Suggestions: adding a "military" division to my BCA league

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
I already have an 8 ball & a 9 ball division in my BCA league and have been asked to put together something for a rec center aboard one of the local Naval bases. Love to.

I have not been aboard the base to see the rec room but they have 9 foot tables that need some work that is supposed to be done. The guy that wants me to do it works aboard base & is familiar with the room - he thinks that 9 ball would work the best - we're talking about a lot of young players that will be new to pool.

Due to the transient nature of the sailors AND "duty" days I was thinking along the lines of just 2 man teams to start so we can get as many teams as possible together. I think we need to be really lose with the "sub" rule because there may be times when both team members will have duty & not be able to play - let 2 subs play for them.

The biggest issue I see is guys getting transferred then dealing fairly with the prize money.

Thought of just having the weekly fees be maybe only $5 then just using the money to get the CSI Team to come do an exhibition for the base that way the guys can compete and still get something cool out of it ??!!

Any suggestions.....

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Hey Meezer, I will be callin g you in the next day or so. Looking again to get to SD next month. :)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
How about a weekly tournament instead, if the base can't sustain steady teams? Individual players can choose to participate based on their schedule and availability. You can award cumulative points that can payoff at the end of the season.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
That is a really cool thing you're doing. The troops will appreciate it. I think 2-man teams will be great, possible even 3-man teams. Once word gets out about an internal league, it'll do well. It won't just be younger crowd, either. Believe me, all ages & rank of soldier/airman/sailor/marine play pool. The only pitfall I see with tourneys is skill level. Its hard to even handicap tourneys correctly where people won't get discouraged. I think a round robin league type thing would be great. You might get in touch with the local businesses & see if maybe they'd sponsor out some gift cards & such. Again, very cool project :)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I already have an 8 ball & a 9 ball division in my BCA league and have been asked to put together something for a rec center aboard one of the local Naval bases. Love to.

I have not been aboard the base to see the rec room but they have 9 foot tables that need some work that is supposed to be done. The guy that wants me to do it works aboard base & is familiar with the room - he thinks that 9 ball would work the best - we're talking about a lot of young players that will be new to pool.

Due to the transient nature of the sailors AND "duty" days I was thinking along the lines of just 2 man teams to start so we can get as many teams as possible together. I think we need to be really lose with the "sub" rule because there may be times when both team members will have duty & not be able to play - let 2 subs play for them.

The biggest issue I see is guys getting transferred then dealing fairly with the prize money.

Thought of just having the weekly fees be maybe only $5 then just using the money to get the CSI Team to come do an exhibition for the base that way the guys can compete and still get something cool out of it ??!!

Any suggestions.....

I am located near Ft. Lewis / McCord Joint Army Air Base, I am also retired Military and I have to agree with you it could become very tricky when you consider troop movement / reassignment. Here locally I have BCA and APA Military teams that are playing for my pool room in the traveling leagues.

I think what you are trying to do would be a very admirable thing for the soldiers, however, I think you would be better suited setting and running tournaments first and seeing how that go's. I ran tournaments on FT. Lewis for a number of years, we even had a 14-1 tournament and it went over very well. No matter what you do the individual running the recreation center can help provide sponsorship from many many sources that can make for some nice prizes.

Good Luck

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
How about a weekly tournament instead, if the base can't sustain steady teams? Individual players can choose to participate based on their schedule and availability. You can award cumulative points that can payoff at the end of the season.

I believe thay are wanting BCA sanctioning - that way if some of the guys are still in the states in May they can at least go & play singles if they want.

I think a weekly tourney for about 1 month would be a good idea to get the word out about the league starting - Thanks.:)

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
That is a really cool thing you're doing. The troops will appreciate it. I think 2-man teams will be great, possible even 3-man teams. Once word gets out about an internal league, it'll do well. It won't just be younger crowd, either. Believe me, all ages & rank of soldier/airman/sailor/marine play pool. The only pitfall I see with tourneys is skill level. Its hard to even handicap tourneys correctly where people won't get discouraged. I think a round robin league type thing would be great. You might get in touch with the local businesses & see if maybe they'd sponsor out some gift cards & such. Again, very cool project :)

I already have several military guys in my 8 ball and/or 9 ball divisions. They are typically retired or at least E5 & above, live off base & have wheels. They are anywhere between OK to very good players.

What we are looking at for the rec room is probably mostly E2-E4 living aboard & no transportation. Most will be new to pool so we're thinking of keeping it straight up no handicap 9 ball.

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
I am located near Ft. Lewis / McCord Joint Army Air Base, I am also retired Military and I have to agree with you it could become very tricky when you consider troop movement / reassignment. Here locally I have BCA and APA Military teams that are playing for my pool room in the traveling leagues.

I think what you are trying to do would be a very admirable thing for the soldiers, however, I think you would be better suited setting and running tournaments first and seeing how that go's. I ran tournaments on FT. Lewis for a number of years, we even had a 14-1 tournament and it went over very well. No matter what you do the individual running the recreation center can help provide sponsorship from many many sources that can make for some nice prizes.

Good Luck

I'm in San Diego, CA which has a few large military bases. I do think it is a good idea to run some tournaments first to get the word out for the league.

The guy that asked me about doing this is familiar with my 8 & 9 ball divisions and thinks the guys at the rec center would not be competitive in either so we want to see what would work the best for the guys & go from there. Want to keep the cost down also - was thinking that we could get the Morale & Rec fund to pick up the tab to get the CSI Team here.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Military and the BCA pool league.

I believe thay are wanting BCA sanctioning - that way if some of the guys are still in the states in May they can at least go & play singles if they want.

I think a weekly tourney for about 1 month would be a good idea to get the word out about the league starting - Thanks.:)

If I'm not mistaken the military guys and girls can purchase a BCA membership and play in the single events with no problem and no team.

If someone covered this point in a later post, mea culpa..... Holly Ryan with CSI can provide better and more current info on this than me.

JoeyA