ATTENTION: Justis Case Owners

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I'd imagine that if someone trashed your product using lies and innuendo then you'd want to set the record straight. Or would you just take it?

Yes ,thats what you do,just take it. Let your product stand for itself. Seems rather foolish to start/continue a fight on the largest billiard forum in the world. Can't do you any good can it?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
HAPPY BIRTHDAY - I owe you a beer and an hour of pool - you can collect at the Sterling booth at any show we are at! :)

Today's my birthday, and I just spent the last half an hour reading this thread. That's a half an hour of my life I'll never get back. But it was entertaining. So after all this he said/he said, I guess we could all go out and buy a Whitten case.

Well that's actually solid advice. The Whittens build one hell of a good case. I have enjoyed all the ones I have owned. I took one apart in the mid 90's and let me tell all of you that Whitten cases are SOLID. with very very few weaknesses. The ones built today are even better. I have nothing but the highest praise for Dan and Joe and the cases they build.

All kidding aside, I have owned both cases and I now have a Whitten I use everyday. I think Mr. Barton makes the best case for protection, I think Mr. Justis makes the most beautiful case, and I think the Whitten case is somewhere in the middle.

I don't think Whitten is in the middle at all. Whitten stands shoulder to shoulder with the best cases ever made. I do think that my interiors are more protective but it's only because we pad the interiors and Whitten doesn't.

What I wouldn't give for a blending of the Justis look with the Barton protection.

According to Jack that what the J.Flowers Tribute cases are. Take a look, www.jbcases.com/jflowers.html

Maybe you two should drop the guns and stop shooting at each other and simply collaborate on a case together.

I made that offer. I seriously doubt it will ever happen.

Now for the pros and cons...
I love the look but not the funtionality of the Justis pockets. You can't store much in there and it's hard to reach in and grab what you're looking for.

I feel the exact same way. For that reason I have developed a pocket that looks like a box pocket but has an L-zipper on it. I haven't yet rolled it out but it's on the experiment wall.

[I love the protection of the GTF. But, I don't like the fact that I have to put two shafts tip down and two shafts tip up. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to have all the tips down.
These are just my thoughts...
Everyone have a great day!!!

Well this has to do with the size of the GTF tube which goes back to the It's George tubes. The whole idea there is by offsetting the shafts you can get more cues into a smaller space. I could make change the tube to do what you want but then it would change the "footprint" of the GTF case and what the person who commisioned GTF wanted was specifically the smaller and sleeker look that the GTF and related cases in that genre have.

You have a great birthday too! Look me up at one of the shows if you happen to make it and we are there.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'd imagine that if someone trashed your product using lies and innuendo then you'd want to set the record straight. Or would you just take it?

Yes ,thats what you do,just take it. Let your product stand for itself. Seems rather foolish to start/continue a fight on the largest billiard forum in the world. Can't do you any good can it?

Well I am sure that someday if you own a business and your competitor starts spreading lies you will not just lay down and take it.

If you owned a deli and the guy across the street put a sign in his window saying that your egg salad has Salmonella in it would you stand for it?

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I'm not friends with Jack, and not with JB. I know JB is the bigger ass today though. Marketing by bashing someone else, instead of just showing the qualities of your product, may sell more cases. It is however, very tasteless and shows the maker of a quality product in poor light. Its a shame that he designs good products, but has the personality of a horses hind end.

i agree that the bashing should stop...but Jack has came out and bashed John as well.....I dont have time to search for the thread but it was on someones thread where they were showing off their new JB Case...so they are both in the wrong...

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'm not friends with Jack, and not with JB. I know JB is the bigger ass today though. Marketing by bashing someone else, instead of just showing the qualities of your product, may sell more cases. It is however, very tasteless and shows the maker of a quality product in poor light. Its a shame that he designs good products, but has the personality of a horses hind end.

Let me make something very clear about why I chose THIS particular thread.

Jack Justis has made a statement that my cases cause harm to the finish of pool cues.

This is completely untrue. And it is particularly repugnant in light of the fact that Justis put out a warning to his customers that his cases can damage cues.

This is why I chose to address it in this specific thread.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Well I am sure that someday if you own a business and your competitor starts spreading lies you will not just lay down and take it.

If you owned a deli and the guy across the street put a sign in his window saying that your egg salad has Salmonella in it would you stand for it?

I do own my own business and I let my rep and my product stand for itself. If some one badmouths me they lower themselves. If I respond in turn I lower myself. Say nothing,take no action. If you indeed have faith in your product his words will be like wind on a rock.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I do own my own business and I let my rep and my product stand for itself. If some one badmouths me they lower themselves. If I respond in turn I lower myself. Say nothing,take no action. If you indeed have faith in your product his words will be like wind on a rock.

I can't argue with this and hope someday to achieve this state of being that allows me to follow this path.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Jack did say an unkind word about JB's cases in the other thread, but only after his cases were given a thorough and unprovoked bashing by JB. Now JB revives a very old thread for the purpose of more bashing.

