Aiming Voodoo Video

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well, too bad the thread got closed.

So let's try one more time. Negativity will not prevail.

From Cleary;

So a while back, I said I would make a little video about how I aim. I had to film something at the pool room yesterday, so I took ten minutes to explain this while I had things set up.

I learned this from Ron V. two years ago. I didn't spend a lot of time with Ron, really only learned some basics while I was filming a video for him. Right away, I knew it worked, but I didn't feel good using it. He teaches pivoting your hips while you are down on the shot. I don't really like moving while I'm down, I feel it throws off my balance (cause I'm so fat I guess) but I kinda just stopped using it after I learned it because of this.
I also had a dominate eye issue so I was never really pivoting to center ball and that makes it hard to do anything.

So after I fixed the Dominate eye issue (I hope its fixed) I caught myself playing with this system again. But pivoting before I was down on my shot. I also came to realize that I was pocketing balls better when I pivoted before I was down on a shot, rather than when I was down.

I setup on my line of aim, as described below and in video, then just fall into my stance to center ball.

I set up a few easy shots, to explain the 3 different setups I use to cut a ball in (depending on cut angle). I know most of these shots can be made with your eyes clothes, but the principals apply to all shots, all over the table.

LINES OF AIM:
Thick cuts (about 1°-45°)
ETE.png

thinner cuts (about 46°-80°)
ETC.png

thin cuts (about 81°-90°)
ETOE.png

The video:
http://vimeo.com/17712024" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/17712024

Also, for "thick cuts" and "thinner cuts", I found you can pivot PAST center to use english. If you have a "thinner cut" and you want to use english, setup for a "thick cut", pivot past center to 2-3 tips of english, and the ball goes. Same applies for "thin cuts". Setup for "thinner cuts" and pivot to english.

Also, as I explain in the video, you can bank with this system as well.

If the cut shot calls for a "thinner cut", setup for a "thick cut" and pivot to center. You should be in line for the bank. After a while, you start to really see this line and banks fall real good. Works for all types of banks. Play with the speed and see what works. The same rules with english apply to banks. The table is full of different possibilities that I figure out all the time, try em out.

Also, I don't want to argue about "this doesn't work" or whatever. If you are just trying to pick a fight, I'm not biting. If people have legit questions on how I aim a specific shot, I'll answer the best I can. I'm not going to film more if you have "shots that won't work" or whatever you scientist come up with. I've yet to come across a shot that just doesn't work with this system.

So hopefully people try this out and like it. The hardest part is getting the pivot down right. Lining up while standing, then falling into centerball or english works best for me. Hopefully someone makes a ball they normally don't make because of this. - Andrew "Big Tony" Cleary

Reactions: JAM

ThePoliteSniper

Fruitshop Owner
Silver Member
Cleary:

CueTable Help

A and B are both thick cut shots with the same distance from the cueball but with different potting angles. This means, using edge-to-edge the pivot for shot A must be different from the pivot for shot B. How do you know how to pivot for each shot? How do you adjust?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cleary:

CueTable Help

A and B are both thick cut shots with the same distance from the cueball but with different potting angles. This means, using edge-to-edge the pivot for shot A must be different from the pivot for shot B. How do you know how to pivot for each shot? How do you adjust?

It appears to be ete for shot a and etc for shot b. Always pivot to center QB to learn the system.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cleary:

CueTable Help

You can move your bridge forward for "B".

champ2107

Banned
Having no cte/ete/pivot thread on the first page is like getting home from the drive through and pulling out your double cheeseburger and they gave you a veggie burger by mistake :angry: good job JB :thumbup:

rhyno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cleary:

CueTable Help

its all in the eye position so you see the correct edge.try it on a table rotating your eyes at the line up of the shot.if its less angle your eyes are more inside heading towards 30 degress for 90/90 its to the outside for me.
everyones eyes are different though.........

rhyno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cleary:

CueTable Help

by the way the top shot i could prob make 90/90 even though the object ball is less than 2 diamonds apart.the lower shot is more likely 90/c with the eyes inside:wink:
difficult to say on a 2d diagram

themack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched your video and i observed something and i'm not sure how it's supposed to be. At 1:16 JUST before you say "into place" you have your shot set up the edge to edge. Now, you say its a pivot to center, but right at the exact point, you slide your whole bridge hand to the right about an inch to get to the contact point. Is it supposed to be a pivot with just the right hand or are you supposed to move your bridge hand the way you do?

