How Fractional Aiming Systems Help

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
If you set 2 balls up and do a slight, 1/2 inch movement (estimate) with your eyes the ctel just rotates around the ob slightly. Put the balls straight up and down the table and just move your head a little.

That may be a key to my understanding..... I don't move my head once I lock in and Ekkes explains in SEE that I set down on a specific line for my starting visual..... I must have missed or missunderstood something in watching the CTE DVD... Back to the DVD player tomorrow...

Thanks for a possible hint cookie man

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you understand what I said above, then what does "still using the ctel" mean? Once you move your head your eyes can no longer see along the ctel, so it must mean something else.

I think it probably means something different to everybody. This is where the "non-system" part of the system begins - the part that I think the system makes easier for you but doesn't tell you exactly how to do it. I keep pointing this out because how the system makes the non-system part easier without telling you exactly how to do it is what I'm interested in.

pj
chgo

Everything you and others have asked is answered precisely, and more than once on the CTE/Pro-One DVD!!

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Everything you and others have asked is answered precisely, and more than once on the CTE/Pro-One DVD!!

Your intuition for the system then far exceeds that of those of us who ask questions if you truly believe what you wrote...... If they were answered precisely I would not still be thinking I wanted the hours of my 3 viewings back... Maybe 4 will be the trick.....

Since you get it..... how about splainin something instead of pointing back to the DVD that so far has done nothing for me but waste minutes and hours of my time I won't get back until I have an understanding of the system as a whole..........

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your intuition for the system then far exceeds that of those of us who ask questions if you truly believe what you wrote...... If they were answered precisely I would not still be thinking I wanted the hours of my 3 viewings back... Maybe 4 will be the trick.....

Since you get it..... how about splainin something instead of pointing back to the DVD that so far has done nothing for me but waste minutes and hours of my time I won't get back until I have an understanding of the system as a whole..........

I truely believe what I wrote!! It's all there!! Work at it, put in the time and put it all together!! It's not unlike anything else, you have to put in the time, whether it be ghostball, CP to CP, HAMB or by "FEEL" or anything else someone may care to use!! You have to work at it!! I don't know why you guys with the DVD don't go straight to the source to get your questions answered? Stan will be more than happy to help you out!! And if the guy who said he was watching Stevie Moore and that he hasn't been using CTE/ Pro-One is sadly mistaken!!

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around here people switch to 1hole when they start missing... I would hazard a guess that since that is the game you mention you and Lou started missing early in life because you had no systems so you decided to play the game where missing didn't hurt so much..

At this point I am neither a naysayer or a yeasayer so I am not quite an ASS guy... I am more like and AS guy.... in AS if I care what a cynic thinks about systems....

No disrespect intended, but your statement (in red) defines you as a 'banger' totally out of touch with the reality of the best action
game in pool, which is way to advanced for people still TRYING desperately, to try and learn how to make a ball go in the hole..:cool:

Also, your second statement appears a little hypocritical, given your sig line...

"I don't see the same way you do. So sit there and use your perfect vision to watch while I use my aiming system to run out"
The Renfro

So Mr Renfro,..this means our communication is over...Please send up the next smartest ASS guy, before I get too bored, and go away...I don't think I have enough time left to educate you poor fellows anyway..:boring2:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
No disrespect intended, but your statement (in red) defines you as a 'banger' totally out of touch with the reality of the best action
game in pool, which is way to advanced for people still TRYING desperately, to try and learn how to make a ball go in the hole..:cool:

Also, your second statement appears a little hypocritical, given your sig line...

So Mr Renfro,..this means our communication is over...Please send up the next smartest ASS guy, before I get too bored, and go away...I don't think I have enough time left to educate you poor fellows anyway..:boring2:

And the point, once again, is that this particular aiming thread has moved along quite nicely, even including some former combatants.

We would appreciate it if you don't come in here and try to de-rail it.

It is fine for you to have your opinions about aiming systems, and such. (Same with Lou.) Just state them somewhere else, and stop trying to make this thread end up like all the others before it. Even Lou has maintained a bit of restraint in this thread, thus far. (Here's to hoping it stays that way.)

Again, I congratulate Patrick on trying to work with people to figure this stuff out, or at least further each others understanding a bit. It is quite refreshing.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And an even bigger coincidence that in the last several big events the top finishers are all aiming system users.

Names and "last big events" they were "the top finishers" in, please.

And BTW -- the guys I mentioned -- they all told me their opinion personally. I'm not guessing :)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You hard core group of ASS guy's can rant on and on, (as per this thread) about the marvels of aiming systems. It must be frustrating for you all, that try as you might, you still can't beat the old, amateur Lou, or a REALLY old has been (like me)...at an actual, real live game of pool...Especially a game like one pocket, where you have to do a little more than just "pivot" your brains out, and worry about where your eyeballs are.

The game requires the "touch" and "feel" that all of you are searching in vain for... It just seems strange, to see grown men so infatuated with a concept that you can't even explain it to each other...Wouldn't it be more productive, to constantly argue about how all the Pro's, now touting "aiming systems" actually ALL learned the old fashioned (million ball) way", and also had natural talent, from the womb.

But thats OK, if you really 'master' one of the 40 or 50 "secrets of aiming"... you MAY actually be able to accurately pocket the LAST ball on the table. Providing of course, it's not a 'scratch shot'...as I don't see where thats covered in your "lessons"

PS..You might check with m'bud, JoeyA..He's tried all 50 of 'em,...and he STILL can't beat Lou..;)

Dick, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I don't think any of this has ever had to do with who can beat who. Even whether individual pro players use or don't use any particular aiming system, while fun to poke around, really has little bearing on the discussion.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around here people switch to 1hole when they start missing... I would hazard a guess that since that is the game you mention you and Lou started missing early in life because you had no systems so you decided to play the game where missing didn't hurt so much........

If you wanna back Lou against JoeyA in 9ball or 10ball where misses matter I think the rail will match whats in your pocket....

No disrespect intended but we were actually making some progress this time without someone trying to set the thread on fire....

At this point I am neither a naysayer or a yeasayer so I am not quite an ASS guy... I am more like and AS guy.... in AS if I care what a cynic thinks about systems....

Your mind has been closed by years of doing it your way.... The id and the ego no longer are relevant... And the critical part of the Super-Ego is all that's left so it rails at anything that might even hint at the fact there was a different or perhaps better way to get "where" you ended up or that those methods would have changed exactly "where" is.....

Like I said, it's not whether anyone can beat anyone. Having said that, I posted that I would be in New Orleans two weeks ago. I was in The Big Easy for five days. I played at Joey's home room two days. And nary a peep from Joey. I was told why by the locals, but regardless, quite obviously Joey isn't interested in playing me, so all this is moot.

Lou Figueroa
hasn't played
a rotation game
in years

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Names and "last big events" they were "the top finishers" in, please.

And BTW -- the guys I mentioned -- they all told me their opinion personally. I'm not guessing :)

Lou Figueroa

Maybe he's referring to the Players Championship where Shane, Stevie and Darren took the top 3 spots--- shaft edge system, Pro1 and SEE system users.

Once again, this is another "I spoke to _____ who said ____; therefore, I'm right" post by Lou.

champ2107

Banned
You hard core group of ASS guy's can rant on and on, (as per this thread) about the marvels of aiming systems. It must be frustrating for you all, that try as you might, you still can't beat the old, amateur Lou, or a REALLY old has been (like me)...at an actual, real live game of pool...Especially a game like one pocket, where you have to do a little more than just "pivot" your brains out, and worry about where your eyeballs are.

The game requires the "touch" and "feel" that all of you are searching in vain for... It just seems strange, to see grown men so infatuated with a concept that you can't even explain it to each other...Wouldn't it be more productive, to constantly argue about how all the Pro's, now touting "aiming systems" actually ALL learned the old fashioned (million ball) way", and also had natural talent, from the womb.

But thats OK, if you really 'master' one of the 40 or 50 "secrets of aiming"... you MAY actually be able to accurately pocket the LAST ball on the table. Providing of course, it's not a 'scratch shot'...as I don't see where thats covered in your "lessons"

PS..You might check with m'bud, JoeyA..He's tried all 50 of 'em,...and he STILL can't beat Lou..;)

i only read a couple lines of yours....it honestly means nothing to me if im the worst player on this site and how good everyone else is.Im also pretty sure i play the least amount of pool out of everyone in this thread also, But i do like using and talking about cye/pro1 and you should learn to deal with that.

PS:it means nothing to me who joeyA can and cant beat...JoeyA is a good guy!!

Last edited:

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
To me this looks like lots of other methods, it gives you a choice of a few different cut angles. If the shot happens to call for one of those angles, great! But very much like shaft aiming, its not very effective without adjustment(or unless the ob is close to the pocket). That doesnt mean it wont work, just that feel will usually be required. Very much like using the diamond system for a kick, I see this as a reference as opposed to a system.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you set 2 balls up and do a slight, 1/2 inch movement (estimate) with your eyes the ctel just rotates around the ob slightly. Put the balls straight up and down the table and just move your head a little.
If you have to move your eyes to see another edge of the OB, why doesn't the CB's center have to move to "see" the same thing? Can the CB's center see around corners?

The center-to-edge line (ctel) cannot "rotate" - this is geometry so basic that there's absolutely no question about it. Yet imaginary "rotating edges" have been one of the "go-to" excuses for fractional aiming "exactness" since the systems were first described. This kind of credibility gap is at the heart of much of the ongoing disagreement and acrimony.

pj
chgo

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have to move your eyes to see another edge of the OB, why doesn't the CB's center have to move to "see" the same thing? Can the CB's center see around corners?

The center-to-edge line (ctel) cannot "rotate" - this is geometry so basic that there's absolutely no question about it. Yet imaginary "rotating edges" have been one of the "go-to" excuses for fractional aiming "exactness" since the systems were first described. This kind of credibility gap is at the heart of much of the ongoing disagreement and acrimony.

pj
chgo

Yep, this is the part that had me turning the DVD off the first 2 times I watched it. Didn't make sense to my mathematical mind at all.

However, in practice, you can start by visualizing the CTE line and simultaneously visualizing the secondary line, say to point A or C (1/4) for "normal" cuts. With a slight movement of your head, body, eyes, etc., you can pick up point B (1/2) but still see the CTEL, just from a different perspective. This is the part that's the hardest to explain or diagram, but I've now showed 3 or 4 players in the room the system and by them standing behind me while I'm pointing or explaining, or vice versa, they get it.

I'm not sure if it's what Stan intended, but I tend to think of it as for most normal shots I'm starting with the CTEL as a base and looking at about a 3/4 overlap of the ball, since the edge of the cue ball is pointing to the 1/4 point on the object ball. For thinner cuts, I'm still seeing the CTEL but looking at a 1/2 overlap, and I get there by just leaning or moving my eyes slightly. That slight movement gives me a different visual path along which I can move into the shot, pivot and shoot.

Agree with previous posters that while all of the content is on the DVD, it can be difficult to pick it up from a position of zero knowledge. Especially if you have years of experience aiming another way, or like me your analytical mind is screaming at you that it doesn't make sense. You do sort of have to work through it, but once it makes sense then you can see where certain important concepts are covered just not in an in-your-face sort of way. I'm not sure I would have gotten there without help from Stan and several people here on the forum.

I appreciate your openness in the discussion Patrick, you've been very civil even in the face of others not always returning the favor. I wish several other people could get past the point that using CTE/Pro1 or other aiming systems does not mean you are automatically going to beat x person or never miss. There's a lot more to the game as we all should know. What it will do, assuming your previous aiming approach was not working optimally for you, is improve your ball pocketing percentage and perhaps also help with your preshot routine, again assuming that needed refinement.

I wish that certain components of it weren't as nebulous as they are, I think that's where a lot of the disbelief and mystical nature comes in. It's not impossible, just difficult, to discuss visualization on paper as everyone sees things different. That's why I've said many times before that maybe the visualization piece is not geometric in nature but just what Stan says, visual intellligence. Even so, it's using your eyes and your internal computer to find an aim point in a very specific manner, and once you find that point the rest of the shot is very similar to any other aiming approach.

Scott

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I never try to view the CTEL and the secondary reference line at the same time. I always find the CTEL first, then make the slight adjustment to the secondary line. There is no looking "around" the CTEL for me. Therefore, I only see and use two possible CTEL lines for any CB/OB position. This is how I use Stans system too, although I don't think he teaches it this way. I think with Stans system the lines are very close anyways, but the secondary line is the important one to have locked in. Starting at CTEL helps avoid perception errors. Just to note, 90/90 is pretty much the 1/2 ball hybrid system without the CTEL.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Like I said, it's not whether anyone can beat anyone. Having said that, I posted that I would be in New Orleans two weeks ago. I was in The Big Easy for five days. I played at Joey's home room two days. And nary a peep from Joey. I was told why by the locals, but regardless, quite obviously Joey isn't interested in playing me, so all this is moot.

Lou Figueroa
hasn't played
a rotation game
in years

Lou,
A few things.

1. Quit trying to draw me into responding to you. You are supposed to have me on ignore but all you do is make little snide remarks and innuendos about Joey this and Joey that. You're starting to remind me of another creep I know and I don't appreciate your constant needling.

2. This past weekend I was visiting a nephew out of town. I did come to the pool room on Sunday night for a few hours, worked Monday day and came back to play a few hours on Monday night. Even if I was in town, I wouldn't have the stomach to play you a match of tiddly-winks. It's just the way it is. You're little more than a troll and a stalker and I don't have the interest to put up with your shit.

3. Leave these threads alone or at least leave me out of your posts and quit trying to hijack them with your ad hominem attacks. Your poorly veiled attempts to engage me are transparent and just pathetic. I really don't want anything to do with you. I hope that is clear to you.

Joey

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I "somewhat" agree -- I know what you're getting at, but it's not entirely true. Although the relationship of one ball's center to the other ball's edge is always the same, that perspective does rotate around the circumference of the object ball -- it is a round object, afterall. So that CTEL's reference *to the table surface* does indeed change, as you move your head.

So if you are looking directly overhead the CTEL, if you move your head to the left as Dave ("cookie man") says, you now see more of the table surface that was "under" the left edge of the object ball. Thus, the CTEL, for you (your perception of it) *has* changed.

Sure, geometry-wise, the CTEL is always a mathematical constant -- a line drawn from the center of one ball, tangentially to the edge of the other ball, is always a constant. But in relation to the way the spherical objects "sit" on the table surface, the particular perception of that line *does* move in relation to the static position that the balls sit on the table surface.

Summary: the table surface is static. The balls sitting on them are static. But, as your head moves, so does your perception of the CTEL in reference to these static constants.

I'm not sure if my explanation makes any sense, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

-Sean

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yep, ["rotating edges"] is the part that had me turning the [CTE] DVD off the first 2 times I watched it. Didn't make sense to my mathematical mind at all.
And I'm sure lots of other people too. By insisting that it all does make geometric sense the system probably puts off as many potential users as it attracts.

However, in practice, you can start by visualizing the CTE line and simultaneously visualizing the secondary line, say to point A or C (1/4) for "normal" cuts. With a slight movement of your head, body, eyes, etc., you can pick up point B (1/2) but still see the CTEL, just from a different perspective.
Sure. "Visualizing" the CTE line and the aimpoint line simultaneously (what the system calls "acquiring the visual") clearly doesn't mean that you're looking directly along both of them simultaneously, maybe you're not looking directly along either of them. You're not "forced" into a certain viewpoint for the shot; you're given a range of possibilities suggested by the juxtaposition of the two lines and you need to choose the right "combination view" for the specific shot at hand. The lines are the "references" and your choice of final eye position is the first part of the subjective "adjustment".

Agree with previous posters that while all of the content is on the DVD, it can be difficult to pick it up from a position of zero knowledge.
I don't think Stan or (most of) his system users have this "rational" understanding of the system, and frankly I don't think they need it. The system obviously works for them without it, and maybe it wouldn't work so well for them with it.

But I think the system (or something like it) can work for many others without the pretense of "exactness", and I think that (maybe much larger) part of the system's potential market is being lost. Even more unfortunately, I think more analytically minded players are missing out on the system's potential usefulness to them - because the way it's described obscures that.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lou,
A few things.

1. Quit trying to draw me into responding to you. You are supposed to have me on ignore but all you do is make little snide remarks and innuendos about Joey this and Joey that. You're starting to remind me of another creep I know and I don't appreciate your constant needling.

2. This past weekend I was visiting a nephew out of town. I did come to the pool room on Sunday night for a few hours, worked Monday day and came back to play a few hours on Monday night. Even if I was in town, I wouldn't have the stomach to play you a match of tiddly-winks. It's just the way it is. You're little more than a troll and a stalker and I don't have the interest to put up with your shit.

3. Leave these threads alone or at least leave me out of your posts and quit trying to hijack them with your ad hominem attacks. Your poorly veiled attempts to engage me are transparent and just pathetic. I really don't want anything to do with you. I hope that is clear to you.

Joey

Lou:

I'm quoting this because I think Joey has a valid point here. You have Joey on Ignore, but you don't hesitate to "lob a stinky one" over the fence and then, by virtue of his membership in your Ignore list, "not be there" for the retaliatory reply.

Look, I'm not a fan, either, of: Joey's blue ink; school-marm-with-1950s-glasses admonishment of peoples/behaviors he doesn't agree with; usage of the divisive "yeahsayers" and "naysayers" terms (terms *he* coined to cement the fence that various folks now find themselves looking over); and outright marketing on the forums under the guise of "helping one's pool game." I get it, all of it. (And sorry for the editorializing, Joey, but you know I call 'em as I see 'em, and none of this is news to you, either.)

But in this, he has a valid point. The purpose of Ignore is just that -- to make like someone doesn't exist. I think continuing to needle him while you have him on Ignore is bad form.

-Sean