I don't know whose cases are better cue protectors but there's a few things I'm sure of. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask on the old Lone Ranger and you don't get into a bashing battle with the speed-typing, seemingly tireless JB. Kudos to Jack for not responding in this thread.

Oh, another thing that may be relevant. I love my Justis case.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've met both case makers and I've never had an issue with either one of them on a personal level. Both of these guys have been polite to me in person.

In person and online are two different things. Some of the things that Mr. Barton has to say might very well be quite valid but I rarely get a chance to find out. It is not often that I can get through one of his posts when he gets on his soap box. Everytime a post is made against the argument Mr. Barton is defending, his posts get longer and longer.

I hope Jack continues to take the high road with this thread by not posting in it and feeding Mr. Barton the ammo he so desires at times like this.

I hope both case makers have a safe and happy holiday.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Best of Both Worlds

As a lifelong drummer, one thing that has been said by drummers was to have the BEST of both worlds, is to have Tama Drums and Pearl hardware, with that combination you would have the BEST Drum Kit…with these 2 cases, I think if you had a Justis shell, and a JB Cases interior you would basically have the best case avail. That’s just the way I look at it….others might not agree with that though.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with these 2 cases, I think if you had a Justis shell, and a JB Cases interior you would basically have the best case avail. That’s just the way I look at it….others might not agree with that though.

I'm not one to toss my case around or run over it with the car so the whole super duper heroic case protection is not needed for me. As for the problem you had with your pin - I was more surprised to hear that people put their cues into their cases joint pin down (esp w/o a joint protector) than I was to hear that a cue was damaged from it.

It has never crossed my mind to put my cue into a case like that. Whether it had any bearing on the cue or not, my mind tells me it wouldn't be good for the cue to have the weight of the cue resting on the pin. The weight of the cue resting on the fuller, rubber bumper makes more sense to me.

Sorry you had this problem, I know I would be sick if it were my cue.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I've met both case makers and I've never had an issue with either one of them on a personal level. Both of these guys have been polite to me in person.

In person and online are two different things. Some of the things that Mr. Barton has to say might very well be quite valid but I rarely get a chance to find out. It is not often that I can get through one of his posts when he gets on his soap box. Everytime a post is made against the argument Mr. Barton is defending, his posts get longer and longer.

I hope Jack continues to take the high road with this thread by not posting in it and feeding Mr. Barton the ammo he so desires at times like this.

I hope both case makers have a safe and happy holiday.

The ammo was fed earlier when Jack decided to lie about my cases.

That was definitely not the high road.

Jack always snipes and runs away.

Lie. Run Away. Snipe. Start Crap. Run Away.

You may not like my lengthy posts but at least I stand here and am willing to take all that anyone has to say and am willing to discuss it. I don't snipe and run away. I don't lie and run away. If I say something and am wrong and you can show me I am wrong then I admit it and thank you for the lesson.

Well, Jack posted that my cases damage cues. He posted in another thread that cues cannot be damaged in his cases. But here, two years earlier he states that cues can in fact be damaged in his cases.

Regardless of what you all think common sense is about how to use a case the fact remains that Jack Justis is TELLING you that your cue can be damaged in his case.

And I am telling you that this is nuts to make a case that can harm a cue.

My cases don't harm cues. Jack's do according to Jack's own warning to that effect.

I always thought the basic premise of a cue case is to protect the cues. Seems to me that a case where you have to pay special attention to how you use it or risk damaging your cues is a violation of that basic premise.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'm not one to toss my case around or run over it with the car so the whole super duper heroic case protection is not needed for me.

Do you ever hit a bump or a pothole when you are driving?

What do you think happens to your cues inside of a plastic shell with minimal to no padding between the parts and the wall of the case when you hit a bump?

Do you think that the cues don't move? Do you think it's possible that they might hit the interior of the case with some force?

We will answer that question this coming weekend live on Ustream.

Hopefully the video will be good enough to show just what happens inside a Justis case when external force is applied in various ways.

Then maybe you will rethink your position on just how much protection is adequate and what is inadequate.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My cues all have inexpensive (tho I've been eyeballing some of the fancy ones) joint protectors. When placing them in my Justis 3X6 lightweight, I keep the joint protectors up.

What's the big deal?

As far as protection goes, I can not so proudly say that every flaw my cues now have was not the fault of a case. I'm pretty good at banging my cues around, despite my best efforts to not do so. :sorry:

John, from reading your website and seeing posts made by those here, it seems to me that you & Jack both make excellent products.

To anyone contemplating a high end case purchase, I'd say compare products, also look into makers other than John & Jack. Then make your choice based on what YOU want, while ignoring any internet feuds.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I'm not one to toss my case around or run over it with the car so the whole super duper heroic case protection is not needed for me. As for the problem you had with your pin - I was more surprised to hear that people put their cues into their cases joint pin down (esp w/o a joint protector) than I was to hear that a cue was damaged from it. You can ask anyone that knows me on here and they will tell you I take extremely good care of my cues. I have a Schon cue I bought in 1993

It has never crossed my mind to put my cue into a case like that. Whether it had any bearing on the cue or not, my mind tells me it wouldn't be good for the cue to have the weight of the cue resting on the pin. The weight of the cue resting on the fuller, rubber bumper makes more sense to me.