Thanks.

rhyno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched your video and i observed something and i'm not sure how it's supposed to be. At 1:16 JUST before you say "into place" you have your shot set up the edge to edge. Now, you say its a pivot to center, but right at the exact point, you slide your whole bridge hand to the right about an inch to get to the contact point. Is it supposed to be a pivot with just the right hand or are you supposed to move your bridge hand the way you do?

Thanks.
because he's bridging on the rail he's adjusted his bridge to be inline with the cue after the pivot.
after youve pivoted your eyes are aiming on line so you can readjust your bridge as necessary

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Thanks.

In the beginning of the video, I tell you my pivot is happening in my back hand, not my bridge hand.

Most of the the time, my front hand isn't even touching yet while I pivot. When you are playing a set, you are more on auto pilot and doing things a little more natural than when you are on camera trying to explain something for the first time.

So that said, yes, the way I do this system it is ok for me to move my bridge hand. The only thing that matters to me is where my back hand starts and ends at center.

I can use this system playing jackup, though like normal shots, I don't blame my aim when I miss one handed.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Cleary:

CueTable Help

Its hard to find in that mess of a thread, but I've stated this several times.

RULE OF THUMB:
If the cueball and object ball are about a diamond or less in distance, the rules change. 90% of shots that close are ETC, not ETE alignment. Only nearly straight in shots, about 1°-7ish° are ETE shots.

That said, these shots both look ETC shots.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Shots like this are always ETC.

CueTable Help

When I show people this system, I come to this type of shot and their ears perk up. I setup shots like this and make them pretty easily with the pivot. I actually prefer to pivot close range shots at my bridge.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Also, for the record, this is Ron's system, not mine. I just do things a little different. I don't claim to know everything about it, I'm sure there are certain shots I miss consistently because I don't know a rule to them. But I don't recall missing the same shot over and over.

I switched back to using this system just a few months ago and have been getting better and better using it since. Now if there is a system for not scratching, please teach me!

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Patrick, I've been patient with you.
Stay out of this thread. That *is* a warning.

You don't believe it works...good for you.
Who cares?

Let them talk about what they wish and keep your nose clean unless you are asked to participate.

I've pulled several threads due to negativity and fighting.

Next, I will pull posters.

S

skip

All I care to say it works for me. I just keep on fooling with it. It gives me more confidence in my shot making. Cornie but its the best thing since sliced bread. A total different way to see a sight picture. I just pocket more balls consistently. Thank you, Skip :thumbup:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Also, for the record, this is Ron's system, not mine. I just do things a little different. I don't claim to know everything about it, I'm sure there are certain shots I miss consistently because I don't know a rule to them. But I don't recall missing the same shot over and over.

I switched back to using this system just a few months ago and have been getting better and better using it since. Now if there is a system for not scratching, please teach me!

Big Tony,
You bring up an interesting point. In the past, all of the people that use pivot aiming systems seemed to be very good shot makers but they could not play shape and when they really needed to come with a great shape shot they were unable to do so.

In the past, I have just ignored all of these pivoting systems because I never found a person who pivoted who could beat me. That changed when I met Stan Shuffett, Landon and of course Stevie Moore.

The scratching problem is just another piece of the puzzle and Buddy Hall's clock system can be useful with learning how to play precision shape. Another solution is to take Stan Shuffett's Foundation Course. :wink:

CueTable Help

JoeyA