Young-you giving Now-you weight?

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 out of 10 goes to the young me. I was playing in tournaments 3 nights a week and you couldn't pay me to play a safety. A little different thinking these days. I wish I had my eyes of 30 years ago and my brain today.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
7 out of 10 goes to the young me. I was playing in tournaments 3 nights a week and you couldn't pay me to play a safety. A little different thinking these days. I wish I had my eyes of 30 years ago and my brain today.

Amen, D... amen.

Nobody played safeties back then... if they tried, they stood the chance of becoming Fast Eddie, part II.

"There's your money, boy..."

"We got no use for safety-players around here, boy..."

:grin-square: :grin: :grin-square:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My 38 year old self today could spot my 17 year old self the 7 ball, 2 games to 11, or 20 points to 100 in straight pool.

At 17 I played pretty strong. I ran 83 in straight pool. I played several sessions of 9 ball where I didn't miss a ball for hours (once the entire evening). I had a 5 rack run in 9 ball.

My strengths back then were two fold. First, I had a tremendous fire in the belly. I still believed I could be a world champion one day. Every shot I took was a step towards something I wanted more than I can describe. Secondly, I was hitting so many balls I felt like I knew the shots forwards and backwards. I'm talking 10 hours a day for 5 years, without missing a day for a holiday. I didn't have on days and off days. I just always played very steadily at a pretty strong level.

What was lacking were the tools to make my game explosive: Higher levels of offense, and confidence that comes from experience. See, back in the day I didn't take many chances. I was playing weaker competition. I might not take on a routine bank shot in favor of playing a safety. My goal was to never miss, to make the guy earn every opportunity. But while that worked against players that would miss the ensuing kick shot and it would look great when I ran out with ball in hand, against better players they'd steal too many of those games. My 'perfect play' was only perfect because my competition didn't have the skills to fight back. Playing against guys with a good break that put multiple racks together frequently, that jumped and kicked out of my safeties, and that played with aggression and confidence would have been too much for me. I wouldn't have had the game or belief to finish them off.

Besides, I was playing on 4.75 inch pockets. I was a monster on my home tables, but on tougher equipment on someone else's home court I never played at quite the same level.

Today I have added to my break, I have logged many hours on tight diamond tables and my striking accuracy has improved, my pattern play and cue ball are high level, and I can use these tools to get through many run outs that would've stopped me before. My desire isn't quite what it was, but my focus is pretty strong and when there's something on the line I can still zone out pretty well. And I have enough experience to have confidence in what I'm doing so as I go through the ebbs and flows of a battle I have seen it before and know what I need to do.

In all, I have a lot of respect for my 17 year old self and wouldn't take him lightly at all. I'd be a bit nervous about the match up knowing I was playing a kid that believed he'd be a world champion and might not make an unforced error for hours at a time. But overall the skill gap is decisive and I believe I'd get the job done even giving up 2 games or the 7 ball.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My 38 year old self today could spot my 17 year old self the 7 ball, 2 games to 11, or 20 points to 100 in straight pool.

At 17 I played pretty strong. I ran 83 in straight pool. I played several sessions of 9 ball where I didn't miss a ball for hours (once the entire evening). I had a 5 rack run in 9 ball.

My strengths back then were two fold. First, I had a tremendous fire in the belly. I still believed I could be a world champion one day. Every shot I took was a step towards something I wanted more than I can describe. Secondly, I was hitting so many balls I felt like I knew the shots forwards and backwards. I'm talking 10 hours a day for 5 years, without missing a day for a holiday. I didn't have on days and off days. I just always played very steadily at a pretty strong level.

What was lacking were the tools to make my game explosive: Higher levels of offense, and confidence that comes from experience. See, back in the day I didn't take many chances. I was playing weaker competition. I might not take on a routine bank shot in favor of playing a safety. My goal was to never miss, to make the guy earn every opportunity. But while that worked against players that would miss the ensuing kick shot and it would look great when I ran out with ball in hand, against better players they'd steal too many of those games. My 'perfect play' was only perfect because my competition didn't have the skills to fight back. Playing against guys with a good break that put multiple racks together frequently, that jumped and kicked out of my safeties, and that played with aggression and confidence would have been too much for me. I wouldn't have had the game or belief to finish them off.

