Your opinion on preparing for the big shot...

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question for all those out there is how can you prepare for that pressure ball in the practice room? I recently was playing in a big match, hill/hill, it came down to the last ball for the win. I got a little out of line on the shot, but a makeable match ball and missed due to the pressure. What do you like to do for a drill or routine to prepare? I know that being in that situation as often as possible by getting in competition is the best way to get ready for the “big shot”, but competition is very limited where I live. So I practice hard, daily, to be prepared as possible for when I go to tournaments or money matches.
My routine includes shot making drills, ghost matches, and lots of straight pool where the break ball is my pressure ball. In the past I used to do a daily 10 shot drill (A.K.A. Kinister’s shot makers drill) where I set up a med/hard shot and attempt to pocket it ten times on a row and that tenth ball became my pressure ball. However, I took some lessons from CJ Wiley and he told me that would drive me crazy and that to make the shot once is enough and to move on.
What do you think? What would you do in the practice room to prepare for the “big shot” I light of limited competition?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think a solid pre-shot routine (PSR) can help you here. It makes the pressure shot as much like other shots as possible -- with all the same physical moves leading up to it -- so that the shot becomes just another shot. No special hemming and hawing, just get up and shoot the shot like all the others.

Another point that was mentioned in another thread recently is that you need to plan where you're going to send the cue ball, just like on all the other shots. At nine ball I usually try to freeze the cue ball in the middle of the end rail if convenient. Or stop it dead. Or pull it back a foot. Or anything specific.

If the 10 shots in a row that you were doing works for you, continue doing it, but be sure to try the PSR practice with it.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
There really should not be a pressure ball. If you gain enough confidence there will be less of them but...

they will pop up for whatever reasons.

When I feel that "I" have placed any pressure on myself, I stop & start taking some deep slowly released breaths while telling myself that I've done this thousands of times before & that there is no reason that I can not or will not do it again. I will not shoot the shot until I feel my body return to a normal relaxed state & then I just shoot the shot.

I really do not think you can duplicate any real kind of pressure in practice...

But if you want to try, set up a game ball shot & if you miss give the bartender a 100 dollar bill, or a 20 dollar bill. Plan on doing it for the 10 shots. Or if it's some one you trust, give them all of the money & you only get paid back when you make a shot.

Good Luck with getting rid of the Boga Boo.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think its just a matter of experience which I am very short on, just started shooting about 5 years ago. The first couple of years my hands would get shaky just from Adrenalin even during a league match, same thing in tournaments. Eventually that went away in league and finally it rarely affects me in tournaments but I had to be in either a tournament or a team league setting where I didnt want to let team mates down to get used to it and overcome this. The downside side is I think the Adrenalin flowing made me a better competitor than I am now when I can stay calm and relaxed for an entire tournament. Unfortunately I think you will need to be in those situations enough times for that to finally clear up.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I think its just a matter of experience which I am very short on, just started shooting about 5 years ago. The first couple of years my hands would get shaky just from Adrenalin even during a league match, same thing in tournaments. Eventually that went away in league and finally it rarely affects me in tournaments but I had to be in either a tournament or a team league setting where I didnt want to let team mates down to get used to it and overcome this. The downside side is I think the Adrenalin flowing made me a better competitor than I am now when I can stay calm and relaxed for an entire tournament. Unfortunately I think you will need to be in those situations enough times for that to finally clear up.

I really like your statement about team mates & wanting to NOT let them down.

That can certainly make one focus & perform as needed.

I sort of do the same thing when playing alone.

My Dad introduced me to the game & any ability, physical or mental, that I have, I see as a Gift from God, as there are so many far less fortunate than me.

So... I do not want to let my Dad, God, nor the Mom that nurtured me down by performing at anything less than to the best of my ability.

Good point about how playing for others can be of a reward to one's self.

