Your thought on radially laminated butts?

Zerksies

Less chance for warpage. Design wise it think it needs some sort of inlay or points. It's too plain even for me

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should stop and consider why Predator chooses to do it this way. I'm not saying that radially laminating a core isn't a good thing, especially if you can't source or take the time to cure wood properly. But all the marketing aside, this has to do with the bottom line, plain and simple.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Good if it's cut from the same board.
But, no way to add weight in the middle.
You end up adding too much weight on top and bottom to get to 15 oz.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
IMO, a 1 3/8 laminated blank will have the most consistant hit and won't warp.

I build my cues on a 3/4" laminated 30" dowel. The difference in the hit only varies and 5 to 10 percent depending on the combo woods I use.

I took a 2 trace oscilloscope and put a 440 hertz concert A tuning frequency thru 8 different blanks from my frequency generator thru the cue and monitored the back end with a Barcus Berry pickup I borrowed from my Bass Fiddle. All blanks were tested without the pins installed.

The pattern between a maple cue exterior woods and one done with Ebony shows amplitude and frequency patterns that have a very similar profile. These two woods were the fartherest pattern difference but only about 10%. The other combos were are less.

End results from my test experiments is tha cues built on a core play very similar concern feedback.

I also tested some Ajoint cues with different combos and they show no similar pattern. Scrambled eggs. So they all played and felt very different.

All testing was done in 2007 and this was the reason I went to full coring on a 3/4" laminated maple dowel.

I core with gorilla poly glue which also produces a quieter hit. When i cored with West System it had more of a ping. Conversely if you like a loud cue with a ping my cues are not for you. My friend Wendell Weir advised me when I started building cues that he liked maple cues because they were quiet and he felt the hit right up his arm with his milk the cow
Stroke.

No way is right or wrong, just different. The cue maker has many choices.

Last edited:

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I build my cues on a 3/4" laminated 30" dowel. The difference in the hit only varies and 5 to 10 percent depending on the combo woods I use.

I took a 2 trace oscilloscope and put a 440 hertz concert A tuning frequency thru 8 different blanks from my frequency generator thru the cue and monitored the back end with a Barcus Berry pickup I borrowed from my Bass Fiddle. All blanks were tested without the pins installed.

The pattern between a maple cue exterior woods and one done with Ebony shows amplitude and frequency patterns that have a very similar profile. These two woods were the fartherest pattern difference but only about 10%. The other combos were are less.

End results from my test experiments is tha cues built on a core play very similar concern feedback.

I also tested some Ajoint cues with different combos and they show no similar pattern. Scrambled eggs. So they all played and felt very different.

All testing was done in 2007 and this was the reason I went to full coring on a 3/4" laminated maple dowel.

I core with gorilla poly glue which also produces a quieter hit. When i cored with West System it had more of a ping. Conversely if you like a loud cue with a ping my cues are not for you. My friend Wendell Weir advised me when I started building cues that he liked maple cues because they were quiet and he felt the hit right up his arm with his milk the cow
Stroke.

I like your test setup. I've thought of doing something similar with ultrasound, as that method is often used in wood analysis outside the cue industry:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good if it's cut from the same board.

Attachments

• IMG_210322_012200.jpg
    IMG_210322_012200.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 167

Mike Rys

Blind Owl

Stroke.

What did use as a transducer to impart the 440 Hz tone?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Stroke.

Can you explain how a hit varies by 5%?

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you were to make one yourself and knowing you cannot add weight in the middle, is there a wood combo that you can use to get to 15oz, say Maple and Cocobolo ?