Open or Closed?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Move your knuckle, I can see the finish line...

To boil it all down to its most simplistic form (can there be such a thing?), there are people like Sean who have disciplined themselves such that they are not distracted whatsoever by their index finger looped around the shaft when using a closed bridge. They feel no disadvantage with respect to sighting down the shaft for various reasons. Those reasons include the minds ability to repair broken images and the fact that no matter how we contort, we are positioned above our cues. Also, likely adding to their comfort is that they have put in the time necessary to perfect their closed bridges and are, therefore, appropriately confident with them. (How’m I doin’ Sean? )

Then there are people who, like me, use an open bridge whenever possible (I'm guessing around 70% of the time for me), also, I’m assuming, it is done for various reasons, but perhaps chiefly, because we feel we get a better view, rightly or wrongly, scientifically sound or not. And, yes, alternative reasons for using an open bridge include that it is, indeed, a simpler bridge to use along with being quite effective for many shots.

Speaking now only for myself, the simplicity of the open bridge takes a far back seat to its functionality. In short, I find that it works very well for me. As previously stated, my choice to use a closed bridge is reserved for power stroke shots, big draw, and the like, where securing the shaft with a looped index finger provides the needed stability.

Besides the many players who fall somewhere in-between, I am also well aware that there are players who are much further out on the fringes, and one, literally.

I’ve marveled watching SVB as he uses his tall closed bridge from the very outer borders of a top rail. Then there’s Allison Fisher, who plays pretty much full open bridge.

Who can argue with the successes that these two opposite-bridging champions have achieved. This tells me there is room for more than one view on this subject; yes, pun intended.

I, too, have enjoyed our exchange here. And I readily admit that I’ve learned some interesting things. Sean, you are a sharp young man, that’s for sure. :cool:

Thanks to Mr. Brumback, kmcphee, pushout, Chinchilla, Cali, Cmilian, brandon, pt109, Walrus, DPP, and everyone else who chimed in. :thumbup2:

I have one last bit of business on this thread but probably won’t be able to get to it tonight. Until then, the dead horses will have to tell each other jokes or something.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking the use of the open bridge in snooker has less to do with uninterrupted sight lines as it does with being appropriate for the more conical taper of a snooker cue.

This is a good point I hadn't thought of. This definitely helps me see the other side of the argument better. Cheers for that.

I'll say on a less analytical level, I "feel" better when using a closed bridge in general. Say on just a simple 9 ball shot perhaps laying on the spot, I have to cut it maybe 20 degrees with a little low outside. I just feel WAY more accurate, I think because I feel i'm going to hit the cb more accurately. Wait, wasn't I arguing in favor of open bridges earlier?

I'd say I use at least 90% closed myself. I tend to use open bridges on high ball shots, and rolling shots hit near the center. Does anybody else have this tendency? Sometimes though, I get a shot that my grandma could fire in left handed. On those I refuse to waste the extra ATP needed to wrap my finger around the cue. Cheers to all.

Last edited:

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one last bit of business on this thread but probably won’t be able to get to it tonight. Until then, the dead horses will have to tell each other jokes or something.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Best,
Brian kc

WhY did the chicken cross the road!?

Last edited:

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
Closed or open?

I use both open and closed. I never even think about what bridge I'm going to use. I wish the rest of my game was that automatic. This thread probably has sharked me now. I'll be thinking what type of bridge to use for each shot. Johnnyt

I was just thinking the same thing LOL

Anyway I use a closed bridge unless i'm shooting over a ball. I'm more stable with a closed bridge & 11 mm tip. If i'm using my 12.5 tip it probably wouldn't matter if i used an open bridge.

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C.Milian:

I neglected to include you in my thanks for bringing civility, intelligence, and respect into this thread. But you're definitely one of the people keeping it on track, and I thank you. (You can imagine how this thread could spiral out of control with zealots from either side of the open/closed bridge topic.)

As for the discussion and holy grail thing, actually, there might be some truth to the "cat out of the bag" thing. Some really good information is coming out from a number of folks, IMHO. I myself am sharing my observations about the "V" channel thing, which had its catalyst when I was sitting outside on the back patio one day, and looked down at my left hand as it was resting on the patio chair's armrest. I was pencil sketching the scenery out there that day, and suddenly had this revelation about hand bridges and pool. (Don't ask -- I have no idea why I went from nature/scenery to pool hand bridges.) I sketched a lot of notes and drawings at that moment, and still have them. I shared some of those revelations here. I do hope they're useful!

-Sean

Ah, dosen't bother me. What bothers me is JB is from the south and he never heard the term walk. (whispering) prolly itn't Johny.

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
There are three things you look at when aiming a shot: The cue ball, the object ball and the ferrule. When you are stretching for a shot using a closed bridge, the ferrule disappears from sight on your back stroke. The open bridge is thus better for lining up your shot. I picked up using the open bridge unconsciously while playing on a team with the late Jimmy Scrima back in the early '90s. Since then I use the open bridge for pretty much all shots except for the break and long power draw shots. If your stroke "gets away" from you with an open bridge, you need to work on your stroke, not your bridge.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
The plot thickens... ;)

Found this thread from 2010 asking the very same question, open or closed?