Sorry you had this problem, I know I would be sick if it were my cue.

My problem wasnt with my pin, I put my cue into my pro lite and with the free swinging movement inside the case, my cue clearcoat had a small nick it it when I pulled the cue out 45 min later. You can ask anyone that knows me on here and they will tell you I take extremely good care of my cues. I have a Schon cue I bought new in 1993, I showed it to a guy last week and he said it looks brand new...it has never been refinished and I clean the shafts often..

The nick I had in my cue was honestly not that big of a deal, I just had it refinished and away I went..so things can, and will happen no matter what. And honestly, I did put my cues in pin down, most of my cues had J/P so I guess I got lucky and didnt get a pin damaged..

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My problem wasnt with my pin, I put my cue into my pro lite and with the free swinging movement inside the case, my cue clearcoat had a small nick it it when I pulled the cue out 45 min later. You can ask anyone that knows me on here and they will tell you I take extremely good care of my cues. I have a Schon cue I bought new in 1993, I showed it to a guy last week and he said it looks brand new...it has never been refinished and I clean the shafts often..

The nick I had in my cue was honestly not that big of a deal, I just had it refinished and away I went..so things can, and will happen no matter what. And honestly, I did put my cues in pin down, most of my cues had J/P so I guess I got lucky and didnt get a pin damaged..

My apologies for misunderstanding exactly what had happened to your cue.:eek:

Happy Thanksgiving :cool:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Jack did say an unkind word about JB's cases in the other thread, but only after his cases were given a thorough and unprovoked bashing by JB. Now JB revives a very old thread for the purpose of more bashing.

I don't know whose cases are better cue protectors but there's a few things I'm sure of. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask on the old Lone Ranger and you don't get into a bashing battle with the speed-typing, seemingly tireless JB. Kudos to Jack for not responding in this thread.

Oh, another thing that may be relevant. I love my Justis case.

The comparison of Justis and the J.Flowers was not unprovoked. It was provoked by Justis case collector Doug Waltrip. Doug had been asked to stay away from making snide comments in threads about my cases. He was told that the consequences would be a thorough examination of Justis cases against our cases. So I followed through.

Yes, Kudos to Jack for not standing up and telling us all why he chooses to build cases where there is a chance that cues can be severely damaged instead of adding proper amounts of padding to INSURE that the damage he warns of could NEVER happen. Bravo Jack. Just ignore it and it will all blow over soon and people will get back to praising your pretty pretty cases without a thought in the world as to your warnings.

Of course you love your Justis. Hope you don't have an accident with it like the guy whose snap broke on his $2300 Justis and his cues flew out it into the snowbank in a North Dakota blizzard. As he and his friend were frantically digging $4000 in cues out of the snow he was just swooning with love for his Justis.

And yes I know Rich, these things NEVER happen to you and you don't know anyone who has ever had a problem with their Justis. And who would be so stupid as to take their cues and cases out in a blizaard anyway. The guy probably deserved to lose his cues in the snow.

It's ok, we all love imperfect things. We love whatever makes us feel good whether that thing is actually good or not. I get it, owning a Justis is empowering, it makes you feel great, part of the club. I understand all the emotions connected to it. And I understand why you feel a deep seated need to lash out at me for "bashing" the object of your love.

No hard feelings on my end. Love away. Jack builds a pretty case worthy of being loved. One can forget the fact that your cues are separated by a paper thin piece of nylon with no padding beyond the first five inches. That's why they say love is blind.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
My cues all have inexpensive (tho I've been eyeballing some of the fancy ones) joint protectors. When placing them in my Justis 3X6 lightweight, I keep the joint protectors up.

What's the big deal?

As far as protection goes, I can not so proudly say that every flaw my cues now have was not the fault of a case. I'm pretty good at banging my cues around, despite my best efforts to not do so. :sorry:

John, from reading your website and seeing posts made by those here, it seems to me that you & Jack both make excellent products.

To anyone contemplating a high end case purchase, I'd say compare products, also look into makers other than John & Jack. Then make your choice based on what YOU want, while ignoring any internet feuds.

Absolutely. I have never said anything different than here is what I feel a case should do and go and take that information and use it to compare for yourself.

This essay explains what I feel is proper protection for a cue www.jbcases.com/protection.html

Yes, this is feud. But out of it will come a detailed dissection of both my case and a Justis case. Armed with that knowledge whoever digests this will have a better understanding of the spectrum of protection ranging from the bare minimum approach Jack takes to the ultra padded approach that I take. Then they can make their choices based on real factual knowledge of the product rather than someone's lovesick testimonial.