You Mad Bro? I'll Take That As A Yes.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got asked to call in a favour last night by a buddy and play for his 8 ball team, with the promise of free beer and a few laughs I agreed. His team is just a 'play for fun' team and none of us really cared for the win, and seeing as they were in the lowest division in the area, I assumed the other team wouldn't care much either. I couldn't have been more wrong. If a guy turns up in black pants, shiny black shoes, a nice shirt and a silk waistcoat you know he means business. I wish someone told me we were playing in the UK. Snooker Championships.

Ok so its a 5 man UK 8 ball team. 5 single matches best of 3 frames and 2 doubles matches best of 3 also. When it comes to my singles match the first frame I'm on the verge of a break and run and I shank the 8 and miss by a mile. The guy comes to the table (and the league rules mean you don't have to contact a rail, so you can just role up for a snooker)...so that's what he does, over and over until he gets 2 shots, then he clears the table. So I knew this game meant a lot to him, after all he was wearing a silk waistcoat. Next frame my aim was to get 2 shots, no matter what. When I eventually get 2 he has 1 ball plus the 8 left. I have 7. I set about surrounding the 8 with 6 of my balls, it took around 20 shots to do it but I did it - the black surrounded in a near perfect circle of yellow balls. I leave him a shot on his last ball and just rolls it in...doesn't attempt to break the black out. He ends up hammering my perfect circular barrier and the black flies in the side pocket giving me the frame. He starts shouting and swearing refuses to play another frame and won't shake anyones hand. In the end I'm like f**k it, you can have the last frame for the 2-1 win. I get a torrent of abuse from him saying its poor etiquette...I agree it was a little. In the end he got the win so why go crazy over it?

So yeah I just wanted to share and ask if you guys wouldve A - been as pissed and B - ever wear full snooker attire to a division 11 pub pool match? Haha

Cheers.
 
I always thought that dressing up for league was a good thing, especially if you on the hunt for a low skill level MILF.
So it's not just The Thaiger, everyone in England is a buzzkill.
Would you Brits please just try to have some good ole fashion All American fun once and a while.
I understand that there are issues with the food in England, snooker is boring unless you are watching a 147 in less than 5-minutes :) British humor is typically not funny, and honestly, I would go around mad all the time as well if I couldn't get a cold beer, and I drink bourbon.
 
So you were upset at his choice of clothing and it was proper and not offensive in any way??

You got upset that he played within the rules by hiding cue ball without getting rail?


To answer your questions
A -- I would not have been upset at all. He didn't cheat and was competing within the rules

B- I could care less as long as he doesn't have body parts falling out or the clothing isn't offensive

He apparently is a bit of a poor sport by getting mad at you but YES I would have been as well.

By the way.. if you have ever played american bar 8 ball can you compare it to your game. Like how well or not well you like it etc. I know the tables and balls are different. I was wondering how the differences were in playing enjoyment.
 
I've always wanted to play in an event that had a strict dress code, bow tie, vest, slacks, button sleeves, the works, but on league night? If I lost I'd feel so stupid, hell, even winning dressed like that in a bar (unless I was there to do a singing telegram) I feel pretty stupid. To me that would mean I lost a bet or something like that. Perhaps he over-reacted, just a scoshe. Depending on my mood, sometimes it would be fun to get under his over dressed skin, but other times people like that would just suck all the fun out of it for me. Poor etiquette to give up the last frame? How about poor etiquette for acting like an ass
 
So you were upset at his choice of clothing and it was proper and not offensive in any way??

You got upset that he played within the rules by hiding cue ball without getting rail?


To answer your questions
A -- I would not have been upset at all. He didn't cheat and was competing within the rules

B- I could care less as long as he doesn't have body parts falling out or the clothing isn't offensive

He apparently is a bit of a poor sport by getting mad at you but YES I would have been as well.

By the way.. if you have ever played american bar 8 ball can you compare it to your game. Like how well or not well you like it etc. I know the tables and balls are different. I was wondering how the differences were in playing enjoyment.
To answer your last paragraph...UK 8 ball is somewhat of a joke IMO. Playing with a CB 1 7/8 when the object balls are 2" isn't fun. It depends on the rules you play as to whether or not one will find it enjoyable. I prefer ball in hand compared to 2 shots behind the balk line, and I prefer the pocket size in American 8 ball. Pockets in UK pool are harsh, to say the least, mostly due to the curvature of the jaws..I much prefer a pointed jaw. Its something I play for precision, there is a lot of slow rolling and I much prefer playing shots firm and not having them rattle the pocket 50 times. So yeah, hopefully this answered what you were after...American 8 ball 1, UK pool 0.
 
Why the hell did you concede a game???
I wanted to watch the rugby and have a beer. The game where I covered the black lasted too long and none of our team could be bothered.

Beer first pool second!
 
I think you should have called in the SAS and then they would know what its like to really get their sorry butts booted.
 
To answer your last paragraph...UK 8 ball is somewhat of a joke IMO. Playing with a CB 1 7/8 when the object balls are 2" isn't fun. It depends on the rules you play as to whether or not one will find it enjoyable. I prefer ball in hand compared to 2 shots behind the balk line, and I prefer the pocket size in American 8 ball. Pockets in UK pool are harsh, to say the least, mostly due to the curvature of the jaws..I much prefer a pointed jaw. Its something I play for precision, there is a lot of slow rolling and I much prefer playing shots firm and not having them rattle the pocket 50 times. So yeah, hopefully this answered what you were after...American 8 ball 1, UK pool 0.

Ty very much Your answer was what I was looking for.

Here we run into oversized cueballs which IMO is no fun either.
 
Back
Top