Closest snooker table to Boston?

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Renaissance Billiards in Quincy had a 12' table, but they just closed a few weeks ago. I know Good Times in Somerville has a 10' table, but that place is closing soon too, and a 10 footer just isn't the same. Anyone know where the nearest 12' snooker table is? I'd be willing to drive an hour or two to find one...

encipher

I'm in the same situation here =\ The one place that had a snooker table closed down a few weeks ago.. and I have yet to find a replacement. Its a conspiracy !

Perhaps the people here could organize a snooker day/night somewhere in between were us forum members can go and play snooker. I'm not a great player myself, only started 3 months ago.. but I have so much passion for the sport, and I'm not really a pool fan. Something like that would definitely be awsome.

Last edited:

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm going to go into snooker withdrawal. snooker is such a great game, it really is too bad no one in america plays it. someone should put together a website that lists all the snooker tables in the US. would probably be a short list, hehe. it would be great if there were some snooker leagues or tournaments. i would be willing to do some moderate traveling to play

Tank138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Julians in Boston had one,
Crown Billiards ,New London Ct
Rack & Roll ,Stamford, Ct
The last three in New England that I have heard of.
Good luck
Tank

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Snooker in Boston (resurrecting an old message)

McChen, are you still in the Boston area? Have you found any 6 x 12 tables?

There's a 5 x 10 snooker table in Portsmouth, NH at Coat of Arms
http://www.coatofarmspub.com/aboutus.htm

I just found out that Sacco's in Somerville has a tournament Sunday afternoons in which snooker balls are used on a 4-1/2 x 9 pool table.
http://www.saccosbowlhaven.com/pool.htm

Crown Billiards in New London, CT has a 6 x 12 but they're offering it up for sale on eBay (item #320354613442).

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm still in boston, and unfortunately i haven't found any 6x12s :(. the closest one i had heard about was that one at crown billiards in CT. i was thinking about making a trip out there soon to play on it, but don't know if they still have it setup or already took it apart for the ebay auction. the closest one other than that is possible rack and roll in stamford, CT though I haven't confirmed that. looks like nyc might be the closest after that. sigh....my snooker cues are collecting a lot of dust!

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
i'm still in boston, and unfortunately i haven't found any 6x12s :(. the closest one i had heard about was that one at crown billiards in CT. i was thinking about making a trip out there soon to play on it, but don't know if they still have it setup or already took it apart for the ebay auction. the closest one other than that is possible rack and roll in stamford, CT though I haven't confirmed that. looks like nyc might be the closest after that. sigh....my snooker cues are collecting a lot of dust!

Playing snooker on a 5 x 10 is what drew me into playing pool more seriously.

If you're desperate and don't mind play pseudo-snooker then check out the Sunday afternoon tourney at Sacco's in Somerville just off Davis Square. American snooker balls are used on a 4-1/2 x 9.

Last Sunday was the first time I played at Sacco's, and since there were only two of us we played three frames. I had a good time, though. The guy who runs the pool tables at Sacco's said that if only a few players show up for the snooker tournament they play round robin, and if more arrive then they hold an elimination-style tournament.

(Fair warning: the tables at Sacco's are slow and the cloth is very worn.)

On a different note, what snooker cues do you have? Even if I'd only use it once in a while I'm interested in getting a decent snooker cue, and I'd welcome any suggestions. I've checked out the big name brands online but don't have a good sense of the difference in the quality of hit between different brands and models.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing snooker on a 5 x 10 is what drew me into playing pool more seriously.

If you're desperate and don't mind play pseudo-snooker then check out the Sunday afternoon tourney at Sacco's in Somerville just off Davis Square. American snooker balls are used on a 4-1/2 x 9.

Last Sunday was the first time I played at Sacco's, and since there were only two of us we played three frames. I had a good time, though. The guy who runs the pool tables at Sacco's said that if only a few players show up for the snooker tournament they play round robin, and if more arrive then they hold an elimination-style tournament.

(Fair warning: the tables at Sacco's are slow and the cloth is very worn.)

On a different note, what snooker cues do you have? Even if I'd only use it once in a while I'm interested in getting a decent snooker cue, and I'd welcome any suggestions. I've checked out the big name brands online but don't have a good sense of the difference in the quality of hit between different brands and models.

someone was just tellin me about that snooker game in davis sq! is it on a pool table, or a snooker like table with the rounded pockets? playing on such a small table must change the safety aspect a lot!

i have 2 snooker cues currently, a 3/4 jointed Mastercraft and a 1/2 jointed Mastercue. The Mastercraft (http://www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk) is made in England by Dave Buswell. The Mastercue (http://www.mastercue.th.com) is from Thailand and also an excellent bargain, though communication with them is kind of dicey as their English isn't great. Both will make it to your custom specs and they are both under $200 for their more basic models! Shipping is a bit expensive though, about $100 for overseas. I didn't want to spend crazy money on something like a Parris and but still wanted something nice to and to my specs and I've been extremely happy with both cues.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
someone was just tellin me about that snooker game in davis sq! is it on a pool table, or a snooker like table with the rounded pockets? playing on such a small table must change the safety aspect a lot!

