sponsor

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
i didnt want to sound like a leech and some of the guys made me feel like a grub which i'm not!.

Ah, I see. Now you're putting it back on us. You ask for free equipment. You don't get the responses that you were hoping for and now you're feeling bad and its our fault.

You know what bud. I sold my tractor and trailer unit. I financed my lathes, wood, you name it, I bought it. I just do repairs. I play with a $100 cue I bought off of EBay. You should as well. I fixed it up and its the nutz. If you're such a great player, you don't need a free custom. Make do with what you have.

BTW. Those are pretty nice looking cues that you have in your Avatar pic. Can you explain those. Are they yours? If so, it doesn't look like you need any help. Or are you just a poser, pretending that they are yours?

its very tough here if your not in the loop they make it tough!

Whos they may I ask. I mean, the ones making it tough on you.
People are going out of their way to make life rough for you?

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
frankie cologne l.i open 1st many other open tournys

from bay shore n.y.

also on the money list on az (predator tour and mezz)

cool with jerry at nycgrind.com and could have pics up all the time

will promote sell wear shirts or patches to represent my sponsor!

i'm not shane,hatch,mika but who here is sponsoring them on here?

i have heart........and will send back cue if we dont work or if we do we will make arrangments

With all due respect after some searching I did find your name. It says your winnings for 2009 $150.00, 2010 $100.00, 2011 $0.00
Is there something I am missing regarding your A player status?
Googled your name it brought up one mention of a 7th place finish a few years ago??????

Sport666

FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Silver Member
Like Randy asked earlier. What equipment are you using now. Also what is your local hall, do you have a local cue repair. Who have you played. Are you working hard and traveling. what tournaments have you entered ( valley forge?) and how you did. These are answer that might help and only scratch the surface. I know the young guys in my area always looking for action and tournament's in The tri state +. These kids baffle me the high $ cues they use. ( Zinzola, Lambros, South West, Decola)

Trent

Banned
You know i believe frankie beanz is being sincear (sp) but you kinda of went about it the wrong way sir.

you should ask the mods to delete this as im sure youve already realized your not going to get very far like this and having it deleted will save you some headaches.

if your as good as you think you are, or you say you are the SBE will be comming up before to long. show up meet the cuemakers, and then kick some ass in the tournament, dont ask for handouts Earn them! let your game speak for itself. chances are if your a nice guy and you do play well someone might pick you up.

but comming to a public forum saying your deserving and asking for cues.......... well you seen how that worked out.

Hmmmm

you know what im a decent player my self, you come to Players in whitehall ohio (just outside columbus) Play me a Set of 9ball 8ball and One Hole, you win all three ill build you a nice PJ cue I win i keep whatever your playing with, and in your signature block you have "I was unworthy" for the next yr.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
So, I have to ask you a question.
What makes them unworthy and yourself worthy, in your mind?

PS - I am a stand up guy myself. Just ask me. I have done something that I am sure that no one in the entire world has ever
done. I have worked since I was 14 and paid for everything I own with hard earned money.
Maybe you should try it sometime. It actually works.
In the past, I have been known to actually have 2 jobs (as in delivering pizzas) to pay for luxuries.

I could say more but will refrain. Good luck in your search for freebies.

blue hog ridr.....Taking into consideration the exchange rate, you had to work 1.7 times harder than I did. :thumbup: lol

Instead of looking for a freebies........ one could buy a cue lathe and build his own cues. A major company is not going to give away cues to an APA 3 or 4. If people see you miss a shot they might blame the cue. If SVB makes a good shot they will think it was the cue that made the shot.

IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN................

Kim

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Thats a good anology with the SVB cue, Kim.

If a C player has a sponsor, maybe he is connected with a sporting goods store or a pool hall in the family perhaps.

You also have to realize that much of the cue makers money can come from the repair end. With todays economy, cue makers aren't getting filthy rich on the sales side and they have over head. Myself, any money I make as a hobby gets put back into supplies.

Unless you have a personal friend that makes cues, its going to be a hard grind to find a sponsor.

