Well, I have been to quite a few 'halls' in the past 25 years. So I am probably biased (no I am) about an "old school hall" (and now long closed) in Phoenix, AZ called The GOLDEN EIGHT BALL in early late 1980s-1990s. I'm talking about the hall on Indian School Road, across from the Wendy's.
Smoke-filled, tons of bar tables, and 9-footers—even had a 12-foot snooker table. Large raised bar, arcade games, full snack shop, and tons of hot women. This place was packed with both pool and non-pool players on the weekends. Tournaments every week. Action galore. Road players would often stop by, e.g. The Earthquake, The Hatchet Man, C.J., just to name a few of the dozens I saw when I was in there.
The reason why I LOVED this place was because there was one 9-footer in a sunken area called 'The Pit.' It was THE table to play on at "The EIGHT BALL." Beautiful table, straight and fast as lightning. If you were seen playing "down there" in 'The Pit" either you were in the finals of a tourney or you had some serious action.
I was once saw Ronnie Allen and "Beanie Weanie" (on separate occasions) gamble some one pocket. Man, I'm telling you, I saw some awesome moves. I learned a lot.
So, yes, I am from Phoenix and for those of you in the know you would have to say this was one HELL of a room. Although I don't miss the thick smoke (you could cut it with your hands), I sure do miss playing in 'The Pit.'
Sounds like an awesome room. Sorry I missed it.
Lou Figueroa