The matches are played on a standard 4-1/2 x 9 pool table, so the pockets have sharp corners. It's easier to play down the rails, but you can't shoot into the side from quite the same angles. That said, the pockets are huge relative to the balls and hence more forgiving.

You're absolutely right that safety plays are different: on the one hand you can't ever leave a particularly long shot, and on the other hand it's a little easier to play safe in or behind the D since the 2, 3, and 4 balls block a comparatively larger portion of the table. The cloth doesn't have the same nap as a snooker table, which could mean (1) you'll have to tweak your aim for long shots and/or (2) you'll have a better chance of making long pots at a variety of speeds.

The rules are American snooker rules: every foul is 7 points. At Sacco's they also call every shot, even when a red is on.

i have 2 snooker cues currently, a 3/4 jointed Mastercraft and a 1/2 jointed Mastercue. The Mastercraft (http://www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk) is made in England by Dave Buswell. The Mastercue (http://www.mastercue.th.com) is from Thailand and also an excellent bargain, though communication with them is kind of dicey as their English isn't great. Both will make it to your custom specs and they are both under $200 for their more basic models! Shipping is a bit expensive though, about $100 for overseas. I didn't want to spend crazy money on something like a Parris and but still wanted something nice to and to my specs and I've been extremely happy with both cues.

Glad to hear it. I've read about both the Mastercraft and Mastercue. I've also looked at John Parris (why not?), Peradon, and others. The guy I played last Sunday said Sacco's has some house snooker cues, though I suspect they'll be low-end models.

If you think you might play at Sacco's some Sunday afternoon please let me know and I'll try to make it, too, assuming I don't have plans with my family.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some other nice ones that i've looked at were craftsman cues, mike wooldridge, and stamford cuemakers. sounds like sacco's would be fun to try, i'll definitely let you know if i go!

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
some other nice ones that i've looked at were craftsman cues, mike wooldridge, and stamford cuemakers. sounds like sacco's would be fun to try, i'll definitely let you know if i go!

Thanks, hope to see you there some Sunday. I've read a bit about the other manufacturers, and it's always good to get tips on cues.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just happened to be eating near where the old rennaissance billiards used to be and i stopped by to peek in the window. they've been closed for like a year and a half now, but most of the tables are still there, including the 6x12 snooker table! i so wanted to cut the chain on the door and play a few frames, haha! i wish we could find somewhere in boston that would buy it and set it up. i'm guessing the rennaissance people would sell it cheap too....

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
i just happened to be eating near where the old rennaissance billiards used to be and i stopped by to peek in the window. they've been closed for like a year and a half now, but most of the tables are still there, including the 6x12 snooker table! i so wanted to cut the chain on the door and play a few frames, haha! i wish we could find somewhere in boston that would buy it and set it up. i'm guessing the rennaissance people would sell it cheap too....

By the time I moved to Boston and called Rennaisance they'd already closed. Bummer.

My online searches still haven't found a snooker table closer to Boston. Here are lists I've checked:
http://www.billiardscoop.com/billiard-rooms.asp?s=ma
http://www.billiards.com/Dir/Pool_Halls_Billiards_Parlors_Massachusetts.asp

Nguyen Trai Bida Inc and Korean Cultural Ctr caught my eye, but there's no info about them online. Since snooker is played in southeast Asia, there's a chance--maybe a very small chance--that one of these places would have a snooker table. I'll call and find out.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Last edited:

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
someone should put together a website that lists all the snooker tables in the US. would probably be a short list, hehe.

An update, McChen: after some fairly intensive searches on pool web sites and forums--and lots of brute force googling--I've compiled a list of over 100 pool halls in the U.S. with snooker tables. I still need to call each listing to confirm whether the snooker table(s) still exist; places can shut down in a hurry.

I'm finding quite a few 6 x 12 tables, interestingly enough.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is great! let me know if you need some help. we should post this list on a web site somewhere

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
that is great! let me know if you need some help. we should post this list on a web site somewhere

You bet. Once I get the list ready I'll be putting it online in several file formats, and I'll be posting links on several forums.

144 listings and counting...

drsnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised snookerusa.com doesn't have a list. They should definitely post it on there website. That was the first place I looked when I moved.

Anyway, Rethunk: your effort is definitely welcomed and appreciated. Hopefully, it'll inspire more people to play this great game.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
I'm surprised snookerusa.com doesn't have a list. They should definitely post it on there website. That was the first place I looked when I moved.

Anyway, Rethunk: your effort is definitely welcomed and appreciated. Hopefully, it'll inspire more people to play this great game.

Thanks, and I certainly hope that posting the list will help motivate people to make the trek to the closest snooker table. Thanks as well for the references in your earlier message.

When the list is done I'll be posting it here on AzB first, but it'll be publicly available, so snookerusa.com would be welcome to re-post it.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member

Hi there,

I do happen to have a database for the SnookerUSA.com website with many snooker locations on included.

However I cannot vouch for the accuracy or whether they are full-sized tables.

I will put this database back on but if anyone can help in compiling an accurate list, I would of course credit you on the website for your assistance.

Best wishes.

Alan.