I am interested in a cue made out of African Blackwood?????????

Mr1Pocket

Registered
After talking to a cue maker about woods used for musical instruments & doing some research. I am interested in a forward balanced cue made out of African Blackwood. (Merry Widow)

I am not a cue maker!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it is a very heavy wood. Is it possible to make a 20-21 ounce cue without coring? Is a 2 Piece Butt possible? If it must be done in 3 what woods would you suggest for the handle??????? (Hows Tulip Wood)

What is your experience working with this wood and its properties??????

Thanks for the response!

Michael

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
Yes it can be achieved. A 3 piece butt is much better to do this in the weight , non coring size you request.
I would suggest a nice curly maple,birdseye maple, or a light rosewood like Indian Rosewood for the handle. Or, you can have a nice straight grain maple handle installed and wrap the handle with a nice leather wrap. This gives you the weight range you like with some nice options on style. Would be in the 20-21 ounce range then.
You would need to go with a nice g-10, or aluminum pin to help lower the weight as well. Also keeping the shaft wood to around 3.2- 3.5 ounce range would also aid in the weight. Even adding a lighter wood for say a 4 point forearm would also help lighten the cue.
Hope this helps,
Jim Lee

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
After talking to a cue maker about woods used for musical instruments & doing some research. I am interested in a forward balanced cue made out of African Blackwood. (Merry Widow)

I am not a cue maker!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it is a very heavy wood. Is it possible to make a 20-21 ounce cue without coring? Is a 2 Piece Butt possible? If it must be done in 3 what woods would you suggest for the handle??????? (Hows Tulip Wood)

Thanks for the response!

Michael

i've got one in the works now,
just the exact opposite of your design,
it's blackwood (cored) handle with a tulipwood forearm
if you want to send me your email , i can get a picture to you, so you can at least see the looks of those woods together

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackwood cue

The merry widow idea is out of the question in my book. A three piece cue is do-able within reason. Let me know more about your specifications and let's see if we can work together. Thanks for giving me a chance to talk to you. Mahogany handle between blackwood is one idea also.
Visit my website for some examples of my work and info about me.

http://www.triplecrosscues.com

Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:
email: triplecrosscues@yahoo.com

Eric Wynne

Banned
You want to buy or just a look ? Mostly pelicans with no cash here ... Here's a cue made from the wood you desire ... I know you're probably broke ...:cool:

Attachments

• DSC01451.jpg
    DSC01451.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,857
  • DSC01454.jpg
    DSC01454.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,765
  • DSC01453.jpg
    DSC01453.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,781

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just shipped this one to Hong Kong on Monday. It was a unique piece of African Black wood as it had a Birdseye figure in the wood.

DSC_0001-19.jpg

DSC_0004-4.jpg

DSC_0003-10.jpg

These pictures were taken before the cue's finish was completed. I'm not trying to get a sale as I have no more of this wood. Thanks for looking.

Dick

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Here is a Sugartree I used to own with African blackwood nose and butt... Man am I sorry to had that cue sold... One of the best hitting cues I've had.

DSC03317.jpg

DSC03320.jpg

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a Sugartree I used to own with African blackwood nose and butt... Man am I sorry to had that cue sold... One of the best hitting cues I've had.

DSC03317.jpg

DSC03320.jpg

Thank you Tony! Maybe someday you can buy it back!:p

Seriously this cue is fantastic! And the wood glows in certain lights. It is very hard to photograph.

Good luck in your quest!

Chris

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i've made a bunch of these cues and basically Blackwood is the nuts.it is my favorite wood of all.i always look for straight grain pieces and i never core it.depending on handle weight with a G-10 pin the cues come out between 19.5-20.5oz.

i have one almost finished right now with a brass pin and a Birdseye handle that should be under 20oz.

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want to buy or just a look ? Mostly pelicans with no cash here ... Here's a cue made from the wood you desire ... I know you're probably broke ...:cool:

Not that this is any of my business but is this a personal joke or something? If not, this is quite rude and offensive.

Just my .02

Chris

DBK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made pool cue with African Black Rosewood recently too. Weight about 20.8-21.5 ounces depending on shaft. But the cue is longer then standard (60.2" vs 58"), therefore if the length was less, the weight would be about 19.5-20 ounces even without a core, probably because of maple butterflies.
123442682.jpg