WPA 10 ball?

TrxR

Now in 10 ball you are supposed to shoot the lowest ball on the table first like 9 ball correct?

Can i call the 10 ball early by calling the 1 onto the 10? If so is that a win ?

When reading the rules about the 10 ball i got confused as it sounded like i could call and pocket the 10 ball at any time and if its not the last ball on the table it would be spotted and i keep shooting, so it can be used to get position on the lowest ball?

Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any early 10 ball spots. It has to be the last ball pocketed under WSR/WPA rules. If you make your called ball legally, you continue at the table.

TrxR

Can you call and pocket the 10 ball at any time to get a better position on the lowest numbered ball on the table? For example you cant get to the 2 ball from current position but could pocket the 10 to get position?

If say the 1 is still on the table and you called and shot the 2 is that a foul?

TrxR

Im really confused now. I was just watching some of the Las Vegas open matches and they were giving the win to the 10 on break as well as early on a called combo.

I thought they used WPA rules?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's as it should be. Ten ball last is a ridiculous rule, and one has to wonder why it was mandated, let alone permitted, by WPA.
I've been told that the intent was to remove as much luck as possible. I think the ten ball last rule contributes to that. Whether it is a good idea is a separate issue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im really confused now. I was just watching some of the Las Vegas open matches and they were giving the win to the 10 on break as well as early on a called combo.

I thought they used WPA rules?
10b last sucks imo. A legal carom/combo on the 10b should win the game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've been told that the intent was to remove as much luck as possible. I think the ten ball last rule contributes to that. Whether it is a good idea is a separate issue.
It also litigates some skill out of the game and further disenfranchises a fan base that already finds ten-ball confusing. Caroms and combos on the money ball, which can often be played as two-way shots, are among the most majestic shots in the game and often require great skill and superior billiard knowledge.

The same logic that seems to have been applied to mandating ten-ball last can just as easily be used to either a) disallow all combos and caroms, or b) require than any ball comboed in or caromed in must be spotted. This way, all the balls would have to be made in order, which is no sillier than ten ball last.

I prefer nine-ball to ten-ball anyway, but this is just one more reason to do so. Thankfully for the game's fans, Matchroom, our sport's premier event producer, won't touch ten-ball with a ten-foot pole.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, we're shooting one round ball at other round balls. There will ALWAYS be some degree of luck involved. Why all the attempts to totally sterilize the game? What's wrong with a called carom/combo to win?