Not a Foul, what do you do?

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well after reading the thread about people and calling or not calling a foul that got me to thinking about a recent play in league.

I am the type of person that has integrity and if I foul I will pick up the cue ball and personally hand it to you even if you are too busy to watch the game and see that I fouled.

That being said my Fiance, her son, and I decided to start playing league together. A little family bonding time so to speak. Everyone else that plays in this league has known me for years and knows what type of player I am. Heck even half of these players have even played in the league that I was running, and they all know that I know the rules and abide by them to the best of my abilities.

Anyway we are playing 8 ball in league, and I took a soft shot in the corner on the 4 ball, and it was a very tight cut! Because I still wanted a shot after that I hit it soft hoping to get shape on the 7 ball for the same corner after it hits the rail. I miscued (cause I was stupid! LOL) which caused me not to hit the 4 ball hard enough and it didn't go in the pocket. However the 7 ball contacts the rail and so does the cue ball, and I had shape if the dang 4 would have made it in the pocket! LOL The guy playing obviously wasn't watching cause he hears the miscue and immediately say's, "That's ball in had right?" I look at him funny and tell him no.

He then proceeds to argue that nothing hit a rail. I said yes the cue ball and the 7 ball both hit the rail. It wasn't until his partner finally told him the 7 ball hit the rail that he shut up and kept playing.

Normally when someone in league argues as much as this guy did I just let them have the ball in hand because this is a trophy league, and I am just playing for fun right now with the family. For some reason this guy always rubs me the wrong way and always tries to look for some advantage. However ball in hand would not have changed the outcome of this game as he isn't good enough to run out the 7 balls that were still on the table! (I was down to the 4,7, and 8 at this point) LOL

I really did loose my cool when he argued with me too, cause I told him to quit worrying about his rum and coke and watch the game! Of course I said a few choice words too. I don't really know why this guy gets to me like that when I know he is just a banger and not capable of beating me consistently. Has anyone else had someone like this bug them? Do you just give them ball in hand and avoid the argument, or do you argue till the end because you know your right?

Oklahoma Kid

Registered
Stick to your guns. If you didn't foul, you didn't foul. Remind him to pay attention and to concentrate on winning on the table, not with the rule book. If this happens a lot with this guy, I'd include a note to the league administrator.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stick to your guns. If you didn't foul, you didn't foul. Remind him to pay attention and to concentrate on winning on the table, not with the rule book. If this happens a lot with this guy, I'd include a note to the league administrator.

Yea, well unfortunately this league and the league operator is the reason I set out and started my own league. The only reason we are playing in this league right now is because my Fiance didn't want to play against the stiff competition at my league. (That night reminded me mostly of why I left this league to begin with! LOL)

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ever catch me on a pool table its 2000% for fun. If I foul they get whatever they say the rule is for that room. I hate extra curricular, do nothing house rules. I digress.

If a guys a jerk and always a jerk then I'd do exactly what you did. Enforce the rules and stand my ground. Otherwise I couldn't care less.

Oklahoma Kid

Registered
Well, that's an issue. But I still say stick to your guns. And I always think it's a good idea to document things, but that's probably just the lawyer in me talkin'. :wink:

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ever catch me on a pool table its 2000% for fun. If I foul they get whatever they say the rule is for that room. I hate extra curricular, do nothing house rules. I digress.

If a guys a jerk and always a jerk then I'd do exactly what you did. Enforce the rules and stand my ground. Otherwise I couldn't care less.

LOL so you too regress when someone is a complete jerk? LOL You make them know exactly what the rule is?

I had a feeling I would find some people doing exactly what I did. I try so hard to be a gentleman, and just have fun 100% of the time. No matter how tough the competition, and no matter if I am playing for the hell of it or playing in a big tourney. I just hate it when someone acts like that just to get an edge. Maybe I should see it as a compliment that he is so scared he can't play to my level? LMAO

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that's an issue. But I still say stick to your guns. And I always think it's a good idea to document things, but that's probably just the lawyer in me talkin'. :wink:

Awww You are a lawyer? I see you are not in Oklahoma anymore, what part are you from though? I got family in OK

Oklahoma Kid

Registered
Awww You are a lawyer? I see you are not in Oklahoma anymore, what part are you from though? I got family in OK

I'm originally from Tulsa, went to college at Oklahoma State in Stillwater (had the honor of watching Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas play on in the same game!). I went to law school in Virginia, then worked in Houston for several years before the debbil dragged me to the big city!

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL so you too regress when someone is a complete jerk? LOL You make them know exactly what the rule is?

