Meucci Collectors

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on....

Come on........

I see you hiding around that corner, peaking your head out.

Don't be ashamed of your Meucci collection. Post your pics proudly for all to enjoy.

Repeat after me, "I'm not ashamed. I like and collect Meucci Originals (meaning the old/good stuff)."

Ok, now lets see some pics. Trust me, you'll feel much better about yourself. Keeping those Meucci's locked up in shame is only going to hurt your ulcer.

I mean, Hall, Varner, Rempe, Joyner, Davenport, Reyes, Sigel, Jones, Strickland and many others all played with a Meucci at some point. They couldn't be all bad....could they? ;)

deep

OFF THE CHAIN
Silver Member
Well i only own one Meucci so i'm not really a collector but i do play with this cue when i'm out having some beers and shooting some pool. If anyone could give me some info on this cue i'd be very grateful as i can't seem to find any info on it anywhere! The only things i know is its a Jim Rempe model!

Sorry about the crappy pics, had to take them on my cell phone as my sis has my digi cam. :mad:

Attachments

• DSC00142.JPG
    DSC00142.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 4,166
  • DSC00143.JPG
    DSC00143.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,385
  • DSC00144.JPG
    DSC00144.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 3,471
  • DSC00147.JPG
    DSC00147.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,241

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've got a couple. I'm reasonably good at identifying and dating Meucci's.

While some collectors joke snobbishly about Meucci's, I started off collecting them and I know that one of the largest collectors in the world started off by collecting them and still has an enormous collection. I believe there are more Meucci collectors than any other brand. Because they are plentiful and come in great variety and themes, they are a good, fun introduction into the world of collecting cues.

Bob Meucci was also recently inducted into the International Cue Makers Hall of Fame.

They might be a little cheesy, but I like the theme cues the best, like the Gambler, the Road Agent, and the Airplane Cue. My rarest Meucci is an Earl Strickland - first copy of a particular model that I believe is unique.

Here's a pic - I've sold some of these but still have some:

Meucci_s_op_800x543.jpg

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 4th one over. The Diamond. I've had one
for 25 yrs. & it is a GREAT cue.

TATE said:

While some collectors joke snobbishly about Meucci's, I started off collecting them and I know that one of the largest collectors in the world started off by collecting them and still has an enormous collection. I believe there are more Meucci collectors than any other brand. Because they are plentiful and come in great variety and themes, they are a good, fun introduction into the world of collecting cues.

Bob Meucci was also recently inducted into the International Cue Makers Hall of Fame.

They might be a little cheesy, but I like the theme cues the best, like the Gambler, the Road Agent, and the Airplane Cue. My rarest Meucci is an Earl Strickland - first copy of a particular model that I believe is unique.

Meucci_s_op_800x543.jpg

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci Cues

Hey TATE,

AWESOME collection of Originals :cool:

Here are a couple pics of 2 that I have kept which I really like....my favorite is the 95-17 or OL-1 with the MOP diamonds and dots ;)

Both of these have an open/uncoated wrap....which I like the feel of much better :)

100_1021.jpg

100_1022.jpg

Anybody got a Meucci bumper laying around for an Original two pointer? :D

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Ken,

I have extra bumpers - the standard type. Are you looking for the rounded one? Please measure the hole - there were two different sizes, even back then, and let me know what you're looking for.

Chris

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
hey Tate.. that Oldies , the 8th one from the left its like a 6 pointer.. that is one of my favorite ones.. the windows in the butt are sweet and the points look great. evertime i see one for sale i want to buy it..

nice collection by the way..

chris

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Nice pic's guys. The old guy who taught me to shoot had the one with the Chess pieces on the butt. I always loved that cue.:)

titlistsucker

Deceased
TATE said:

Meucci_s_op_800x543.jpg

yeah.. "that" largest collector happens to be my biggest nemesis in ebay bidding... and if u are the one who intro him to collect classic cues, rather than just stick to moochi cues.. oh boy Chris i am gonna skin u alive!! i swear!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

titlistsucker

Deceased
kekeke... a fav of mine was a meucci call the "day" agent. its similar to the road agent only its theme is more to the daytime. nice.. havent see one ard lately..

Bgrds
Raist

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Ol-1 Diamond is 25 yrs old, absolutely
straight, original tip & ferrule. I paid
about $300 from Mueller Billiards.
Great stick for playing one hole. I
have 3 other sticks that are great
for one pocket: Bender, Kikel, &
Olney, but I like my old Meucci just
as well. Mine has the coated wrap, however.