And you are most correct in the generosity of the cue makers here.
Quite often you find the makers sending each other little odds and ends for free or a discount price. Because they know it will come back to them in the future.

If you had any idea of how many man hours it takes to put a decent cue together, then you would realize that there won't be any willing to send
one of their cues off into oblivion.

Like I said, I am also a fairly good player and I play with a $100 cue that I fixed up and a Varney conversion for a back up.
If I can play a decent game with a cheap cue, anyone can.

One lesson in life that I learned many moons ago.
Stop being sad for what you don't have and be grateful for what you do have.
I wake on the right side of the lawn every day and I have 2 hands that are capable of holding a cue. 2 legs to stand by a pool table. Take a look a round you some time and see all the people that can't say that.

Last edited:

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member
cue

Franky,
I have figured out a way you can show how good a player representative you would be and prove your not a mooch. There's a guy in your neck of the woods named Jerry Slivka, go play him some 9ball, 10ball or one pocket. If you win you will establish yourself as a true A+ player and you can take some of that winnings and buy a cue from any cue maker you want. All you have to do is beat some people in some long hard matches and people will be offering to sponsor you. Do you have any idea what Earl had to go through to get sponsored by cuetech?
Marc

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Franky,
I have figured out a way you can show how good a player representative you would be and prove your not a mooch. There's a guy in your neck of the woods named Jerry Slivka, go play him some 9ball, 10ball or one pocket. If you win you will establish yourself as a true A+ player and you can take some of that winnings and buy a cue from any cue maker you want. All you have to do is beat some people in some long hard matches and people will be offering to sponsor you. Do you have any idea what Earl had to go through to get sponsored by cuetech?
Marc

If you do get a sponsor, don't blow it like Earl did...............

Kim

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Sponsors want champions to represent them. Most cue makers would like free money also. You have done nothing to deserve anything.

When you are a champion multiple times you will be in the rarified air and sponsors will seek you out. Until then you are barking up the wrong tree with cue makers.

Good Luck to you but you need to grow up and smell the roses in the real world. You have delusions of grandeur or are just immature of the ways of the world.

Buy a lotto ticket, those odds are way better for what your are seeking.

Rick

danutz

Banned
Just hop a train down to penn station, i hear panhandlers make over 100k a year in NY.......would probabaly be to much like work for ya tho....

Last edited:

RBC

Deceased
As the owner of a company who not only has sponsored a player but also would consider sponsoring a player again, I have a few observations.

You do yourself a disservice by being anonymous. Lets face it, if I'm going to sponsor you, the first thing I need to know about is you. And if I don't even know your name, I have no place to start.

Stop using the term "sponsor". It screams charity, and no cuemaker or cue company wants to support someone. It's hard enough supporting our employees and our families. Realistically, its more advertising than anything else.

If you want something from a cue company or cuemaker, provide a way to earn it. We are all about selling our cues or products. Don't talk about helping to promote them, talk about how you will help sell them. It's all about ROI, or return on investment.

If you are good enough for people to follow you, then start a fan club. I know that if a player approached me with a real fan club that has a large number of members, then I would know that they can not only attract fans but also keep them. Basically, it shows that you can sell yourself. If you can't sell yourself to the public, then how can you help me sell my product?

Hopefully, all this comes across as supportive and positive. It's certainly meant that way. We in the industry work very hard for our money, and would expect nothing less from a player. Remember, it's not necessarily about how good you play. It's much more about how good you sell yourself, your image, and our products.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to give you some reality a lot of players over the years found a way to travel and cover expenses as best they could. I once bought a Schuler cue from Carlos Hallon at a tournament. He was sort of a player/representative. He didn't get any up front money or sponsorship, he had to sell cues. When he sold a cue he got a deposit, that was his commission. He then called in the order and it arrived C.O.D. Danny DiLiberto had Richard Black cues at one time he sold as well as McDermott cues and even Gina cues way back. I bought a Gina from him and gave him the money and about 12 weeks later the cue arrived. He would also give lessons, do exhibitions and even cover tables when he was on the road, anything to make money.

