WTB good cue for under $400

kralaction87

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just joined a pool league with the APA with my dad and need to find a nice, solid cue that won't cost an arm and a leg to buy. I'm not really into the pj's and sneakys and like the points (preferably with veneers, but I'm not horribly picky) and love the combo of Tiger Stripe and Coco. Again not really that picky, but I can't find anything that's that great brand new, so I figured I'd try my hand at buying a used cue as my first real cue instead of using the Minnesota Fats my dad had lying around. Anyone have anything they can dish out for under $400 shipped that looks nice and is a pretty solid cue I can keep for a long while?

Kind of new at the whole game, but want to get something to move right along with me as I get better and more used to everything.

Thanks guys!

kralaction87

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty nice and I've seen good things about them. Strongly considering one of those, but I also want to see what was out there. Saw the Meucci/McDermott combo for $375, but everyone on here seems to shy away from the Meucci's and that caused a bit of concern to me. Figure I'll be picking one of these up by the end of this week if I find one that I'm positive is for me.

Great cues and they both look really nice.

Q-Street

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99%
95   1   0
Helmstetter Cue

I have a helmstetter 97-9 which I think is from the 90's.
18.5 oz, weight bolt can be adjusted.
Shaft is just over 13mm, 5/16x18 stainless steel joint, everything rolls straight
Great condition hasn't been played much, but does have a few surface scratches. Original sticker still on the cue.
3 day refund if not happy with it, just pay return shipping

$175 shipped.

helmstetter1.jpg

helmstetter2.jpg

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
They look pretty nice and I've seen good things about them. Strongly considering one of those, but I also want to see what was out there. Saw the Meucci/McDermott combo for $375, but everyone on here seems to shy away from the Meucci's and that caused a bit of concern to me. Figure I'll be picking one of these up by the end of this week if I find one that I'm positive is for me.

Great cues and they both look really nice.

IMO buy a custom cue. There are some great deals right now.

kralaction87

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO buy a custom cue. There are some great deals right now.

I looked into getting a custom from Jacoby, but their price to just custom build one is $450 and I was given a strict budget of $400. That's why I came on here. I prefer a custom over something off the rack, but they seem to be a bit out of the price range for me at this point.

I have one for you
custom cue with ivory inlays and a g-10 pin
Chris

Any pics you can post up or pm me? Who was the cue maker for that cue? Specs, etc.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
I prefer a custom over something off the rack, but they seem to be a bit out of the price range for me at this point.

You will find a good custom in your price range on here. It is a great time to buy and cue, and this is one of the best places to look.

You have had some nice offers already, and will be getting more I am sure.

Cigar Mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Custom Jacoby

Here is a Jacoby you might be interested in. $400 plus shipping.

Attachments

• DSCN3020.jpg
    DSCN3020.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSCN3021.jpg
    DSCN3021.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,229
  • DSCN3022.jpg
    DSCN3022.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • DSCN3024.jpg
    DSCN3024.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,280

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
Since you mentioned Jacoby, here are two I have for sale, and are right around your budget. The last cue is a Pechauer. All three of these cues retail for around $800-$900. Both Jacoby and Pechauer are not strictly custom cues, but they do some custom work, and are both respected company's.

000_5396.jpg

000_5398.jpg

000_5397.jpg

000_5400.jpg

000_5401.jpg

000_5402.jpg

pechauer2-2.jpg

pechauer-1.jpg

000_6266.jpg

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
276   0   1

kralaction87

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you mentioned Jacoby, here are two I have for sale, and are right around your budget. The last cue is a Pechauer. All three of these cues retail for around $800-$900.

pechauer2-2.jpg

pechauer-1.jpg

000_6266.jpg

That Pechauer is a good looking cue. Was that a ding in the last pic? Jw. Also what is "around my budget after ship? Good looking cue and I know Pechauer is a good cue, but never shot one. How's the feel? More stiff, better feel, etc?

I'll second that one. The Allen Green Cue is an incredible value and it's a Custom. I have one of these and the work is very good. Buy this one for $325 and have some left for a nice case.

That's what I'm hearing about Allen Green. I've never heard of his cues before today, so I'm not familiar with the story or the feel of the cue. I know the Meucci isn't for me having played it once and I didn't care much for the flex shaft, but, forgive me if it makes me sound stupid, but what makes an Allen Green or Varney have such a great rep? I don't know how these cues play or know of anyone with one that I can try so I have to go off opinion from you guys.

kralaction87

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I can see that's a curly forearm, but what were the inlays and rings? rings look like they could either be coco or maybe a different type of rosewood and I can't tell if the inlay is just like an ivorine or something like that or what exactly it is...very nice looker though. Closer to what I was hoping I'd find on here.

Matt

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
That Pechauer is a good looking cue. Was that a ding in the last pic? Jw. Also what is "around my budget after ship? Good looking cue and I know Pechauer is a good cue, but never shot one. How's the feel? More stiff, better feel, etc?

That was a ding in the last pic. Besides that, the cue is in very good condition. It is a model PL01. The retail on this cue is $920. I was asking a little more, but I will take $400 plus shipping.

To me, the cue has a softer hit for a cue will a metal joint.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
219   0   0
Also, I can see that's a curly forearm, but what were the inlays and rings? rings look like they could either be coco or maybe a different type of rosewood and I can't tell if the inlay is just like an ivorine or something like that or what exactly it is...very nice looker though. Closer to what I was hoping I'd find on here.

Matt

Yes, it is coco under the rings. I also believe that the inlays are ivorine.

Here is a link to the PL01 in different colors.
http://www.exoticcues.com/pechauer/pechauer_pool_cue_pl01.htm