WTF moment

cribbeecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
compression bumper

A few years ago I also was going to wrap a cue and came across a similar bumper. No markings on the cue but I know for sure this one was not a Schuler. The CM had taken a
T-Nut with 8/32 hex screw about 3/4 inches long and had used washers sandwiched between rubber O-rings. As you tightened the hex the rubber O-rings expanded to snug
into the cavity of the butt. Darn thing weighed an oz. Didn't take a pic but sure remembered
how he did it. I will certainly use the technique on future repairs if needed. Thought this
method was pretty creative even though the cue was wt heavy at the butt.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Dan,

Ray used the washers to offset his cue weights to a gram scale, which is how he measured his cues. The weight set up you show was one of his early units.

Ray was an engineer and the European 3 C players required exacting weight specs that those customers demanded.

For Example, Raymond Cuelemens required a 100 gram shaft and a 400 gram butt. The 100 gram shaft needed to be selected but this weight bolt system allowed Schuler to put the butt right on the money with the small metal washers.

The weight bolt set up you are shown is very basic as some have a more complicated config with the metal washers, nylon and rubber parts. This cue was made between 1978 to about 1983. The weight bolt components became more intricate after that time as it evolved to satisfy the Billiards players.

Ray might not have been a genius in the real numbers sense but he was one of the smartest cue makers IMHO. His number one goal from the beginning was to make the best playing cue he could. He learned how to make cues from Herman Rambo and advanced his skills his own way. His joint is pure magic. He is in the HOF because of his talent and engineering skills.

Rick

Last edited:

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
It's original equipment. All 4 of my Schulers have that set up, though they use steel and nylon washers instead of brass weights. My oldest was made in the early 90s and is the same model as that shown, though mine is a B variant instead of the A in the photo.