Besides, I was playing on 4.75 inch pockets. I was a monster on my home tables, but on tougher equipment on someone else's home court I never played at quite the same level.

Today I have added to my break, I have logged many hours on tight diamond tables and my striking accuracy has improved, my pattern play and cue ball are high level, and I can use these tools to get through many run outs that would've stopped me before. My desire isn't quite what it was, but my focus is pretty strong and when there's something on the line I can still zone out pretty well. And I have enough experience to have confidence in what I'm doing so as I go through the ebbs and flows of a battle I have seen it before and know what I need to do.

In all, I have a lot of respect for my 17 year old self and wouldn't take him lightly at all. I'd be a bit nervous about the match up knowing I was playing a kid that believed he'd be a world champion and might not make an unforced error for hours at a time. But overall the skill gap is decisive and I believe I'd get the job done even giving up 2 games or the 7 ball.

These are your peak years... enjoy them. When you get to my age, you'll look back 25 years and say, Damn... I played really really well when I was 38. :wink:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rake, very impressive personal bests. I'm curious as to your age when you achieved each of those personal bests, if you wouldn't mind sharing? - Thanks

Thanks,

The straight pool was in early twenties. I had been playing a couple years at that point.

The in game 9 ball happened at a pool hall called "Sweetwater billiards" (closed years ago). I was mid twenties.

The in game 10 ball was a little later. Cannot remember exactly the year but I think I was 30 ish (right when I had stopped playing pool due to work/family....etc.etc.

The ghost races happened last week.

Rake

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I was 18 or 19 I thought/dreamed that I would someday be a pro player. I was winning every bar tournament in and around my little home town. But going to college and playing guitar in a metal band, and eventually getting married, settling down and having kids....well, I never fulfilled that dream of becoming a pro player. I never became a rock star either.:frown:

But I never quit playing pool, always finding some place to play at least once a week throughout my life. I'm 50 now and beginning to play more often these days. I could easily spot my 19yr-old cocky self a couple of balls. Back then I thought I was invincible, no limitations, but now I know better, and because of this I play better.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
When I was 18 or 19 I thought/dreamed that I would someday be a pro player. I was winning every bar tournament in and around my little home town. But going to college and playing guitar in a metal band, and eventually getting married, settling down and having kids....well, I never fulfilled that dream of becoming a pro player. I never became a rock star either.:frown:

But I never quit playing pool, always finding some place to play at least once a week throughout my life. I'm 50 now and beginning to play more often these days. I could easily spot my 19yr-old cocky self a couple of balls. Back then I thought I was invincible, no limitations, but now I know better, and because of this I play better.

19 wouldn't have annihilated me now as badly as 25 would have. I might have a chance with me at 50 but probably not a whole hellova lot.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Hard for me to tell, actually. I am much smarter than I was at that age, yes.. And I shot stronger then than I do now, yes...

All that being said... When I was in Colorado playing big regional AA/AAA division 8 ball events, I was running 3 and 4 racks from the break, alternate breaks in matches against strong players, and that's certainly not something I was capable of doing under pressure at 20...

Also, I never ran 14 balls in One Pocket at 20, either.

Short Bus Russ

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Hard for me to tell, actually. I am much smarter than I was at that age, yes.. And I shot stronger then than I do now, yes...

All that being said... When I was in Colorado playing big regional AA/AAA division 8 ball events, I was running 3 and 4 racks from the break, alternate breaks in matches against strong players, and that's certainly not something I was capable of doing under pressure at 20...

Also, I never ran 14 balls in One Pocket at 20, either.

Short Bus Russ

!!!!!! Ummmm... yeah. I'll take16 to 5 and the breaks, at 2 to 1 on the $$$. Hold the mayo, some grated Parmesan on the side, please. And water...

And you shoot 2 and stop.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
!!!!!! Ummmm... yeah. I'll take16 to 5 and the breaks, at 2 to 1 on the $$$. Hold the mayo, some grated Parmesan on the side, please. And water...

