2012 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did 16 today. No video. It was a match in our 14.1 round robin. I was playing Jake who is rated at 125 to my 90. Jake was at 121 when I ran 11 and out. I continued the run to 16. Neither one of us was playing well. We each miss a number of very easy shots.

Dave Nelson

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I did 16 today. No video. It was a match in our 14.1 round robin. I was playing Jake who is rated at 125 to my 90. Jake was at 121 when I ran 11 and out. I continued the run to 16. Neither one of us was playing well. We each miss a number of very easy shots.

Dave Nelson

Nice making the balls with the pressure of the match hanging in the balance. Always sweeter that way!

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

Dave Nelson

I envy you guys! You get to play races to 125 in round robin format? Wow! We're lucky to get to play any Straight Pool in competition at all…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I envy you guys! You get to play races to 125 in round robin format? Wow! We're lucky to get to play any Straight Pool in competition at all…

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

I really get sad while i remember the old times- We had a pure Straight-pool league in germany. was just great. I m still not sure if it s really the right way to try to make pool more popular with putting straight-pool into the corner :(

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Jan 11, picked up my cue for the first time in maybe a month or so, ran 14, missed a long break ball and ran 53. So put me up for 53 on Jan 11. Maybe the year 2012 is the century year for me... finally :)

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Hey David.
I know, there is a discussion in Finland also to cut down the number of 14.1 ranking events, but there are always (luckily) a number of usually very good players objecting this. Maybe it's the young video generation which likes to get an instant rush or something and favour the rotation games. This is quite sad. For me straight pool is the only way to keep up my stroke as I play maybe twice a month nowadays.

Looking forward to play a few racks of 14.1 against you David, coming to Finland anytime? :)

-Mikko

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Hey David.
I know, there is a discussion in Finland also to cut down the number of 14.1 ranking events, but there are always (luckily) a number of usually very good players objecting this. Maybe it's the young video generation which likes to get an instant rush or something and favour the rotation games. This is quite sad. For me straight pool is the only way to keep up my stroke as I play maybe twice a month nowadays.

Looking forward to play a few racks of 14.1 against you David, coming to Finland anytime? :)

-Mikko

Know what? That sounds like a great idea! I could try your cues for once (and bring along more for you to try).

During the decades of my "absence" from pool, when I played in one event each year (the National Team Cup - no longer being held, sad…), apart from spending some time with my old friends/fellow club members, another one the reasons to participate was that one team member would play Straight Pool (yours truly!).

Today, one is virtually forced to participate in the National Singles Championships to get to play any Straight Pool in competition at all, the disadvantage being that it usually takes too long to get adjusted, and then when one's just getting into the grove, the event's already over, bye, bye, see you again next year…

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I only got my Scruggs but it sure plays lights out, at least for me :)

Last autumn I participated in 14.1 Finnish National Championships for the first time in 3 years and even though it was played on tight pockets, for some reason I found my groove and managed to get a silver medal only to get beat by Finland's top player at the time Petri Makkonen, twice :)

So it seems I'm not a totally lost case yet. But anyway if you want to visit Finland, come during the summer. It's much better than the cold winter here...

Greets from Finland,
Mikko

Know what? That sounds like a great idea! I could try your cues for once (and bring along more for you to try).

During the decades of my "absence" from pool, when I played in one event each year (the National Team Cup - no longer being held, sad…), apart from spending some time with my old friends/fellow club members, another one the reasons to participate was that one team member would play Straight Pool (yours truly!).

Today, one is virtually forced to participate in the National Singles Championships to get to play any Straight Pool in competition at all, the disadvantage being that it usually takes too long to get adjusted, and then when one's just getting into the grove, the event's already over, bye, bye, see you again next year…

David_Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats fantastic....Well Done David !

Thanks... appreciate that. I was trying really hard to break 50 , which can be a real challenge on this table, for the fkirst time tbhis year. The balls were opening well and I should still be shooting but I clipped a ball trying to get too good on the next ball so I could be sure and not move a good break ball on the next shot.

The good news is I'm far from dead stroke since I just started back playing and my concentration was very good, a little too good at the end, lol. The bad news is without being in dead punch and ideal weather this run will be nearly impossible to beat on this table.

I also appreciate all that you and others have done to keep this game rolling and I hope it picks up more speed.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I played quite a bit this past week or two and I'm sure I've only hit the mid 20s. I'll put something down once I get into the 30s at least. :p My goal is 60 this year after completing my goal of 50 last year. :p

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
38. Scratched on 39. My second highest run ever. The problem is my high runs come Presidential terms, even Papacies apart!

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Got some 14.1 practice in. Brand new cloth so the balls were opening up really nicely. I ran a 50, 55, 76 and more 5's and 8's in between than I care to admit to lol. Regardless high run for the year so far, 76.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
3 runs like yours in one practice session are very strong. congrats:)

lg
Ingo

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Jan 22 - managed to produce a 14 going into the second rack, how strong is that LOL. Missed the initial break, continued with the position and missed the very next ball after the next break (no good shot).

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
Put me down for a 15, it will give me a reason to break my high run for the year. B-day is coming up... gonna run a 32 soooon! :cool:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
38. Scratched on 39. My second highest run ever. The problem is my high runs come Presidential terms, even Papacies apart!

Gene: I think we may have a horse race. I assumed I slipped ahead with my 38 a few days ago, but saw that you got there one day earlier. Congrats!