The APA 9 ball team CHAMPIONS disqualified

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, what other teams have done this?

I have been there every year since 04 and I have seen plenty of teams play short handed because players couldn't make it. Can't say I have seen many out right cheat and play a sub, and then justify it. Amazing, really freaking amazing.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
So I've just finished reading this whole thread, some of the Cheater's comments I had to read twice...
Relax guys, we could possibly be dealing with the stupidest person on the face of the earth
"not his fault, he was born an asshole and just grew bigger"

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have been there every year since 04 and I have seen plenty of teams play short handed because players couldn't make it. Can't say I have seen many out right cheat and play a sub, and then justify it. Amazing, really freaking amazing.

I was on a team that had to play 4, wish I'd have known we could have just had someone sit in, it would have been convenient

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bottom line is its a character, or lack there of, issue. After reading the comments from the accused, I can see he is surely lacking in something

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this quote is fitting here:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Good Lord, man! You are seriously trying to justify cheating? Sad...really sad.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banned for 2 years? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! They should be banned for life! If the pool community is worth its weight in chalk, each and every player on this roster should never be allowed to compete in an APA, BCA, VNEA, ACS event again in their lives. This isn't questionable sandbagging we're talking about. This was a deliberate attempt to commit fraud and compromise the integrity of amateur pool.

I can understand the life ban in APA..If I were to cave an let any of them play again..they'd have to play as sevens in eight ball an nines in nine ball ; an they'd
be locked there..In the other leagues..I'd they should play at the advance level as
well..

8onthesnap

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the whole thread, people like the defendant here make me want to go start the car and take hits off the exhaust pipe.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I've never played league so excuse me if this is stupid.

Had you played on the square, would you have simply forfeited 2 games? If so, then would that have spelled doom for your team in the tourney or could you have overcome it?

Can anyone answer this?

Thanks.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Can anyone answer this?

Thanks.

In the APA when you have handicap issues, instead of playing 5 players to a total handicap of 23, the rules allow you to play (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong) 4 players to a total of 19, or 3 to 17. Of course, if you're playing a team that can field 5 players to your 4 or 3, you're starting the match 20 or 40 points in the hole, tough for any team to overcome.

While I find the Cheater's actions highly questionable and just plain stupid, I'm not totally without sympathy for his dumb ass. In past years there have been ideas submitted to the APA for rules that would allow adding a player of a similar or lower S/L to the roster in case you had a player that couldn't make it, also a rule that would allow you expand the roster to 10 players for the NTC. So you could pick up 2 non qualifying players from your area or division to round out your roster for the NTC. As we can see, there are no such rules in place, so they cheated and basically stole about $ 10,000 or $15,000.
(nice work if you can get it)

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is my team...HE NEVER SHOWED A FAKE ID... not 1 team carded him...he is a apa 4 and played in place of a apa 4 the first 2 days till our 5th player got there... we had 3 7s and couldnt shoot 5 players to make 23 till the late 2nd day of play... we won that shit legit, if they allowed a roster change we wouldnt of had to cheat... and its not like we played a 7 as a 4...he is a 4 as a 4..and still a 4 now altho we got thrown out for 2 years and they "asked" for the $ back...you think were gonna repay 15k??

So, you admit you cheated. You got 15k for it. You were banned for two years (and I'm sure the ban-lift hinges on returning the money), have no intention of making things right and you expect to avoid criticism too? Welcome to the court of public opinion (aka, "azb").

Banks

Banned
"this is my team...HE NEVER SHOWED A FAKE ID... not 1 team carded him...he is a apa 4 and played in place of a apa 4 the first 2 days till our 5th player got there... we had 3 7s and couldnt shoot 5 players to make 23 till the late 2nd day of play... we won that shit legit, if they allowed a roster change we wouldnt of had to cheat... and its not like we played a 7 as a 4...he is a 4 as a 4..and still a 4 now altho we got thrown out for 2 years and they "asked" for the $ back...you think were gonna repay 15k??"

I hope the APA hits you all with legal action.

If you cheated, it wasn't legit.

:mutters something about never having been accused of being too smart:

Oh, and if this is in fact your team.. that's some pretty damning evidence you just gave up to support the fact that you fraudulently won.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Can anyone answer this?

Thanks.

I've never been to nationals (yet!) so I don't know if there are specials rules addressing this, but in regular league play, the answer is "yes, you can overcome it".

It won't be easy, and you probably won't do it, but if you play four players within the skill level constraints, and everyone does really well, you can overcome the loss of the match that you had to forfeit.

Our team only had four players available for a tri cup state qualifier a couple years ago, and we made it thru our first round match, but fell a few too short in the second round. Of course, at Nationals, the level of play should be much higher, so accomplishing short handed will be even more difficult. But not impossible.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont get it. Cheat to win what, 15k? Split that for 9 people, not the normal 8 person split, and it amounts to $1,666.66. Thats like 4hrs at a 1/2 table there in Vegas and you don't have to play through the whole tournament. What some people do for a little amount of money.......

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I dont get it. Cheat to win what, 15k? Split that for 9 people, not the normal 8 person split, and it amounts to $1,666.66. Thats like 4hrs at a 1/2 table there in Vegas and you don't have to play through the whole tournament. What some people do for a little amount of money.......

Our hero also collected an additional $2450 for finishing tied for third in the Nine Ball Singles in April. Sure makes you wonder doesn't it. Sure hope he doesn't claim his winnings to the IRS on his 2012 tax return. He'll find out what cheating really costs!

Lyn

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what you seem to be saying is that everyone cheats so its ok for you guys to cheat as well?

Congrats on your singles 3rd place finish. It sounds like all that sandbagging you did paid off. The APA should be proud to let you back in after a few years sabbatical.

Look at that great trophy you won too. Im sure your proud of all your accomplishments!

41484d2a2037884bc56ca0a4f9c57d68.jpg

That's the cheater? Looks like he may have eaten the missing team member on the flight out to Vegas. :grin:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
JT - I get your point, that you just swapped one 4 for another, so what's the big deal...

But they have that no-switching rule for a reason. It'd be easy to sneak a strong player in there and have him lay down a little while still winning the match. Not saying this is what you did, just that the rule is necessary to prevent this.

And even if your sub is 100% a legit 4... not all 4's are created equal. Maybe your usual 4 would have cracked under pressure, dogged his brains out, missed some crucial shot, whatever. Maybe the new 4 is basically a 5 except for one unlucky loss. You get the idea.

The results of the win aren't legit unless the team that made it there is the team that plays. It would suck to get DQ'd over "airport trouble" (2 days? WTF delays a flight by 2 days?) but you shoulda just accepted it, tried to enjoy your time there, hung out, made friends, treated it like a vacation. Then you can go home with your pride intact.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recollection was that the BCA disqualified the Taiwanese prior to paying them. Once the money changes hands it becomes so much harder. 7 active players there and they felt that they had to cheat? That's about as low as it gets.

JC

What did the players do wrong or were they just too good for that level?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donating it? Seems they are putting the cart before the horse...I'm curious how/if they are going to get their money back!

The only way to get that money back will be to put them all in a bus every few weeks and take them to the blood donor place 7x 15.00 =
105.00 divided into 15,000.00 is 14,260 trips.