And you shoot 2 and stop.

Lol... It was just practice, and I was having a good day.. Oh.. And you should ask for summin you can win with.. :)

The best I have done live against top competition is "almost".

A few years back, the year he won the Banks, I had John Morra Down 2-1 in the One Pocket, and when SVB perked up and came over to watch, I let it slip away with no huge mistakes.

This January at DCC, I got to play Scott Frost in the One Pocket and had him down 5-0, 6-0 in consecutive games, but let him get away in both due to failing to execute a fairly standard, albeit a little touchy, position shot. This one could be written off as pure lack of practice, combined with some bad life juju going on in the 5 months leading up to DCC.

I think I'm going back again this year, much better prepared..

Short Bus Russ

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Lol... It was just practice, and I was having a good day.. Oh.. And you should ask for summin you can win with.. :)

The best I have done live against top competition is "almost".

A few years back, the year he won the Banks, I had John Morra Down 2-1 in the One Pocket, and when SVB perked up and came over to watch, I let it slip away with no huge mistakes.

This January at DCC, I got to play Scott Frost in the One Pocket and had him down 5-0, 6-0 in consecutive games, but let him get away in both due to failing to execute a fairly standard, albeit a little touchy, position shot. This one could be written off as pure lack of practice, combined with some bad life juju going on in the 5 months leading up to DCC.

I think I'm going back again this year, much better prepared..

Short Bus Russ

Yeah, I read @ the 5-0, 6-0 in another of your posts. Tough breaks... makes for great experience, however.

I was just bein' a blowhard. I can't even SPELL 1 hole! :grin:

That said, I *WILL* take the last 5, the first 4 shots, all the breaks, 3 to 1 on the cheese and 4 games on the wire in a race to six in 9 ball!

And you shoot 2 and stop, naturally. :yeah:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the last 5, the first 4 shots, all the breaks, 3 to 1 on the cheese and 4 games on the wire in a race to six in 9 ball!

Can you say that 10 times real fast? Sounds like a tongue twister.....lol.

All joking aside, that sounds like most of the players in my area. They either want to know they win before the game even starts or not play at all.

And then use air-barrels on top of that:mad:

Rake

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Can you say that 10 times real fast? Sounds like a tongue twister.....lol.

All joking aside, that sounds like most of the players in my area. They either want to know they win before the game even starts or not play at all.

And then use air-barrels on top of that:mad:

Rake

Right? Preach it, Rev! Tell it on the mountain!!!

Nits? What nits??? :eek:

I posted this in regard to one of Jay's posts about having to have some kinda curve working to get a game these days:

You: You got the last 5, the breaks and the first 3 shots for 20 a pop. And I play opposite hand.

Nit: Bet it up!

( You win 2 games. )

Nit: Adjust!

You: You got the last 5, the breaks and the first 4 shots, plus, I break both my big toes with a ball peen hammer, then put on shoes 3 sizes too small. And I play opposite hand.

( You win one more game. )

Nit: ADUST!!!

You: You got the last 6, the breaks and the first 5 shots, I play 1 shot and stop, plus I get a full frontal lobotomy. But you gotta bet 30. And I play opposite hand.

Nit: ADJUST!!!

:grin-square: :grin: :grin-square: :grin: :grin-square:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I posted this in regard to one of Jay's posts about having to have some kinda curve working to get a game these days:

You: You got the last 5, the breaks and the first 3 shots for 20 a pop. And I play opposite hand.

( You win 2 games. )

You: You got the last 5, the breaks and the first 4 shots, plus, I break both my big toes with a ball peen hammer, then put on shoes 3 sizes too small. And I play opposite hand.

You: You got the last 6, the breaks and the first 5 shots, I play 1 shot and stop, plus I get a full frontal lobotomy. But you gotta bet 30. And I play opposite hand.

I knew what your post was in reference to. I just thought it was funny and deserved a reference of it's own.

I was not saying you are like that in any form or fashion.

It's just that someone ask me for something similar this week.

Anyways, he is a BCA 8, what ever that is (thats what the tournament director told me).