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a tough, high-pressure game winning shot - I remind myself that only high, center, or low English will be allowed. NO amount of side English.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
On a tough, high-pressure game winning shot - I remind myself that only high, center, or low English will be allowed. NO amount of side English.

I've been using english for nearly 50 years, since I was 13 years old.

So, I see it differently.

By doing what you say, you make that shot something special that requires something special & it is no longer a regular shot.

Naturally if what you are doing is working for you then that's fine good & well for you.

Each individual will need to make there own determinations in what direction they go, as well that they should.

We are all different & what you're saying may work for the OP & others but not others that have a different type of mind set.

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely. I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin when it comes to how individuals think differently.

Best Wishes for You & Yours.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, sounds like your doing well to practice in a way that simulates match pressure, but there is still nothing like dealing with that situation where it is the last shot for the cheese.

Next time you are in that position, pause yourself and take a deep breath or two before getting down on that shot. Also, you could step away from the table and take a sip of water, or wipe down your hands/shaft, or apply a little powder, etc.

Whatever it takes to calm your nerves and focus so you can give that shot your best, unfettered attention.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
OP, sounds like your doing well to practice in a way that simulates match pressure, but there is still nothing like dealing with that situation where it is the last shot for the cheese.

Next time you are in that position, pause yourself and take a deep breath or two before getting down on that shot. Also, you could step away from the table and take a sip of water, or wipe down your hands/shaft, or apply a little powder, etc.

Whatever it takes to calm your nerves and focus so you can give that shot your best, unfettered attention.

---------:thumbup2:--------------

larry732

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the finals of a 9-ball tournament and knew I could beat my opponent who I have played many times . I ran most tables to the eight and missed the nine ball each time. I couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing wrong. I turned to a friend who is a great player and asked him that question. And his reply was, your changing your stroke for the nine ball. Your changing to an open bridge and bending lower and trying to finesse the ball instead using the same stroke you use for all your other shots.Stroke the ball in , don't try to steer it in. I did listen and ended up making all my critical shots and won. DON'T CHANGE YOUR STROKE FOR THE EIGHT OR NINE BALL PERIOD. Hope this helps.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I was in the finals of a 9-ball tournament and knew I could beat my opponent who I have played many times . I ran most tables to the eight and missed the nine ball each time. I couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing wrong. I turned to a friend who is a great player and asked him that question. And his reply was, your changing your stroke for the nine ball. Your changing to an open bridge and bending lower and trying to finesse the ball instead using the same stroke you use for all your other shots.Stroke the ball in , don't try to steer it in. I did listen and ended up making all my critical shots and won. DON'T CHANGE YOUR STROKE FOR THE EIGHT OR NINE BALL PERIOD. Hope this helps.

I have this same problem and am trying hard to correct it.
But It's not just the game ball.
It's also critical shots where the cue ball is more than 3 diamonds from the object ball.
So I try to make a special effort to stroke with the correct speed.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I think perhaps it should be pointed out that it seems some are talking about two different issues.

The OP says he succumbing to the pressure that he is putting on himself.

Should we be looking at ways to overcome the pressure or ways to avoid the pressure altogether.

I think the answer is twofold.

Firstly... avoid the pressure &/or reduce the number of times that it comes up

& then secondly, know how to recognize it when it does come up & know how to deal with it.

Doing anything to increase the importance of a shot will increase any pressure that is already there.

Why build pressure on what should be a relatively easy shot. Just shoot the shot with the same attention that one would for any other shot that was JUST as IMPORTANT... or one would not even be on this shot.

IF a shot is difficult it would be as difficult at any other point.

So... treat it with the attention that it deserves but do not give it any more attention than it DOES deserve.

Do not do anything to put pressure on one's self & then have to deal with that pressure in some manner.

Only deal with pressure when it comes up for some reason which should be rare.

Crucial times when one has team mates can be one of those times.

We need to find the motivation that makes us do what needs to be done in order to be successful.

