Women At The US Opem...maybe

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Barry has an open letter about women in the next (2011) US Open on AZBilliards home page. I hope all vote yes for it. Johnnyt

WINTHEDAY14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the idea. The pool community needs to come together instead of being segragated if people want the sport to go anywhere.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Barry has an open letter about women in the next (2011) US Open on AZBilliards home page. I hope all vote yes for it. Johnnyt

JT:

You are definitely on top of news, friend!

I personally think it's about time for women in the U.S. Open. Those "this is my sandbox; that's your sandbox; never play in each other's sandbox" days of gender segregation in our sport should've been over long ago. Like you and I once agreed on in a past thread (methinks it was about the resistance displayed to Jeanette Lee getting the DCC Louis Roberts action aware), pool's been stuck in the 1950s for a long time.

I was at a recent Turning Stone -- two Turning Stones ago(?) -- where I had the pleasure of watching Allison Fisher play Ginky (George San Souci), and Allison absolutely ROASTED him, 9 - 0. Allison (and Karen Corr, and Sarah Rousey, and Liz Ford) sent a lot of the guys to their hotel rooms early, to pack and go home.

I think it's high time to let the ladies play in the U.S. Open, and let points garnered from it count for the WPA events for both ladies and men. It's only fair.

-Sean

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Just to play devils advocate, does anyone feel that it's reverse discrimination to have a wimmin only tour? After all, the WPBA is just that.

For the record, I have no problem with women playing in the Berhman US Open.

Eric

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" I am debating the positives as well as the negatives of this decision "

Maybe I'm short-sighted but can someone explain what the negatives are?

Last edited:

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JT:

You are definitely on top of news, friend!

I personally think it's about time for women in the U.S. Open. Those "this is my sandbox; that's your sandbox; never play in each other's sandbox" days of gender segregation in our sport should've been over long ago. Like you and I once agreed on in a past thread (methinks it was about the resistance displayed to Jeanette Lee getting the DCC Louis Roberts action aware), pool's been stuck in the 1950s for a long time.

I was at a recent Turning Stone -- two Turning Stones ago(?) -- where I had the pleasure of watching Allison Fisher play Ginky (George San Souci), and Allison absolutely ROASTED him, 9 - 0. Allison (and Karen Corr, and Sarah Rousey, and Liz Ford) sent a lot of the guys to their hotel rooms early, to pack and go home.

I think it's high time to let the ladies play in the U.S. Open, and let points garnered from it count for the WPA events for both ladies and men. It's only fair.

-Sean

Tap tap its time

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" I am debating the positives as well as the negatives of this decision "

This tournament should have been open a long time ago. I've had a few very frustrating conversations with Barry about this in the past. If he does open it up, I think many of the female players that play in it will experience the condescending nature he's expressed to me in our conversations.

I'm glad you used Turning Stone as an example. The tournament director there is awesome and (from my experience) was very respectful towards all the players, men and women.

Maybe I'm short-sighted but can someone explain what the negatives are?

Christina I have to agree with you. What could possibly be the negative about having the incredible women play in this one event. I mean me personally no offense to Earl and Scott Frost etc. but if I had to choose between watching them or someone like Yu Ram Cha, Allison Fischer, or Jasmin play I know where I am going.

Aside from that are you really going to tell me that the sponsorship opportunity wouldnt also be greater for this event with the addition of the women to the event?

Like i said i cant see a downside here. Unless of course the men are scared. lol

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
up and coming star !
martha clearwater 1917 05 issue of billiard mag..JPG

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I think it would be great to see a lot of the women along with the men we seldom see or hear about come over from China, Korea, Taiwan, and other countries to play in the US Open. For Barry to put an open letter out saying he’s thinking about letting them play, to me means he could be leaning strongly in that direction. I for one hope so. Johnnyt

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it would be great to see a lot of the women along with the men we seldom see or hear about come over from China, Korea, Taiwan, and other countries to play in the US Open. For Barry to put an open letter out saying he’s thinking about letting them play, to me means he could be leaning strongly in that direction. I for one hope so. Johnnyt

Why don't they just come over then and play in the Women's US Open? It is one of the only two scheduled events for a "tour" that so many constantly want to say the men should imitate and be jealous of.

swrooster

A HOTDOG ROAD PLAYER!!
Silver Member
A great idea to let women play...next they can vote...lol...hee hee...gosh I'm going to take a beating for that.

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
US Open

I'm going to take the heat on this one! The US Open is a men's only tournament and it should stay that way. The womem have thier own tour and they can have a women's US Open. The women want it both ways, they want to play in the men's tournaments, no problem but the men aren't welcome to play in the women pro events. Is this a double standard? Just my opinon

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like it and I always have. Pool is a unique sport in that men and women can compete on the same playing field, with no handicap required. I'd like to see all major events become OPEN to all qualified players. There is nothing more exciting than seeing a man and a woman do battle on the green. And we have so many women players who are well qualified to play against the men today.

It could be a huge boost to our sport professionally if this becomes the norm. I remember when we invited four women (Jean Balukas, Eva Laurance, Loree Jon Jones and Robin Dodson) to play in the Peter Vitalie Invitational in Los Angeles, way back in 1987. The place was packed for each of their matches. Unfortunately they all lost in the first round. But this is 2010 and many top women players will win matches, regardless of who they play.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Why stop at the US Open. Let the women compete for a spot on the Mosconi Cup Team accumulating BCA points.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
what kind of odds would someone want to bet on any lady winning this years Open? You must bet at least 500.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what kind of odds would someone want to bet on any lady winning this years Open? You must bet at least 500.

Barry said no women this year, maybe next year so this year a zillion to 1 and im still not betting. Next year 10,000-1 minimum depending on the entries.

JiantJack

I'm a nobody when it comes to pool so I will withhold my opinion, but I applaud Barry for involving the pool community at large and not making this decision in a vacuum.

SPetty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't they just come over then and play in the Women's US Open?
There is no women's open. The US Open Nine Ball that Barry Behrman runs is open to anyone with a penis that will pay the entry fee, even if they are only 7 years old. There is no such thing available to women.