z shaft with an elk master tip on it

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
if anyone uses a z shaft with an elk master on it ,i ll preciate any feedback
I am going to install one on my z shaft
 
Yesterday I put an Elkmaster tip on my Z2 shaft, because it was last tip I had. The shaft didn't feels too bad, but also not so good. I'll say it feels somehow dead, and I didn't like it. You have to put more power to obtain a good follow or draw shot. In my opinion a medium tip is the best for this shaft. I'll play more today and come back with more opinions.
 
My impression after installing elk master tips on Z2 and 314/2 shaft is that the shaft feels even deader than with a typical Medium or Soft layered tip.
Elk master and Predator is not a good combination to mee, but I do know people who love it.
 
I have Elk at Z2. I use normal shafts Elks also. Z2 is my snooker shaft. Not too good feel but it will get the work done.
 
if anyone uses a z shaft with an elk master on it ,i ll preciate any feedback
I am going to install one on my z shaft



It might be worth trying a pressed milkdud elkmaster...'dawgduds' by
AZB's pooldawg8.

More a medium hard hit...hold shape well, no mushrooming noted.

Pretty good tip...see reviews.

If you're looking for suggestions.
 
I know you're asking for Elkmaster but I thought I'd add that
I use a black Kamui medium on one of my Z2s and an Everest on the other.
Both work fantastically well and it's fun to go back and forth.
Just in case you got some of those laying around.
 
Elkmasters are hit and miss. You'll have to pick through a box to find the few solid ones that aren't puffed up masses of leather fibre.

Like a previous poster said, Dawgduds are pressed versions of them that are much more consistent and very low maintenance.
 
Played yesterday another 5 hours with Z2 shaft and an elkmaster tip. The tip start to fluffy on the side, the leather fiber come off, although I polish the side and use liquid wax.
The hit, is the same, dead, you have to force the shots, and is hard to control the ball. I have another elkmaster on a 314 shaft and it feels the same. I'll change the tip as soon as I get new tips.
 
Elk Master & Z2 sounds like the worst combination possible, besides maybe a shitake mushroom on the end of a Popsicle stick
 
not a good idea

thank you all for the response and/or the feedback
looks like its not a good idea an elk tip on z shaft
 
Put one on and if you don't like it, cut it off and throw it away.

It's a $0.50 tip and shouldn't cost more than $10 to install.
 
Put one on and if you don't like it, cut it off and throw it away.

It's a $0.50 tip and shouldn't cost more than $10 to install.
Since it's a 50 cent tip, I was able to screw up 3 times until I learned to install it myself. I then saved myself $8.50.

Anyhow; do you guys have something against elk masters in general, or is just that they're not compatible with a predator?
 
My impression after installing elk master tips on Z2 and 314/2 shaft is that the shaft feels even deader than with a typical Medium or Soft layered tip.
Elk master and Predator is not a good combination to mee, but I do know people who love it.

This is about what I found out. For a <somewhat> dead shaft like the Z2 you need a harder tip for it to play lively.
 
You pretty much can't ruin the performance of the Z2 no matter what tip you put on it (within reason), but an out of the box elkmaster will feel dead and overly soft on any shaft. If you put on milkdud, it will perform well. If you allready have an elkmaster installed, it will eventually harden up a bit and become more acceptable, but it might take a month of play. You can speed up the process somewhat by hitting it with a WORN OUT cue ball all over the surface of the tip as many times as your schedule and stamina will allow. Be carefull about not hitting too hard (remember that the shaft is hollow and the ferrule pretty fragile, so no harder than you would hit the ball in the game, please), and to hit the tip evenly all over. A milkdud will still perform better, though.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top