for one think he has no class what so ever,waste of skin in my books.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
smashmouth said:
Linda Carter,

I don't mean to single you out however you post here and play on the tour, so you are fair game as far as I'm concerned.

You seem like a nice enough person, but your elitist attitiude is begining to show. You are not a world class player, not even close. You have no business fronting as such, and your tour card was not earned in the slightest. You barely have the skill to win a single match, you should not be playing on this tour.

I can see why Strickland is pissed off with you, people like you are lowering the prestige and standards of the IPT. You should also apologize to Earl for insulting him, he is worthy of the IPT, you are not.

That is all.
I dont see how Linda has shown an elitist attitude at all. If anything you are the one doing that now. Earl didn't talk down to anyone by saying they "dont belong on the tour". Earl was bashing women just by saying a woman will never beat him and stuff like that.

You need to think about what you type to people before you do it, Linda is one of the nicest and eager to help people here which is way more then what I could say for you.

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
smashmouth said:
Linda Carter,

That is all.

Hey, thanks for your opinion. You have not been here long enough to know when I posted how I got in and my playing skills. There aren't too many players on the IPT with a fulltime career as I have, so I never have trumpeted my skills as being in the upper echelon. OTH, look how the top women in the world are doing on the IPT that don't do anything else but play pool. :(

As to how I am sounding elitist, I would like to know how. I have never presented myself as a pro, even while being on the IPT and seek only to further the sport through my communications and actions. If I have betrayed that in your eyes, well...<shrug>

Could your response be simply jealousy?

08-13-2006, 05:18 PM
smashmouth
Registered User Join Date: Jan 2006

What kind of spot in nine ball would the top gambling pros give me?

I runout about 1 out of 20 racks.

As far as Earl, it looks like YOU are the one insulting him:

09-05-2006, 08:46 AM
smashmouth
Registered User Join Date: Jan 2006

He lacks class, agreed, but we all know that about Earl. I'm surprised after all these years he can still get under people's skin.

Also surprised he has not gotten the &^%^ kicked out of him at least a few times.

I've played in rooms where even when you lose you better act humble or you're asking for it and heaven forbid you act the clown when you win.

I doubt he ever acted that way when he played in money matches in foreign rooms.

FWIW, before this incident I never insulted him. That was the whole point...he had the wrong person!!!! Maybe you ought to go back and read the whole thread!

Last edited:

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smashmouth said:
Linda Carter,

You seem like a nice enough person, but your elitist attitiude is beginning to show. You are not a world class player, not even close. You have no business fronting as such, and your tour card was not earned in the slightest. You barely have the skill to win a single match, you should not be playing on this tour.

That is all.

I've never met Linda Carter, but from the many posts I've read here from her, I've seen nothing in any way I would consider elitist, or condescending in any way. Nor has she gone as far as to toot her own horn.

On a personal level, what I have seen is way too many "bash the pro" threads from people most would consider morons on many levels.

What's so moronic about these people is that they have no idea how fragile our valued recourses are, including Linda Carter who can give us a first person account of high level tournaments and play, and are willing to share.

I have seen too many times where some guy with an agenda that extends no farther than to get a rise out out of a high level shooter ruins a forum or channel for us to learn, grow, and expand our games from so that we can enjoy a more fulfilling, enjoyable brand of pool four us.

Even if it happens to be on league night or in a basement somewhere.

That is all (you friggin' wingnut).

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
jimmy-leggs said:
hey smashmouth i have no idea where your coming from but earl has about as much class as a piece of $hit.he is a mouth piece that sharks people ,puts down players,errogant,prejudice loser,he should not be on the tour just for being an a$$hole.i have no idea the history between linda and earl but i for one think he has no class what so ever,waste of skin in my books.

I don't think I can add a thing to this, but simply replying with the quote is rewarding.

Dave, feels better now :)