Slow Players What are you thinking about?

real irish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When i was playing pool alot i was one of the fastest players you would ever see . One tournament 9-ball match i had with whitey walker in st.louis was race to 9 winner break .Whitey beat me 9-7 with only two 9 balls made on the break . Granted we were playing on a bar box but the match only took 15 minutes . Slow play is bad for pool in several ways . When a local room is having a tournament the play of one or two slow players can add 2 or more hours to the length of the tourney , especially if the players have some ability . Some entrants won't play as often because of the time it takes . As far as the pro men and women players it just turns off the viewers to watch a couple of slow players compete . Over the years i have seen many so so players jump a few rungs on the skill ladder just by speeding up their game .!!!

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
Many people say negative things about slower players, but what if you are a beginner and you are learning the game. With that sort of attitude towards them, it would turn them away from the game. I am currently teaching two of my best friends who are interested in the sport, one because I do it, two because it is a good sport. They take a long time to shoot each shot, but they are making an effort, and I don't let any of it bother me. When it is my turn, I take my turn and sit down and enjoy the good time. I'm glad they are taking it serious and are showing great interest. I take my time teaching them the limited knowledge that I know. They are slowly progressing and I can see it, and am happy about it. If I am off the table and it would take them nearly half an hour for one game, but I enjoy it, because you can tell they both try hard to win and give each other a challenge.

Yes, for a more seasoned player who plays slow is a little bit distracting, but when you have money on the table and are not trying to lose, you would take your time for a shot.

I am generally a faster player. I barely have a pre-shot rountine, I line up and shoot. Sometimes when it is a more difficult shot to me, I would take longer because I have to think about how to execute it to have the percentage of the shot being made go up. Or if I am playing by myself and I play a safe against myself, I have to think about how to get out of it. Though I would never take more than a minute because I am impatient as it is.

JMHO

Chino

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I've broken it down to 2-3 subspecies of slow players.

In the first group,we have players that use slow play as a "move",something to disturb their opponent into a sub-par match.

I won't go into any further discussion than that,we all know they exist. Their behaviors are things like standing up and re-adjusting constantly,re-chalking,getting a drink,taking a 30 min break during a match,etc.

This second group has 2 types of slow players and an exception. Both of these types are just naturally slow players.

Some of these guys seem to be taking longer than normal to make their decisions above the table,but then get down and execute in what we generally consider an acceptable time frame.

The others are the type that make their decisions fairly quickly,but then get down and take 25 warm-up strokes on a routine ball.

I've noticed that the people that take a huge number of warm-up strokes are quite often "bunters",the ones that never drill a ball in the pocket,don't seem to have a powerful enough stroke to compete effectively,etc.

Personally,I have no problems with slow players,as long as the slowness is "natural". I haven't had enough experience with people trying to intentionally slow-play me as most,but it wouldn't matter anyway. They can do whatever they want while they're standing over a shot,I only pay attention to people when their hand is attached to the table anyway. Therefore,their pace of play will not affect me.

The one that can be tricky for others,is the guy that is maybe a hair slow in the decision-making part of the game,and maybe he takes a few more warm-up strokes during his pre-shot process,and then exaggerates BOTH in an effort to shark you. Those are pretty rare.

Everyone here knows that big-cash or tournament match pressure can certainly slow a "normal" player down pace-wise. This is NOT the kind of slow play I'm referring to.

I've taught myself to not pay much attention to mannerisms like slow-fast play,etc. The only thing that matters in competition is what happens when your opponent has their hand on the cloth. Tommy D.

Pii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think slow players come from bar tables they got all night to enjoy that $1.00 rack & $5.00 beer, but in a pool hall most think shit i'm spending $10.00 an hr I need to string some racks fast.

Other than that most slow players trip on how far they drove to play with fast players, when they could have stayed at there poolhall or bar and played with slower guys.

I think if you film slow players and put them on you tube maybe they might learn from video's and speed up.

Just another .02 for the can of worms you opened,

Craig

I think it would be the other way around, a fast player may figure out he is losing because he doesn't think it ALL through.

Pii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't compete as much as I did when I was younger. I will be 62 this year and my eyes and legs are not what they use to be.

Currently B+ speed.

When I was much younger in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s I played in tournaments in Cincinnati, Louisville, Columbus, Indianapolis, Lexington and points south Nashville, Memphis and Knoxville. Never did all that well, but I did compete.

Maybe you should have slowed down.:rolleyes:

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
This quote came from one of the best gamblers in the world Pete Horne. If you don't believe Pete was one of the best. All you got to do is ask him...=)
Quote "Take your time and shoot fast"
Think about it...it makes alot of sense....=-)

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people say negative things about slower players, but what if you are a beginner and you are learning the game. With that sort of attitude towards them, it would turn them away from the game. I am currently teaching two of my best friends who are interested in the sport, one because I do it, two because it is a good sport. They take a long time to shoot each shot, but they are making an effort, and I don't let any of it bother me. When it is my turn, I take my turn and sit down and enjoy the good time. I'm glad they are taking it serious and are showing great interest. I take my time teaching them the limited knowledge that I know. They are slowly progressing and I can see it, and am happy about it. If I am off the table and it would take them nearly half an hour for one game, but I enjoy it, because you can tell they both try hard to win and give each other a challenge.

Yes, for a more seasoned player who plays slow is a little bit distracting, but when you have money on the table and are not trying to lose, you would take your time for a shot.