See the answers given by two prominent az member/instructors regarding sightlines and rifles, posts #2 and #29.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=202864&highlight=giraffe

Also, may I introduce you to my good friend, Buddy "The Rifleman" Hall. :p :grin: :smile:

pt109 responded: KC....don't wanna pull a 'Tolstoy' on you guys...I could wear out a key
board on this subject.
I will say this....unlike shooting a gun, there are more targets to consider
at pool...the cue hits the cue-ball, the cue-ball hits an object-ball, and
the object-ball hopefully hits a pocket.And you have cue-cloth-english-
humidity-non standard conditions-tip shape and hardness and many other
things to consider.
So, if you're LINING UP, you're not understanding the complexity of the
situation.
To me,aiming is understanding.
One needs basics to start with, but you gotta move on.

When I'm betting all my cash at 1-hole and I'm jacked over a ball, with
one foot on the floor and one knee on the table, and I gotta hit with low
right and draw the ball out of a kiss......thinking about how to line up and
what a proper stance is...will have you dumpster-diving for your next meal.

...gotta feeling some day you and Sean and I will be discussing this at
a table....regards to you and Sean

pt;

You can "go Tolstoy" anytime you want. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. :thumbup:

I do, however, have a minor disagreement with what you said above, but it's probably just symantics. Unless I'm caroming, I feel like I have just one target. Determining that one target comes from, as you said, "understanding" many things such as subsequent paths and all of the variables - the conditions, equipment, etc. But once everything is considered, and hopefully understood, for me there is but one target where whitey either hits an object ball or a cushion (in the case of a kickshot). Even when attempting a complicated three ball combo, it is pared down to one target where whitey needs to strike the first ball. Again, it may just be symantics.

I am with you 100% on the need to move past the basics. And, good Lord, I hope I'm there now after 40+ years of playing. ;)

To be able to process all of the info that you refer to, and to instinctively know exactly what to do without the need for protractors or phone aps, is what I consider to be one of the most beautiful aspects of the game. And I think probably you do, too.

Your, you better not get too stuck on stance or you may end up "dumpster diving" for your next meal comment, was brilliant. To be perfectly honest, I haven't ever been in that kind of a situation where the stakes were like that. But I think I can imagine the pressure of such a situation.

I believe it all comes down to instinctive play and I feel like I know precisely what's needed on any shot that comes up in rotation games and 8 ball. The mental game I like to think I have down cold; spin, speed, position play, the patterns, all of it, he said, humbly. Now, did anyone see where I left my execution? :D Yep, that's the killer...

I left out 14.1 which I haven't played much of over the last 25 years and I have only recently started to try out some 1 pocket. I can easily see the potential for addiction to this game. :smile:

Regarding you, pt, Sean and I, being able to get together some time, that would be terrific. I know you are up the road a little ways so please know that if you were ever of the mind to come down, you will have a guest room available to you here at Sunnyside. :thumbup:

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are three things you look at when aiming a shot: The cue ball, the object ball and the ferrule. When you are stretching for a shot using a closed bridge, the ferrule disappears from sight on your back stroke. The open bridge is thus better for lining up your shot. I picked up using the open bridge unconsciously while playing on a team with the late Jimmy Scrima back in the early '90s. Since then I use the open bridge for pretty much all shots except for the break and long power draw shots. If your stroke "gets away" from you with an open bridge, you need to work on your stroke, not your bridge.

Oh boy. This has to be true? Can you tell me how sure you are about this?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh boy. This has to be true? Can you tell me how sure you are about this?

Matter of opinion. I look at the tip, not the ferrule. So the ferrule disappears when pulling the cue on the backstroke, so what? If you're looking at the ferrule, you're not looking at the shot. Again, other than tip placement, I'm not looking at the shaft at all, unless you're sighting down the shaft, which I don't do. I'm looking back and forth between the object ball and the cue ball, focusing on the object ball just before pulling the trigger.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Matter of opinion. I look at the tip, not the ferrule. So the ferrule disappears when pulling the cue on the backstroke, so what? If you're looking at the ferrule, you're not looking at the shot. Again, other than tip placement, I'm not looking at the shaft at all, unless you're sighting down the shaft, which I don't do. I'm looking back and forth between the object ball and the cue ball, focusing on the object ball just before pulling the trigger.

"But-but-but, Mr. Batting Instructor, when I swing the bat, it disappears behind my head on the wind-up. Shouldn't I be looking at the bat as it travels behind my head while I'm winding up for the swing?"

;)

-Sean

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was just kidding, I thought it's just the poster that has this problem...and Brumback and Chicken. I don't have any sighting problem.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"but-but-but, mr. Batting instructor, when i swing the bat, it disappears behind my head on the wind-up. Shouldn't i be looking at the bat as it travels behind my head while i'm winding up for the swing?"

;)

-sean

aaacccckkkk!!!!!!

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the answer should be obvious in this case.

..the smell of rotting horse flesh was enormous....:yikes:

And...a shaft connected to his head....sorry. :eek:

I laughed when I first thought of it cuz a picture of a chicken with his arms raised walking across the street.....

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually on second thought....this can be one of the few times you can open your bridge. And this is just my humble opinion boys.....my humblest of humbleness (bow).