Remember, I'm not a league player and no very little about how they work. The BCA 8 comes up to me and ask if I want to play a cheap set. I ask him how cheap.............he said "it depends on what you spot me".

First off, I did not know him, never saw him before till that night and put him out of a tournament 5 to 2.

I won the flip and put a four pack together, then he put a 2 pack together and then lost. You would have thought I just broke a world record or something by the way he acted.

He ended up asking for the wild 7, last 3, 2 on the wire, alternate break in a race to 7....9 ball with magic rack and break in box for me but not for him.

All because I put a four pack together. And all for a whopping race to 7 for $50.

He said he would play me till he went broke. I guess so.

Anyways, it just hit home with me when you posted that. That's all.

I do not mind gambling but if I was gonna just donate I would much rather donate to someone that could actually teach me something...........efren, svb, dennis, alex....etc

Rake

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I knew what your post was in reference to. I just thought it was funny and deserved a reference of it's own.

I was not saying you are like that in any form or fashion.

It's just that someone ask me for something similar this week.

Anyways, he is a BCA 8, what ever that is (thats what the tournament director told me).

Remember, I'm not a league player and no very little about how they work. The BCA 8 comes up to me and ask if I want to play a cheap set. I ask him how cheap.............he said "it depends on what you spot me".

First off, I did not know him, never saw him before till that night and put him out of a tournament 5 to 2.

I won the flip and put a four pack together, then he put a 2 pack together and then lost. You would have thought I just broke a world record or something by the way he acted.

He ended up asking for the wild 7, last 3, 2 on the wire, alternate break in a race to 7....9 ball with magic rack and break in box for me but not for him.

All because I put a four pack together. And all for a whopping race to 7 for $50.

He said he would play me till he went broke. I guess so.

Anyways, it just hit home with me when you posted that. That's all.

I do not mind gambling but if I was gonna just donate I would much rather donate to someone that could actually teach me something...........efren, svb, dennis, alex....etc

Rake

When you said this: "They either want to know they win before the game even starts or not play at all."

Rake - Oh HELL no, I didn't think you were referring to me at all! The reason I posted that was to show you I know exactly what you're talking about when it comes to dealing with locksmiths and nits! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My mentor told me that a player is at his best mid-30s to mid-40s....
...I found this to be true...physical capability is still there....the wisdom to use it is :boring2:greater.
Like many players, I didn’t make as many great shots when I was more mature....
...but now I suspect I still could’ve....I just had better selections.

In the meantime, I’m reading about a lot of nits in this thread needing massive weight....
...what the hell is wrong with you guys?....get up,and gamble.

....I’m thinking of going back on the road, now that I’m older.....
...and I’m playing everybody straight up, no spots.
Mind you, a buddy of mine is coming with me, he used to be a paramedic....
....if he spots a player with absolutely no sign of life....I’ll play him....
....and open the line on the side.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My mentor told me that a player is at his best mid-30s to mid-40s....
...I found this to be true...physical capability is still there....the wisdom to use it is :boring2:greater.
Like many players, I didn’t make as many great shots when I was more mature....
...but now I suspect I still could’ve....I just had better selections.

In the meantime, I’m reading about a lot of nits in this thread needing massive weight....
...what the hell is wrong with you guys?....get up,and gamble.

....I’m thinking of going back on the road, now that I’m older.....
...and I’m playing everybody straight up, no spots.
Mind you, a buddy of mine is coming with me, he used to be a paramedic....
....if he spots a player with absolutely no sign of life....I’ll play him....
....and open the line on the side.

:rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

( You win 2 games. )

You have just described almost all attempts at action these days. Here in Tulsa there used to be a lot of play(pre casino days) but now its de-evolved into a land of spineless nut-hunters. You mention "play even" and you'll get a look like you've sprouted a third eyeball.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
You have just described almost all attempts at action these days. Here in Tulsa their used to be a lot of play(pre casino days) but now its de-evolved into a land of spineless nut-hunters. You mention "play even" and you'll get a look like you've sprouted a third eyeball.

And, if you ever *DO* get someone to play even and they book a loser? They SUE you!

It just ain't like it used to be...