Buddy Hall represented Derby cues as well as Bludworth and he had to sell them to make money. He had an edge though because of who he was. People would buy cues from him just to meet him and get to sit and talk with him for a while as he gave them advice on the cue they were ordering. I think they liked saying they bought their cue from Buddy Hall. I used to know a guy named Jimmy Matts (sp?) He traveled in an Open Road motor home and hustled pool. He also had a stash of Meucci cues in the RV that he sold along the way. Heck, there used to be a guy called Rockaway Abe, I am sure there are some on here that knew him. He would be in the pool room and out side had a trunk full of all kinds of stuff from razor blades to shoes you could buy from him.
Grady Mathews did impromptu pool clinics in pool rooms often getting a few dozen people to pay like $20.00 for the three hour or so clinic.

The point is, they did what they had to do to get by. You want to be a pool player, unfortunately there is little to no money or future in playing pool. You might as well come on here and ask for money so you can spend you days fishing instead of getting a real job. People work hard for their money and don't just give it away. You can live your life in any way you chose but don't expect someone else to support you. The best you can probably do is get a full time or part time job and play pool on the side like 99% of the players. Many own pool rooms, fix cues, build cues and so on because they recognized pool in not a profession.

Last edited:

Hit Man

<-------GANGSTA'
Silver Member
frankybeanz

Some tough questions, but also some very fair ones by the cuemakers. Pool is an incredibly tough sport to make a buck in, thats no denyin'. But i will say this, Frankie puts his time in and he's a tough, heads up player. He's no chump. I've seen him knock off some heavy hitters at the local tourneys around the NYC area and he plays well. He's looking for a chance, a start. He's been the house man at Mr. Cue billiards in Lindenhurst for years. Maybe not plane fare and hotel fees. But something! This guy deserves a shot.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
No one is saying that he isn't a good guy.
He used you as a reference in one of his posts. And now you post pleading his case for him.

AZ has a young fella that we already sponsor. Robley F. Hes a fantastic guy and we all love him to death. Why, because we know him and he some credentials. What does Franky Beans do? Knock off a few locals. Big deal, anyone can do that.
So who is Franky Beans? He hasn't bothered to give anyone his real name. Frankly, Franky Beans sounds like a Mafia thug name.
You're asking well known cue makers to pack up a cue and send it off to a nick name.

If you feel that strongly about it, feel free to use some of your money and purchase a cue for him. No one is stopping you from doing that.

Have you bothered to read the entire thread?

I mean, after three pages of repairmen and cue makers telling you it isn't going to happen. What would your conclusion be?
If Franky B is that fantastic a player, then he must be doing all right with the cue he is currently using. Getting a new cue would just screw his game up anyway.

Last edited:

Mojocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
blue its just hard showing up at a tourny and seeing a c player being sponsored by predator or some local cuemaker

the best thing to give a c player would be a lesson .. jk

i doubt predator or any cue makers are sponsoring any c players if they are it isnt because of their game .. its because they have ties to many buyers
ie : own a pool room ... are a table mechanic ... sales in the 1000's of items a year on ebay ... ect ect

Hit Man

<-------GANGSTA'
Silver Member
No one is saying that he isn't a good guy.
He used you as a reference in one of his posts. And now you post pleading his case for him.

AZ has a young fella that we already sponsor. Robley F. Hes a fantastic guy and we all love him to death. Why, because we know him and he some credentials. What does Franky Beans do? Knock off a few locals. Big deal, anyone can do that.
So who is Franky Beans? He hasn't bothered to give anyone his real name. Frankly, Franky Beans sounds like a Mafia thug name.
You're asking well known cue makers to pack up a cue and send it off to a nick name.

If you feel that strongly about it, feel free to use some of your money and purchase a cue for him. No one is stopping you from doing that.

Have you bothered to read the entire thread?

I mean, after three pages of repairmen and cue makers telling you it isn't going to happen. What would your conclusion be?
If Franky B is that fantastic a player, then he must be doing all right with the cue he is currently using. Getting a new cue would just screw his game up anyway.