Here are a couple pics of 2 that I have kept which I really like....my favorite is the 95-17 or OL-1 with the MOP diamonds and dots ;)

Both of these have an open/uncoated wrap....which I like the feel of much better :)

100_1021.jpg

100_1022.jpg

Anybody got a Meucci bumper laying around for an Original two pointer? :D[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
deep said:
Well i only own one Meucci so i'm not really a collector but i do play with this cue when i'm out having some beers and shooting some pool. If anyone could give me some info on this cue i'd be very grateful as i can't seem to find any info on it anywhere! The only things i know is its a Jim Rempe model!

Sorry about the crappy pics, had to take them on my cell phone as my sis has my digi cam. :mad:

this cue was very similar to my first custom cue. i got it back in 1982 and just remember loving it. i traded it for a plain runde schon in 83'. anyway meucci made decent cues then.

srober40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Do you know what year Meucci changed the marking from Meucci Originals to the current Meucci marking?

Thanks,

Scott

BTW - Your website is an AWESOME source of information

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
srober40 said:
Chris,

Do you know what year Meucci changed the marking from Meucci Originals to the current Meucci marking?

Thanks,

Scott

BTW - Your website is an AWESOME source of information

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the kind words about my site. This feedback energizes me to add more stuff to it.

The single best source for old catalogs and so forth on old Meucci's is here:

http://www.budgetcues.com/archive/

Budget Cues has archived most of the old catalogs.

Concerning the old logo, there are actually two different dates that overlap. The last series to use the old logo was the 88 series made until the early 1990's, and the Oldie Series. The Oldies were made with both the old logo and the new logo. My understanding was they had two different factories going on at the time as they were moving to a larger facility, so the one factory used the old stamping and the newer one used the "new" logo which was created in 1990.

Here are some of the clues to dating a Meucci besides finding the catalog:

Brass pin - very early cue, probably before 1976.

Small, round bumper - pre-1984. The 84 series photo showed the small round bumper in the catalog, but there were actually very few produced with them. The small bumper also had a smaller hole than the standard 3/4".

Old logo, Jimmy Rempe's, David Howards, etc - pre 1990

The old cues will not have any rounded over, pantographed inlays at all. Many use real ebony, abalone, and MOP unlike the newer cues which are crappy-ass plastic. The first cues I saw that had rounded over inlays was about 1992.

Chris

srober40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Thanks for the information. A friend of mine has the "Road Agent/City Lights" cue with the old logo. I was thinking it was from the early 90's.

In my experience with Meucci cues it seems like the inlays pop up over time (or the wood shrinks). When you touch the cue you can feel the inlays. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Scott

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
srober40 said:
Chris,

Thanks for the information. A friend of mine has the "Road Agent/City Lights" cue with the old logo. I was thinking it was from the early 90's.

In my experience with Meucci cues it seems like the inlays pop up over time (or the wood shrinks). When you touch the cue you can feel the inlays. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

Yes, it happens, but in most cases it's not the actual inlays that are popping up. What's going on is the glue under the inlays swells the finish or the finish itself gets squeezed from the cracks over time. Believe it or not, it is just the thickness of a hair (feels worse than it is) and in most cases, it can be polished right out without a refinish. I send mine to Scot Sherbine for a clean up - I think he only charges $30 or so to polish out a cue.

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
srober40 said:
Chris,

Thanks,

Scott

By the way, that old logo Road Agent is one of the "keepers". It's from the mid to late 1980's and is one of their most famous designs. They made a lot or they would be worth a lot more money. Mine was never sold or played with - it is a "new" old logo Road Agent.

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
Nice pic's guys. The old guy who taught me to shoot had the one with the Chess pieces on the butt. I always loved that cue.:)

I have a feeling Bob copied that design from Paul Huebler. The Huebler Ivory Chess cue is a famous design. Meucci worked for Huebler for a little while after leaving National Cues, so there was a lot of Huebler influence on his designs.

Early Huelber's had clear coat over the wrap too and use the same pin as Meucci did when he first started.

Chris

srober40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

Again thanks for the info.

The one my friend picked up is in decent condition, but is in need of a touch up. (He picked it up for less than what many cuemakers charge for a shaft.) Yes I am jealous. I have never owned any Meucci cues, but some of the older designs are attractive.

When I first became interested in pool it seemed like there were two groups, people who liked Meucci and people that liked McDermott. May have been a function of age, money, and location. Location being there were few places that sold cues. Money and age being Meucci and McDermott cues were affordable for a high school/college age person. It just so happened the place I loafed at sold McDermotts and did not sell Meuccis.

I would guess a very large percentage of pool players started out with Meuccis, McDermotts, and Vikings as their first "real" cue.

Next progression seemed to be Joss or Schon...and after that it seemed to go in the direction of custom.

Scott