I am generally a faster player. I barely have a pre-shot rountine, I line up and shoot. Sometimes when it is a more difficult shot to me, I would take longer because I have to think about how to execute it to have the percentage of the shot being made go up. Or if I am playing by myself and I play a safe against myself, I have to think about how to get out of it. Though I would never take more than a minute because I am impatient as it is.

JMHO

Chino

That money on the game thing you mentioned isn't really true. weather i'm betting or not i take about the same amount of time. so do most of the other guys i've run into

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
What gets me at the local tourneyments is not the slow play, its the players who don't bother to stay at the table (its a bar), don't remember what group they have (8-ball), or the various rules in play.

Tap, tap tap!!!!
I totally agree. If you want to play pool, stay at the table and stay in the game. If you wandered off during a match, I might accidentally forget to tell you you have BIH when you decide to return. I take that kind of activity as being disrespectful to me, the TD and all the other players who probably want things to move along smoothly.

Rep!

Steve

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap, tap tap!!!!
I totally agree. If you want to play pool, stay at the table and stay in the game. If you wandered off during a match, I might accidentally forget to tell you you have BIH when you decide to return. I take that kind of activity as being disrespectful to me, the TD and all the other players who probably want things to move along smoothly.

Rep!

Steve

i was playing a cheap set one day and the guy i was playing left me tough. i kicked at the ball and made a good hit but the guy had walked away to talk to a friend and when he got back he swore i didn't hit the ball. i explained how it worked but he basically told me knew i was lying

in tournaments i think people should have to stay near their table or forfeit their money

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if one is a negative Libra she or he will have problem in making a decision.example-kid delicious

(I am not sure what a 'negative Libra' is, but) I am a Libra and nobody likes me, so I could be one.

I have never been accused of slow play and am of the opinion that 99% of the time I come to the table, I see the shot I am shooting within 15 sec.

DelayedJuice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
depends

If the table is open and the runout is fairly easy i make it fast , but if theres a few clusters to work out and its for the $ then i'm going to take my sweet ass time making sure i get out.

If your in a rush to get somewhere after pool then don't play.

Some players are natural's and can play fast , and most amateurs don't see patterns and routine shots like a seasoned players. So just chill out until you get a shot.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd rather watch two pigs fu$@ than play a slow player. Can't stand it. But, it does make me wanna torture them more.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd rather watch two pigs fu$@ than play a slow player. Can't stand it. But, it does make me wanna torture them more.

every time i play someone that plays slow and they miss i think to myself "well hell, you took all that time just to miss"

8ball-alex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate slow players! Of course, you could take your time, setteling for the shot, but when it gets to 30 seconds for each shot, Im getting frustrated.

I was playing in a tournament played for a place in the QF. Because he used so long time in his last match, our match was sat to 1 hour and 15 minutes. (Which I dont think is enough time in 8ball, race to 7.).He won the match 7-5. When he was leading 6-3, I had 15 minutes to take 4 frames! Alternate brakes to, so I had to let him go on the table. I dont think it is fair that I have to suffer because he is a REALLY slow player, what do you think?

I calculated after the match that he actually used about 50 seconds on each ball! What should the Tournament leader do in these situasions? Did he make the right call by putting the match on the clock, and not a shot-clock?

Thanks!

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I calculated after the match that he actually used about 50 seconds on each ball! What should the Tournament leader do in these situasions? Did he make the right call by putting the match on the clock, and not a shot-clock?

Thanks!

Many years ago one did not hear much criticism of the slow play and slow players.Once some players started expressing ( in the pool media like AZB ) their opposition for slow play more and more players started expressing their opposition to slow play.The opinions expressed by many have been catching like a wild fire and it definitely raised the awareness in the pool community. In the future this will definitely lead to changes in the rules for the game. what Kid delicious did one time on a foreign soil in a international tournament raised more awareness in the pool community to this problem of slow play.During that match that world famous tournament referee from scotland did not know how to address the issue because there were no clear rules on that issue.
I follow the addage from old South '' One time shame on you and two times shame on me''. Once I know that somebody is a slow player I will never play him again and I don`t even socialize with him outside the pool hall.I am very harsh towards slow players.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Thanks Mamono for your explanation, I really appreciate it. I am trying to understand this better to be more fair about it in tournament conditions.

For me, it would be because I felt uneasy about the shot and I wanted to calm down to get back into the state of mind where I could feel confident without a doubt about the shot that I would be making. Uneasiness can cause the shot to go wrong because you might stroke it wrong, a last second change on the cue ball contact point because of being uncertain, wrong speed, unclear focus, etc etc. At least, that's why I would stand up again to clear my mind and to take a few deep breaths. I don't have a strong back, so I can't stay down on the shot for extended periods of time. I take my time to be certain that I know exactly what I am going to do before I need to go down for the shot to prevent undue strain on my back.

I don't get up from my shot that often, but it has happened before. I know that I've done it at least 2-3 times over the last 10 hours of shooting this past week.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Another game I was associated with for a long time was GOLF. On the good public course and some of the private clubs, there is a Club Marshall that makes sure the course isn't backed up because of "Slow Players". When golfers are aware they are holding up the groups behind them, usually the experienced and courteous players will let the other groups 'play through'

In Pool there isn't a rule that you can 'play through' when there is a slow group ahead of you. You HAVE to wait. Slow Play impacts tournament play and a shot clock (IMO) isn't the best way to handle the situation. To me, a shot clock just means that the slow player misses more often while at the table. Shot clocks are an outside influence on BOTH players. To me, this isn't fair. But something has to be done about these slow players.

I just wanted to understand why it takes so long.