I had a feeling I would find some people doing exactly what I did. I try so hard to be a gentleman, and just have fun 100% of the time. No matter how tough the competition, and no matter if I am playing for the hell of it or playing in a big tourney. I just hate it when someone acts like that just to get an edge. Maybe I should see it as a compliment that he is so scared he can't play to my level? LMAO
Yes I do tell them EXACTLY what the rule is. If I win or lose the argument a fun game suddenly becomes serious. About the only butt kicking I'm willing to get involved in at my age and 145lbs.

I do hold grudges too. Got kicked off a table by some ahole one time under a house rule of no practice if there's a game. He didn't ask to play just took the table. About 2 years later I met him in a Tournament in Chicago. I took it as the game of my career. Beat em while he's complaining the entire game about deliberate safety's, lucky shot this and that blah blah blah... It was wonderful.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I do tell them EXACTLY what the rule is. If I win or lose the argument a fun game suddenly becomes serious. About the only butt kicking I'm willing to get involved in at my age and 145lbs.

I do hold grudges too. Got kicked off a table by some ahole one time under a house rule of no practice if there's a game. He didn't ask to play just took the table. About 2 years later I met him in a Tournament in Chicago. I took it as the game of my career. Beat em while he's complaining the entire game about deliberate safety's, lucky shot this and that blah blah blah... It was wonderful.

Yea those type of revenge games are wonderful when you put it to them!

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm originally from Tulsa, went to college at Oklahoma State in Stillwater (had the honor of watching Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas play on in the same game!). I went to law school in Virginia, then worked in Houston for several years before the debbil dragged me to the big city!

Sweet! I got family in Waynoka, and Enid, and that part of OK. I don't remember all the cities.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
patience

This is why I allmost allways will take the time to discuss (as calmly as possible) why a shot was or was not a foul.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
If I know I'm in the right, I argue endlessly. If I have some doubt, I let it go. If my opponents are the same way (like the guy who didn't see your good hit) then there's usually no problems.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
If a neutral observer is not called over to watch the shot the arguement goes to the shooter. You said it wasn't a foul, explained why it wasn't a foul and pointed out that the opposing player wasn't even watching the table. Nuff said.

:cool:

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why I allmost allways will take the time to discuss (as calmly as possible) why a shot was or was not a foul.

And yes I normally do! Especially if it is someone trying to learn the rules, or someone that is cool and didn't see the shot.

However, when the guy is a jerk I don't know why I can't bite my tongue! LOL

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a neutral observer is not called over to watch the shot the arguement goes to the shooter. You said it wasn't a foul, explained why it wasn't a foul and pointed out that the opposing player wasn't even watching the table. Nuff said.

:cool:

Most people wouldn't have called an observer over for this shot. It was a no brainer shot, and there was nothing that should have been question. The only reason it got questioned is because he wasn't watching after I called the shot, and when he heard the miscue saw that the ball didn't go in he assumed that it was ball in had because the object ball did not go into the pocket.

Oh and anyone that really isn't a banger would have known that the trajectory of the cue ball would send it into the 7 ball and that they both would probably hit the rail! (But like I said this guy is a banger!)

Last edited:

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Personally, I wouldn't waste my breath. Give the loudmouth the ball and continue. Hopefully you run out the next time you step to the table.

Oklahoma Kid

Registered
Personally, I wouldn't waste my breath. Give the loudmouth the ball and continue. Hopefully you run out the next time you step to the table.

Breath is relatively cheap, though I don't really like wasting it either. Instead of giving the guy bih, explain the hit, explain the rule, and then continue shooting.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
On another note, sort of related... the foul in the original post wasn't debatable.

But for the ones that are, when you have a close split hit between two balls... there's a very very useful rule you can drag out to pretty much automatically shut down any debate. This one is specified under BCA and WPA rules.

When a split hit is too close to call... it goes in favor of the shooter, always.
So if your opponent expressed doubt... any doubt... that falls under the umbrella of too close to call, in my book. So I call it good.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules#26

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On another note, sort of related... the foul in the original post wasn't debatable.

But for the ones that are, when you have a close split hit between two balls... there's a very very useful rule you can drag out to pretty much automatically shut down any debate. This one is specified under BCA and WPA rules.

When a split hit is too close to call... it goes in favor of the shooter, always.
So if your opponent expressed doubt... any doubt... that falls under the umbrella of too close to call, in my book. So I call it good.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules#26

Yup I was aware of that rule, and that is the rule I used when running the BCA league I was running! LOL