I'm not doing anything differently for any crucial shot...

UNLESS I feel myself putting pressure on myself...

then & only then, am I going to do the things that I do to relieve that pressure.

Best Wishes to ALL.

Last edited:

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an interesting scene in the movie “7 Days in Utopia” – A golf movie and a life-lesson about what is important (spoiler alert, it’s not the game) BUT, this specific scene, the mentor asks “Why do you grip the club like that” and the student answers “I don’t know, I just always have” the Mentor tells him that’s the wrong answer – have conviction in what you do and take a personal inventory of your full routine from start to finish.

Bob said PSR, but I think it’s FSR – FULL shot routine. Make a review of your FSR down to the nth degree, every single step, to things like: “my pinky finds the division between the end of the wrap and the buttcap because I know that makes my arm perpendicular at point of contact” stuff like that.

That personal inventory self-awareness thing puts the mechanical piece fixed in your brain so your FSR undisputed and as they point out in another scene in the movie, if you hear something like “I can’t believe he does *this thing* the way he does”, it doesn’t affect you because you KNOW why you do the things you do.

Having this level of detail also allows for an easier post-mortem when you’ve not done so well. You take your written FSR and its easier to find what part you may have been skipping so you can correct easier.

Be well!

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't remove pressure situations. To some degree, they will always exist.

I do two things that might help:

1) I don't harp on how big the shot is. Sometimes I see people walk around the table, stare, chalk three of four times...ext. All that does not help you to understand the shot any better. Instead, it just adds pressure to yourself. So it's hill-hill and you're out of line on the 9. Don't waste your time and energy thinking about what went wrong or how much more difficult the shot is than you would like. You are talking yourself into a miss.

2) Here's what I think about when I'm trying to "cinch" a ball / tough shot. I visualize the object ball rolling slowly in the pocket. I then visualize it rolling a little faster in the pocket...and faster, and faster. Finally, I'm visualizing the ball almost creating a solid line in the pocket. Then I pull the trigger.

Here's how I think that helps. It takes so much concentration for that visualization, it pushes all the nervousness out of your head (we can't concentrate on two things at the same time...like how "big" a shot is).

Anyway, I found that helps me.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gamble. That's how me and many others learned to deal with the pressure. And not for a beer or pack of potato chips - something your gonna really feel if you dog it. Obviously it is not good to lose the rent money or the baby's formula but something that if you lose its gonna make you damn sure you don't let it happen again.

I'm sure some are gonna jump on this, but if you really think about it like it or not money makes the world go around. Shouldn't be that way but it just is. Money , or lack of can be one hell of a motorvator.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question for all those out there is how can you prepare for that pressure ball in the practice room? I recently was playing in a big match, hill/hill, it came down to the last ball for the win. I got a little out of line on the shot, but a makeable match ball and missed due to the pressure. What do you like to do for a drill or routine to prepare? I know that being in that situation as often as possible by getting in competition is the best way to get ready for the “big shot”, but competition is very limited where I live. So I practice hard, daily, to be prepared as possible for when I go to tournaments or money matches.
My routine includes shot making drills, ghost matches, and lots of straight pool where the break ball is my pressure ball. In the past I used to do a daily 10 shot drill (A.K.A. Kinister’s shot makers drill) where I set up a med/hard shot and attempt to pocket it ten times on a row and that tenth ball became my pressure ball. However, I took some lessons from CJ Wiley and he told me that would drive me crazy and that to make the shot once is enough and to move on.
What do you think? What would you do in the practice room to prepare for the “big shot” I light of limited competition?
I normally let my mind wander and end up missing because of that. I'm trying to get better at stepping back and redoing my pre shot routine

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you stay in action, playing for decent sums of money, you'll find there is no pressure, only opportunities.

You want to be the guy shooting with everybody watching, when it's all on the line. Of course you have to keep emotions in check. If you've been there and done that, it just gets easier.

Last edited: