2012 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

DASHZNT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Threw together a 13 yesterday and I made a bad choice of shot that pretty much capped the chance to get into the second rack and break a new high... It's not much but I'm trying to get there step by step. I enclosed a video of it and I'm looking forward to any advice to get more consistent and create just a little higher runs... Like turning 10-14s into 20-29s would be ideal!!

14.1 Straight Pool 13 Ball Run - Feb 13, 2012

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Practice.......

Threw together a 13 yesterday and I made a bad choice of shot that pretty much capped the chance to get into the second rack and break a new high... It's not much but I'm trying to get there step by step. I enclosed a video of it and I'm looking forward to any advice to get more consistent and create just a little higher runs... Like turning 10-14s into 20-29s would be ideal!!

OK, You need to stop & think before you take a shot & say to yourself: "what shot am I going to shoot next?" and "what type of english do I use on this shot?"
After the break shot, you take a hard shot (7-ball) to the top left corner. You had an easy 5 ball combo in the lower left corner. It was very makeable where the cue was located.
You shoot the 1-ball in the top left corner and put a lot of draw on the cue ball.... Why? No reason for that. The 8 ball was sitting by the side pocket to the up side of the table. These are the shots that you need to ask yourself those two questions before shooting. You should of just used a Stop shot on the cue ball. You would of had a nice easy shot on the 8-ball which would of allowed the cue ball to easily roll down table for those open balls. Instead, you had to shoot the 8-ball from a bad angle making the cue ball roll all around the table not knowing where it was going.
You end up shooting that 5 ball combo that you should of taken at first.
You shoot the 9 ball in the lower left corner also putting a lot of draw on the cue ball in that problem area located on the left side of the table. Why??? Why not just a Stop shot. Then you would of had those problem balls in the right side pocket. There is more but this is enough for now for you to work on. Think about those questions. You are on the right track. Enjoyed watching your video & I hope that I have help you with these comments.
PS: Great Table.

Last edited:

DASHZNT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, You need to stop & think before you take a shot & say to yourself: "what shot am I going to shoot next?" and "what type of english do I use on this shot?"
After the break shot, you take a hard shot (7-ball) to the top left corner. You had an easy 5 ball combo in the lower left corner. It was very makeable where the cue was located.
You shoot the 1-ball in the top left corner and put a lot of draw on the cue ball.... Why? No reason for that. The 8 ball was sitting by the side pocket to the up side of the table. These are the shots that you need to ask yourself those two questions before shooting. You should of just used a Stop shot on the cue ball. You would of had a nice easy shot on the 8-ball which would of allowed the cue ball to easily roll down table for those open balls. Instead, you had to shoot the 8-ball from a bad angle making the cue ball roll all around the table not knowing where it was going.
You end up shooting that 5 ball combo that you should of taken at first.
You shoot the 9 ball in the lower left corner also putting a lot of draw on the cue ball in that problem area located on the left side of the table. Why??? Why not just a Stop shot. Then you would of had those problem balls in the right side pocket. There is more but this is enough for now for you to work on. Think about those questions. You are on the right track. Enjoyed watching your video & I hope that I have help you with these comments.
PS: Great Table.

I appreciate the comments. The answers to your questions are simply personal preference and just not taking enough time to let the body catch up with my mind i guess. I gotta find that right pace for me because too slow just hinders me for some reason just like too fast will you as well. I have a couple matches scheduled for tonight in my 15.1 league, I'm planning on taping them, I hope to get s few nice runs so I can have more material to critique.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Daz,

Mikey gave you already a really good comment and also great advices.
Always remember: Straight-Pool is a game where you have to *rethink* very often! As soon you ran a bit out of position, you need to make your new plan. Plan always for 3 balls minimum-
And if you re having about 5-7 balls left on the table, make your plan for the breakshot. Plan backwards from the breakball- how it is easy for you to get into a good breakball position.
You re already shooting nicley and that s why i recommend you here to start to play really with creating your plans.
And as Captain Hook aka Mike Sigel said: I never shot a ball before i am sure that i make it- if you feel uncomfortable-for what reason ever- step back, have a close look again and if you re sure to make the ball- go down and just make the ball! Making the ball must always be your first goal.
All sounds a bit *easy*- but it isn t for sure :)
Have fun and keep shooting,
lg
Ingo

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Here is my analysis from this morning that I sent to you by email.

Might as well put it in here so all comments are together.

Nate: In the future why not just start a brand new thread and invite comments? That way everyone will see and you will have the possibility of multiple points of view.

Nice break, good follow, pretty good dispersion of the balls. Look for a break ball and a key ball immediately. 11 looks to be best break ball with 3 as a key or maybe 8 as a key.

Look for problems immediately. Too many balls on the left side. Especially on or near the long rail. Combo so that is good. Start clearing that area up asap. Do not know if you could have shot the combo from where you were. If so, do that rather than take the 7. The 7 is not really a problem and is a good ball to keep out there to shoot somewhere while you are clearing up your problems.

When you do shoot the 7 it would be better to just stop and then shoot the combo rather than follow if that makes the shot makeable about the same way. That ball in the side would have been a nice safety valve for you when you shot the combo and came out a bit. Instead you clear it off and then go down away from your problem area to clear off the 1 ball. Two more balls that will not be there to help bail you out for when you do start clearing your problems.

When you finally start clearing that rail, you only had 8 balls left. Doable but you would have liked to have started earlier. So when you shot the combo, you created another problem. Not fatal, but needs to be solved. Softer hit on the combo or thinking about how the balls would react might help there.

At 2:16, it looked like you might have had a solution to the new problem. Shoot the 9 in, stop and shoot the 15 in the side bumping the other one up, and having the stripe on the bottom as a safety valve. But you shoot too hard and drew out and now it is just about over.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Practice.....

I appreciate the comments. The answers to your questions are simply personal preference and just not taking enough time to let the body catch up with my mind i guess. I gotta find that right pace for me because too slow just hinders me for some reason just like too fast will you as well. I have a couple matches scheduled for tonight in my 15.1 league, I'm planning on taping them, I hope to get s few nice runs so I can have more material to critique.

I am not one to ever criticize on these Threads but "Personal Preference" just does cut it in this situation. Specially, when your preference is way off track. You need to step back and read the table. You can practice all you want but if you are practicing incorrectly, you will not get any where. Learn to take in comments of other senior players when you ask for advise. Use those comments to your benefit. As for the right pace, you were shooting balls like a machine gun, there was no time in your pace to plan anything.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I am not one to ever criticize on these Threads but "Personal Preference" just does cut it in this situtation. Specially, when your preference is way off track. You need to step back and read the table. You can practice all you want but if you are practicing incorrectly, you will not get any where. Learn to take in comments of other senior players when you ask for advise. Use those comments to your benfit. As for the right pace, you were shooting balls like a machine gun, there was no time in your pace to plan anything.

Nate: Listen up to Mike, here. He is a 100 ball runner and a pretty darn good teacher, too. Mike-Congrats on your recent hondo.

DASHZNT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh I am, and by no means am I being disrespectful I simply an stating that was my personal choice of shots that was in line with my confidence and pattern choice, albeit, it was the wrong one, it still is progress and I am learning on what shots I need to work on more so that I can get the confidence necessary with the other shots I didn't like at that particular time which happened to be the ones I should have shot... You guys are 100% correct and have been playing alot longer than I have been on this ball of mud so I completely appreciate the input.. I thank you all very much.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member

Throw me down for a 36 on 2/14/12. Not getting as much table time as I need and it's killing my game....grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Ron F

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member

Ran 98 tonight. I missed a very makeable good break shot.... I was laughing to myself when I took the shot b/c I was playing so well that it was scary.....
Stevie, I started out recording my practice. I ran a good number of 40's, kept on getting stuck in the rack to end runs. Finally my one battery ran out & that is when I hit the 98.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Wow Mikey,

the *boy* is back in buisness^^, congrats for a high number my friend.

lg
Ingo

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Kicked-off my 14.1 league tonight & finished it off with a 43 & out. I didn't even think about continuing on to see where that run would end up. I was so happy about running out the game from 107 that I shook his hand & broke down my cue! DUH!

Please put me down for 43 as of 2/16/12.

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14 run in practice...

On 02/08/2012, I had a short practice session with a high run of 14. This was my first session of the year. After I ran the 14, I started tracking my runs. I didn't count any inning where I played a safety. Here are my innings:

14, 5, 12, 9, 4, 3, 6, 1, 2, 10, 0, 2, 0, 0, 14, 9, 2, 4, 13, 1, 9.

High run: 14
Low run: 0
Avg.: 5.7

I plan to track my innings during practice this year. It is something I have never done. It will give me a better idea of my consistency and improvement than just tracking the occasional high run.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member

I ran 100 even tonight. Made the 101st ball & scratched. I had a long straight in shot on a ball that was 2" from the pocket. I wanted to hit it a little to the left. Instead, I hit it dead center and the cue ball followed the ball right into the corner pocket.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Congrats Mikey!
You start to scare me, lol- you re running latley so constantly runs over 100 and near 100-amazing.

(and this without changing your grip, stroke, stance etc.....:D *insider jk* )

lg
Ingo

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please put me in at a 32. I don't know what it is about this game that makes me nutz? I have had the same amount of balls( 24 ) in straight pool as in 8 ball for about 20 years!!!!
Until tonight. Seems like I always do something stupid to end a wide open table.
I will usually leave myself stuck on a ball. I curse the da## game.
Maybe I FINALLY have come out of my funk? :embarrassed2:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Congrats Mikey!
You start to scare me, lol- you re running latley so constantly runs over 100 and near 100-amazing.

(and this without changing your grip, stroke, stance etc.....:D *insider jk* )

lg
Ingo

danken Sie meine gut Freund.
ich denken ich schlieBlich bekam meine handeln zusammen.