Ping Pong on tv!!! Huge prize

midstroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear what your saying. My thought was i can never find billiards on tv. But i find ping pong or bowling.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just cant believe im watching this. Never would have guessed $100k purse.

Don't know where the program originated from , but table tennis is very popular in Europe , especially eastern Europe and China and other Asian countries. We had a ping pong table where i worked at for 11 years and we played at breaks and after work . Wish we would have had a pool table but it wouldn't have held up to all the moving and the knuckleheads that i worked with .

More power to them , i'd bet the prize money was put up by a non American company.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Its not really that suprising. Ping pong is really popular outside of the US. Every Jr. high and high school in Japan, China, Taiwan, and probably Korea has a ping pong team.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not really that suprising. Ping pong is really popular outside of the US. Every Jr. high and high school in Japan, China, Taiwan, and probably Korea has a ping pong team.

Ping Pong is a great sport played by millions. I played with the VA Jr champ in college and got pretty good and really liked it. I never beat him one game.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bet those ping pong players are complaining about all the money there is in Pool! They only get to play for 100K with a $10,000 first prize and the pool players have tournaments with 250K, and a first prize of $40,000! So unfair to all those hard working ping pong players. :frown:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I bet those ping pong players are complaining about all the money there is in Pool! They only get to play for 100K with a $10,000 first prize and the pool players have tournaments with 250K, and a first prize of $40,000! So unfair to all those hard working ping pong players. :frown:

Don't worry Jay, I hear there is a new organization, APPP (Association of Ping Pong Professionals), they will set things right with a little good ol' fashioned diplomacy. :eek:

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a great sport (ping pong).....its amazing the success they have with those new after market low deflection handles:D:D:D

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High tech paddles

Its a great sport (ping pong).....its amazing the success they have with those new after market low deflection handles:D:D:D
Customised paddles is way beyond what I thought they were at.A bit like tips,they have different surfaces/skins/padding for the style play and conditions. Like any sport, eventually the science gets involved along with high speed cameras.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dang it Jay. I was looking forward to wallowing in another self pity thread. You ruined my night now.:D

mmwtdh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They should boycott..............

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason...I know your post was tongue in cheek, but ping pong has national federations in every country it's played in (including here in the USA...USTTA). They all play by the same rules, and some even :eek: support players financially! Pool could likely learn a few things from ping pong.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Don't worry Jay, I hear there is a new organization, APPP (Association of Ping Pong Professionals), they will set things right with a little good ol' fashioned diplomacy. :eek:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Jason...I know your post was tongue in cheek, but ping pong has national federations in every country it's played in (including here in the USA...USTTA). They all play by the same rules, and some even :eek: support players financially! Pool could likely learn a few things from ping pong.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

In all seriousness, Scott, I don't know why someone/group doesn't study similar sports and try to model pool after them. When I mean similar sports, I mean primarily individual sports. Team sports are a totally different beast I think.

When I'm talking about the someone to do this, I'm talking about those who it is in their best interest. Primarily the players, but anyone with the organizational skills, resources and structure to build it.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's Table Tennis not ping pong. Mentally you have to think fast. I would lose 10 pounds playing in tournaments. Never made pro but put in a lot of hours practicing.

I'm with you as I also would rather see a good Pool / Billiards match on the telly. Oh and how often do you see Table Tennis on a sports channel? Twice a year tops.

JMHO

Just cant believe im watching this. Never would have guessed $100k purse.

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its because nations with a lot of influence have strong table tennis teams. its so popular in germany and china, but also other countries (these two being the strongest among taiwan etc), plus it looks more like a sport because people are actually moving :lmao:

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Last time I lived in San Diego, they had a facility that cost 30 bucks a year that had excellent tables and was open most nights. Even the walls were colored to have better contrast. Fantastic deal for a player. It was in Balboa park, the other half of the large room was for badminton.

Guys would be glueing new surfaces on, little asian guys darting around making incredible shots,...

I didn't lose a game the last three months at a job in Georgia, I was easily one of the very worst players in San Diego. They serve, I hit it back too high, they smash it back at me at 100 miles an hour and I go chase the ball. Still fun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKGH2tCMkU

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bud green...A little 'fun fact' about ping pong. It is the highest speed playing sport known. The ping pong ball leaves the paddle at near 240 mph...for about an inch! Obviously it slows way down very quickly! I had always thought it was jai alai (sp.?)!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

They serve, I hit it back too high, they smash it back at me at 100 miles an hour and I go chase the ball. Still fun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKGH2tCMkU