Ya, Ya, Ya, and I know a bunch of guys too that without a doubt deserve sponsorship. They never have the nerve to ask. Props to Franky just for asking. Whether it happens or not, not for me to decide. I personally wouldn't have had the balls to ask the way he did, but to each their own. One of the most prominate cuemakers on this forum called me at work tonite to ask me what's up with this guy. I told him straight out. Maybe you don't pay much attention when you go to the big tourneys and such, but it's sometimes the little mosters that come out of the wood work that do the most damage.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First cue I bought at age 14 was a Rich cue bought from Abe Rosen local houseman, world billiard champion and 300+ run in pool. He gave lessons , sold cues and whatever, West 79th Street and Broadway, upstairs. :) You know what it must have felt like for a player of his caliber to give lessons to wet behind the ears 14 year olds.

As far as Frankie Beanz is concerned why doesn't your employer sponser you. I'll do this much I do know you by sight but don't no anything about you...I'll check you out at the next tournament, ask a bunch of people about you, report back to the hungry masses over here. Oscar is breaking with one of my cues I'll ask him first.

Mario

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
little different perspective

To the OP, props for having the balls to ask for help. I dont think it was done properly, but how are you suppose to know how to ask? sometimes its best to just make it happen.

I think you have passed the first test by not getting snotty towards the scrutiny you've recieved so far.

So everyone only wants to sponsor a Champion right? Wrong, someone with that mentality would'nt have much to offer in the way of sponsorship.

Pool is full of scumbags

So the things i would look for is, How does this guy represent himself? Is he friends with everyone? Does he show up at alot of events? Does he compete at a high level consistently? Does he have good sportsmanship? Is he social? "social being very key"

The above things will stand out to people as much if not more than being a champion, especially when your surrounded by others not doing these things.

I think Robley is a fine example of someone who represents himself well, and others are proud to associate with him.

Dont give up

RBC

Deceased
Some tough questions, but also some very fair ones by the cuemakers. Pool is an incredibly tough sport to make a buck in, thats no denyin'. But i will say this, Frankie puts his time in and he's a tough, heads up player. He's no chump. I've seen him knock off some heavy hitters at the local tourneys around the NYC area and he plays well. He's looking for a chance, a start. He's been the house man at Mr. Cue billiards in Lindenhurst for years. Maybe not plane fare and hotel fees. But something! This guy deserves a shot.

Ralph

I appreciate your support of Frankie.

Although how good a player plays is important, its not the most important part. In fact, it's a long way from the most important part.

Your friend is asking for a cue or two to help him out. If he could go out and sell just a few cues for me he would more than pay for the cues he's asking for. If you think about it, a local player who is very influential in his local area could very easily pay his own way in "sponsorship" by simply selling a few cues. So, how he plays isn't as important as you think.

Everyone talks about skill, but skill is just part of the picture. Pool is different than many other sports. Football players can get paid for using their skills, as can many other high profile sports. But there are many sports where the skill doesn't really earn any money. Pool is like that. However, that skill can earn him the access to earn money in ways he would not have access to without that skill. What he needs to do is learn what is available to him. He now knows that just asking for a cue isn't really available, but he hasn't learned what is available to him. Maybe he should start by going to the owner of the room he plays out of and asking him "how can I help to improve your business". Maybe he can offer to do free lessons to new players once a week. He will need a lesson plan, and should represent the pool room properly, but that would be a good start.

Also, he needs to know that, when he represents a company, he is on stage anytime he's in front of pool players of any kind. When I sponsor a player and he acts poorly, it reflects on me and my business. It doesn't matter where he is, it matters if the people who witness his poor actions know he represents me. I tell this same thing to my employees. Just because they are not on the clock, the public knows where they work.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to see Frankie and many others like him prosper from our sport. If we had more players who thought about these things maybe our sport could beat the bad rap it has.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious for your opinion on Frankie's comment.

"its very tough here if your not in the loop they make it tough! "

What do you make of that, who is the "They" he refers to? It sounds like no one has any use for the guy, nor him for any one else with his other comments about the unworthy players who have sponsors he is jealous of. Maybe they can run a fund raiser for him at the pool room where he works, I am sure they would raise a lot more money from his friends then strangers on an internet board.